• Feb 24th, 2023 4:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 7, 2017
14 posts
9 upvotes
Canada

driving manual

Hi there, I'd like to learn how to drive a manual car. Any reputable driving school or suggestions?
70 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8322 posts
7048 upvotes
Ottawa
Your location is Canada. Narrowing it down might yield useful suggestions.

Most driving schools won't have manual cars but there are definitely some options, such as this one: https://stickgta.com/. I can't vouch for it because, although I also live in Canada, the GTA is a fair distance from where I am.

FWIW, if you know how to drive, learning to drive a basic manual transmission takes less than an hour. Finding somebody willing to let you grind the gears on their car might take longer...
I always upvote respectful/helpful posts wherever I encounter them.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1348 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Use youtube. Seriously, thats how I learned.

Ignore the overproduced, overly philosophical videos. The one that did it for me was a grainy 15 second video that showed me how to get the car rolling in first gear. Once I knew that, everything else was 2nd nature.

Most newbs have an issue with the first gear anyway.
Temp. Banned
Jun 24, 2015
7649 posts
2507 upvotes
0 downvotes
How I learned to drive stick:

Learned from YouTube - NO
Learned from Driving School - NO
Learned from RFD - NO
Learned from my Father - YES
Took me to an empty parking lot to practice - YES
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Nov 15, 2011
141 posts
111 upvotes
SW Ontario
A true life skill.

Love driving the wife's manual Mazda 3.
Mazda manual gearboxes are always a joy to shift. I have owned 4.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27761 posts
11874 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I remember this forum from back in the day
https://www.standardshift.com/forum/

The biggest thing is finding a car to learn on. Most people rightly don't like newbs eating their clutches and grinding their gears

Thorkell wrote: Once I knew that, everything else was 2nd nature.
I see what you did there Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1168 posts
1018 upvotes
School ha! Try local parking lot outside store hours ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
20079 posts
20968 upvotes
Richmond Hill
For a newb the hardest is 1st gear, after that it's gravy.
May 6, 2013
901 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
honestly I learned driving my first car home from the dealer its really not hard as long as you understand how to get moving in first. By the time I was home in 20 minutes I got the hang of it.
Temp. Banned
Jun 24, 2015
7649 posts
2507 upvotes
0 downvotes
The arcade had a racing car game that had a 5 speed shifter as well as a clutch pedal., as a kid I would play that arcade game. Driving manual came natural to me as a young teen ager
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9828 posts
11287 upvotes
The Prairies
Enjoy driving stick while you’re young.
When you get older, you may not be able to, as your knees will have other plans for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1295 posts
878 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
RSXPrem wrote: honestly I learned driving my first car home from the dealer its really not hard as long as you understand how to get moving in first. By the time I was home in 20 minutes I got the hang of it.
Same here... 25+ years later, I'm still driving a stick shift.
GoodFellaz wrote: The arcade had a racing car game that had a 5 speed shifter as well as a clutch pedal., as a kid I would play that arcade game. Driving manual came natural to me as a young teen ager
I remember playing that arcade game back in the day and if I'm not mistaken the name of it was Stunts.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
16495 posts
22681 upvotes
Vancouver
Bianco13 wrote: Same here... 25+ years later, I'm still driving a stick shift.
Got you beat. Been driving for 30+ years. Manual shift is all Mrs K or I have ever owned. When driving a rental or car share vehicle, my left foot instinctively goes down when the traffic light turns red.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
16495 posts
22681 upvotes
Vancouver
oriley wrote: A true life skill.

Love driving the wife's manual Mazda 3.
Mazda manual gearboxes are always a joy to shift. I have owned 4.
Agree! Ours got totalled and we had to replace it quickly. Settled on used Kia Rondo. It's not a very fun car to drive compared to the Mazda3 but at least it's a 6-speed manual. No idea how many manual shift Kia Rondos exist, I've never seen another. The dealer was very happy to be rid of it I think, we were able to talk him down by quite a lot.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1041 posts
310 upvotes
Best option is to have someone you know let you practice on their manual car.

I didn't... so I watched tons of youtube videos and just drove the car home from the dealership. Once you can get it going in first gear, you'll get the hang of it. And don't be discouraged if you stall!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29871 posts
15373 upvotes
I taught a few of my friends when I had a diesel truck.

The surprising thing? It's actually quite difficult to stall vs a car.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 5, 2008
558 posts
217 upvotes
johnzebo1 wrote: Hi there, I'd like to learn how to drive a manual car. Any reputable driving school or suggestions?
you don't need driving school lol you just need a good friend with a manual car and an hour in a parking lot