Driving RHD on left side of road in a foreign country

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 4:13 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes

Driving RHD on left side of road in a foreign country

I want to rent a car in Australia since it will be so much cheaper when DIY tour than going with tour operators. But there's the thought of driving on the wrong lane.

How do you guys manage to switch quickly to RHD and driving on left side of road when visiting a foreign country?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We’ve done this in the Caribbean, we had no issues.

But, for many it isn’t so much the RHD as it is the manual transmissions... lots of folks don’t learn / know how to drive stick any more.

There is an added cost (substantial) if you prefer automatic over manual
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
If you are comfortable and confident driving, the transition isn't huge. Not much different than driving in a new city or state where signs are a little different, etc. Takes a few minutes to adjust and you're good. Just remind yourself you're on the other side so you look the right ways when you're turning, etc.

I just recently took a trip to London and it wasn't the rhd that threw me off, it was the lack of knowing the streets and how to listen to the GPS and navigate through 4 lane roundabouts. Once I got out of the lhr area into the countryside, I was good to go.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: We’ve done this in the Caribbean, we had no issues.

But, for many it isn’t so much the RHD as it is the manual transmissions... lots of folks don’t learn / know how to drive stick any more.

There is an added cost (substantial) if you prefer automatic over manual
Not an issue in Australia, as the majority of them also drive cars with automatic transmissions like we do. Rental cars will almost always be automatic.

OP, you can practice driving on more one way roads to at get used to being on the left side of a city road.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1569 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
I've done this a number of times, doing multiple weeks-long self-driving tours in Namibia and New Zealand in recent years in particular.

Both my wife and I found that doing the switch when you arrive is no real problem at all. You are concentrating heavily on it, and when you are applying rational thought to it, it really isn't that hard.

It is good to minimize other distractions, so try to have someone else be navigator, don't relearn how to drive standard at the same time, and don't chitchat while driving on the first few days. Basically, you will be applying more conscious thought to driving than you typically do; plan accordingly.

Both of us however have had moments where a week or ten days in, when it's all second nature and you don't think about it so much, we found ourselves getting going in the morning and driving briefly on the wrong side of a remote road. You wouldn't make the error if there was anyone around, but without cues to help you, it's easy to forget to think about it.

You also have to watch it a bit when you come home, and your mind has gotten used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I found myself sitting behind my own steering wheel, starting the car, and having to consciously think: "I'm sitting on the left hand side. That means the median is on the left hand side. So I drive on the right. That's over there. OK, let's go." And, of course, walking to the wrong side of the car.

Finally, while the actual driving on the wrong/right side is not that challenging, it's easy to get weirded out by controls. Quick! Which side are the headlights? The turn indicator lever? Depends on the control set up of your car, but be prepared to be turning on your windshield wipers before every turn....
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Only thing i had trouble with was the signal turns. habits kick in and sometimes signal left when i wanted go right.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
mathiewannabe wrote: Only thing i had trouble with was the signal turns. habits kick in and sometimes signal left when i wanted go right.
In some cars the signal switch is reversed as well with the windshield wipers. We cleaned our windshield SO many times in South Africa and Botswana for a month. Switched cars for the last few days - still RHD and the switches were the other way around. Gah.

If there is traffic, its not really a problem, its when the roads are empty that you might revert into your normal habit. Some cars actually now have graphics that say "drive in this lane" or whatever.

And in Australia, do not speed. The posted speed limit is what everyone drives. At least on the highways and they have speed cameras everywhere.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
It is a bit disconcerting at first but you get used to it quickly. Looking to the left to check the rear view mirror was difficult to get used to. Doing shoulder check over your left shoulder is also not automatic.
One thing that really gets me when driving in the UK or Australia is the roundabouts. There are so many of them and in the cities, they are so busy. I have gone in circles numerous times before I got out of them :)
A little thing that made me think each and every time is when turning right out of a parking lot or from a street is that you need to remember not to turn immediately but go across the street.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
We've driven in the UK so my husband is pretty confident.

I see a lot of people in this thread have driven in Africa. Heading to South Africa next month. Any driving tips (we rented a 4x4 from Avis). Driving to Kruger and the Panoramic Route from Joburg.
May 31, 2006
147 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
Easy peasy switch. Don't worry about it.

