Automotive

Driving a FWD car with 2 winter tires only (front tires)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 3:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2019
33 posts
3 upvotes

Driving a FWD car with 2 winter tires only (front tires)

Does ti make sense to drive a FWD car with 2 winter tires only (front tires)? My friend has an old car 1999 Toyota Corolla and he is doing it; apparently his mechanic told him its ok
57 replies
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
456 upvotes
No

If anything the 2 winters should go on the back for stability
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
277 upvotes
No matter what kind of vehicle you drive, never mount two winter tires on the front axle without also mounting them on the rear axle. Only installing snow tires on the front wheels increases the risk of losing rear tire traction while braking or cornering on wintery roads.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-a ... snow-tires

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4462 posts
851 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I did this one winter in the 90s on a FWD because a "wise car guy" said it would be ok. It was not. In bad weather/wet stopping and turning corners became terrifying - in the 80's I put winters on the rear for a RWD mustang and it was ok (controlling fishtailing was an endless drama)
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2578 posts
1403 upvotes
ontario
It's fine. Did it for many years. Made my fwd vehicles behave more 'neutral' as they tend to understeer badly. You just need to be aware of the altered handling characteristics
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
866 upvotes
its just fine for fukwhits and dimwhits
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16196 posts
17630 upvotes
Oakville
rh1974 wrote: Does ti make sense to drive a FWD car with 2 winter tires only (front tires)? My friend has an old car 1999 Toyota Corolla and he is doing it; apparently his mechanic told him its ok
No, his mechanic is stupid or wants him to crash so he can repair the car.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
456 upvotes
Without a full set of winter tires your car will literally implode.

You have guts for posting this on RFD. I’m surprised they haven’t rallied with pitch forms to burn your car down
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16196 posts
17630 upvotes
Oakville
rh1974 wrote: Does ti make sense to drive a FWD car with 2 winter tires only (front tires)? My friend has an old car 1999 Toyota Corolla and he is doing it; apparently his mechanic told him its ok
You also don't get the winter tire discount from your insurance if you don't have all 4 wheels on winters. It's basically a waste of effort to put 2 on. You'd be better off running on snowflake rated all-weather tires than wasting your time swapping 2 tires each season.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11643 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
The mechanic was like, this guy still drive a soon 21yrs old Corolla, whatever ......

Real answer is you better off put the 2 winter tires at the back even it is a FWD, even better to put 4 winter tires, or the best is change for a newer car + 4 winter tires.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9017 posts
10314 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Clearly a trick question....A for sure to appreciate classic like a 1999 Corolla should be stored winters and only brought out for car shows anyways.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45424 posts
8443 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
engineered wrote: You also don't get the winter tire discount from your insurance if you don't have all 4 wheels on winters. It's basically a waste of effort to put 2 on. You'd be better off running on snowflake rated all-weather tires than wasting your time swapping 2 tires each season.
RE : all weathers...
I love these type of tires.
They are getting cheap now too... it used to only be nokians which are pricey, but good quality and performance.
Now i see really cheapo made in china ones that are all weather rated. They looked soooo affordable. Why not get those if youre lazy?
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Clearly a trick question....A for sure to appreciate classic like a 1999 Corolla should be stored winters and only brought out for car shows anyways.
Only If beige in colour .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2578 posts
1403 upvotes
ontario
to all the naysayers, have you actually done this and tried? or are you just parroting a bridgestone ad?

at this risk of sounding old, this used to be fairly common-place. none of my fwd cars i did this to became oversteer monsters. they all plow / understeer significantly stock and still did with snows in the front and no seasons in the back (although much less-so -- you still needed to give the ebrake a tug to get it to really rotate). the fronts do most of the work of turning/stopping/and obviously accelerating in a nose heavy fwd.

obviously snows on all 4 corners is ideal but sticking them on the front of a fwd is still 'better' than all seasons on all four in my experience.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
esoxhntr wrote: to all the naysayers, have you actually done this and tried? or are you just parroting a bridgestone ad?

at this risk of sounding old, this used to be fairly common-place. none of my fwd cars i did this to became oversteer monsters. they all plow / understeer significantly stock and still did with snows in the front and no seasons in the back (although much less-so -- you still needed to give the ebrake a tug to get it to really rotate). the fronts do most of the work of turning/stopping/and obviously accelerating in a nose heavy fwd.

obviously snows on all 4 corners is ideal but sticking them on the front of a fwd is still 'better' than all seasons on all four in my experience.
I have, and I can verify how crap 2 winters and 2 all seasons are. As for why do I drive such a vehicle, I get fleet vehicles so I don't really have the choice in tires, had a customer cheat us and stole 2 of the winter tires on one of our FWD cars, a Cobalt in this specific case. Pretty quickly I found how loose the rear was, sent it to our shop immediately because it was so dangerous.

It was so bad I'd much rather have 4 all seasons than the mix matched tires.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11854 posts
2284 upvotes
Toronto
Does your friend want to buy cheap used if he's in Toronto? I have a pair I can sell for cheap. Located in Scarborough. Yes, it was for my 99 corolla used half a winter season, before I got rid of it.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15133 posts
6529 upvotes
Ottawa
esoxhntr wrote: to all the naysayers, have you actually done this and tried? or are you just parroting a bridgestone ad?

Yes, my friend tried it on his father's Integra. His father spun out 180 degrees twice in a week. I also tried it on my father's Maxima. I was driving along in a straight line and hit a small patch of snow and I was facing the other way.
JeganV wrote: It was so bad I'd much rather have 4 all seasons than the mix matched tires.
this.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Nov 26, 2012
334 posts
100 upvotes
Calgary

I agree it's better in a sense for acceleration or straight line braking, but the dangerous part of it is it masks the conditions of the road and causes overconfidence when cornering. Also, it makes your car very unpredictable.

I don't recommend trying it in real life, but you can do this in a simulator like Project Cars 2 on an ice/snow track and your car is very hard to control properly haha.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16196 posts
17630 upvotes
Oakville

Google it and you'll find tests showing why this is true.