• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2020 6:52 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
GTA

Driving from Long Branch to Downton Toronto

I'm moving to the Etobicoke \ Long Branch area next year. Please advise what would be the best/cheaper way to get to downtown Toronto by 9 am? How bad is the traffic on Gardiner Expy during rush hours, is it moving at all? When is the optimal time to leave home in the morning and get back in the evening? Is it possible to find a free parking spot on GO Long Branch or Mimico? I'm thinking either drive all the way to downtown or drive to the GO and then hop on a train.
Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3473 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Brom2020 wrote: I'm moving to the Etobicoke \ Long Branch area next year. Please advise what would be the best/cheaper way to get to downtown Toronto by 9 am? How bad is the traffic on Gardiner Expy during rush hours, is it moving at all? When is the optimal time to leave home in the morning and get back in the evening? Is it possible to find a free parking spot on GO Long Branch or Mimico? I'm thinking either drive all the way to downtown or drive to the GO and then hop on a train.
Thanks
GO parking depends on timing - the earlier you get to the station the more likely you are to get a spot. Somebody who uses one of those stations would need to chime in on what time it gets full. I’d try to make the GO train work, even if you have to pay for a spot it’ll still be cheaper than paying for a spot downtown. The cheaper spots downtown fill up pretty early too, but you’ll be able to find something it’s just that you may not like the price!

Parking at either end aside, you’re looking at driving at pretty much the peak of rush hour. It’ll be bumper to bumper every day and many days will be stop and go or worse. Same coming home.
Dec 4, 2017
302 posts
273 upvotes
Unlikely you'll find an open parking spot at Long Branch or Mimico Go station unless you have a reserved spot.

Best chance of free Go parking is at Dixie Go Station (Dixie and Dundas) 15 mins drive further. It's also a different Go line as Long Branch goes to Hamilton and runs trains later into the evening. Worse case for Long Branch you can take TTC streetcar or Shorncliffe bus to pick up your car late evening at Long Branch Go. But for Dixie Go you're literally beside a Walmart and Costco so you can get groceries on the way home.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Thanks @sunnykw2305 this is actually a good alternative. What about GO Bus/Train crowdness on these stations in the morning? Is it possible to find a seat, let's say at 8.00 - 8.30am?
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
GTA
@CanadianLurker True for one person. For two GO fare can easily go up to 300-350$ per month. Parking in downtown from what I see starts from 200-250$ per month..
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3473 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Brom2020 wrote: @CanadianLurker True for one person. For two GO fare can easily go up to 300-350$ per month. Parking in downtown from what I see starts from 200-250$ per month..
From Long Branch a Presto fare is $4.00 for the first 35 trips per month = $140
Trips 36 to 40 cost $0.55 = $2.75
Trips over 40 = Free
Total = $142.75 per month for one rider or $285.50 for two riders

From Mimico, it’d be $21.50 cheaper = $264 for two riders

If driving, don’t forget to add the less obvious costs for gas and other consumables. Looks like about a 20 km commute 1-way in traffic which won’t be in the best zone for fuel economy. For 2-way that’s 40 km for 5 days = 200 km per week for 4 weeks per month = 800 kms a month.

Just looking at gas and ignoring the other soft costs and assuming you get 8 litres/100 kms for the sake of using round numbers means you’ll need 64 litres of gas. If we use $1.15 for Regular the you’re looking at $73.60 for fuel per month on top of the parking costs you quoted. Add another $20 per months if you can only get 10 litres/100 kms.

But keeping on the rosy side, your driving cost for gas + parking will be $275 to $325 per month. Based on the math the GO train is more competitive on costs than you first thought.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14943 posts
3326 upvotes
Toronto
Brom2020 wrote: @CanadianLurker True for one person. For two GO fare can easily go up to 300-350$ per month. Parking in downtown from what I see starts from 200-250$ per month..
As you mentioned, it is not just parking you have to factor. Fuel, wear/tear and depreciation. Use this as a guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... wance.html
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Aug 13, 2006
419 posts
179 upvotes
Something to consider is the 501 Queen street car. Starts at Long Branch stop goes along downtown along Queen. Not the quickest way but probably the cheapest. You can see the route if you look it up on Google maps.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1436 posts
478 upvotes
GTA
Can you walk to go train? Likely the best option. Mimico lot fills up for free spots before 7am...
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
GTA
@ericlewis91 , yep that would be the best way, but as many of us I'm living not in a walking distance from the station. 7am is pretty damn early and parking itself surprisingly smaller than on other nearby stations. It is not even available for reservation, since there is waiting list for years ahead.
Can't imagine what will happen when Minto will finish another few blocks of townhouses there, too many cars for this place :)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12350 posts
3580 upvotes
GTA
On your next day off, head down and do a trial run, or even just take a look on Google maps and traffic cams.

Gardiner is a parking lot at the time you want to travel.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5083 upvotes
ON
-=MK=- wrote: Something to consider is the 501 Queen street car. Starts at Long Branch stop goes along downtown along Queen. Not the quickest way but probably the cheapest. You can see the route if you look it up on Google maps.
508 Lakeshore would be the better/faster option to get downtown as it uses King St and the pilot project keeps traffic away in the core but is only available during morning rush hour and afternoon so depending on time of travel it might not be an option.
Morning route goes from Long Branch to King and Parliament. Afternoon it's the opposite coming from Parliament and King going to Long Branch.