The hardest part of the switch is remembering that the turn signals and the wipers are reversed too. You'll have a few embarrassing activations of the wipers when you want to indicate a turn but that's about it.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
yang wrote: Easy peasy switch. Don't worry about it.

The hardest part of the switch is remembering that the turn signals and the wipers are reversed too. You'll have a few embarrassing activations of the wipers when you want to indicate a turn but that's about it.
To signal turns in an Australian car, is the lever movement also reversed? E.g. do you push the lever down to signal right in Australia, as opposed to pushing it up in Canada?
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: To signal turns in an Australian car, is the lever movement also reversed? E.g. do you push the lever down to signal right in Australia, as opposed to pushing it up in Canada?
No, they mean that while here you usually use your left hand to indicate a turn and your right to activate the wipers, one some cars, you'll use your left hand to activate the wipers and your right to signal. It leads to a lot of activating your wipers while you're trying to turn. Its not up or down, its which side of the wheel the level is on. I think in our rental car in Australia it was the same as here.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
wirebound wrote: No, they mean that while here you usually use your left hand to indicate a turn and your right to activate the wipers, one some cars, you'll use your left hand to activate the wipers and your right to signal. It leads to a lot of activating your wipers while you're trying to turn. Its not up or down, its which side of the wheel the level is on. I think in our rental car in Australia it was the same as here.
No, I know that the turn & wiper levers are on opposite sides of the steering wheel than they are in Canada. I was asking about the actual up/down movement of the turn signal stalk, and whether that was also opposite.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
IIRC the movement of the turn signal is meant to correspond with the directional turn of the steering wheel

I believe this is the same concept the world over

————————

Aaaaaack

Difficulty explaining in words, will try to find a graphic
Sep 14, 2017
66 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Talamasca wrote: No, I know that the turn & wiper levers are on opposite sides of the steering wheel than they are in Canada. I was asking about the actual up/down movement of the turn signal stalk, and whether that was also opposite.
The turn signals & wipers aren't all on the opposite side, it depends on the make of the car. Most have them on the same side as Canada. The up/down movement to indicate right & left is the same universally.
CJ
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
You are on the middle of the road (ideally divider line or tar hump if there is one) and passenger door is always curb and hedge side. If you are driving on the curb or hedge side, you need to get back over.
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I just did a drive in Australia a few days ago on the Great Barrier Reef Drive north of Cairns. The first few minutes RHD feels kinda strange, but you get used to it quickly. Just make sure that you don't turn into the wrong lanes when making left/right turns.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote: I just did a drive in Australia a few days ago on the Great Barrier Reef Drive north of Cairns. The first few minutes RHD feels kinda strange, but you get used to it quickly. Just make sure that you don't turn into the wrong lanes when making left/right turns.
Weird that you mention that. Port Douglas is where I'm thinking of renting a car.

Were/Are you on that YVR-SYD error fare? :)
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I flew from YYZ-SYD. There was a 33% discount a few months ago, so I booked it at that time

On your way to Port Douglas, make sure to visit the beautiful beaches @ Trinity Beach & Palm Cove. They are worth your time. After Palm Cove, you reach a stretch of 20km of "high crash zone". You want to get at least a mid-sized car for that lovely but dangerous stretch of highway.

For some reason, you will see lots of Mitsubishi rental SUVs in the area. They are cheaper than the other makes, so I got one too @ Cairns.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote: I flew from YYZ-SYD. There was a 33% discount a few months ago, so I booked it at that time

On your way to Port Douglas, make sure to visit the beautiful beaches @ Trinity Beach & Palm Cove. They are worth your time. After Palm Cove, you reach a stretch of 20km of "high crash zone". You want to get at least a mid-sized car for that lovely but dangerous stretch of highway.

For some reason, you will see lots of Mitsubishi rental SUVs in the area. They are cheaper than the other makes, so I got one too @ Cairns.
So you rented your car at CNS?

Will cost us $40/pp one way transfer from CNS to PD. So that's $160 total for 2 people round trip. For a Sat pickup and Wed drop off, a compact SUV is ~$220 thru Hertz.

Trying to figure out how much driving we will be doing at PD. Decisions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)