Automotive

Driving School - needs my license photocopied?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2011 5:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1054 posts
10 upvotes

Driving School - needs my license photocopied?

My driving instructor calls me after about a year and a half and says he NEEDS a photocopy of my driver's license because his school is now being audited. Normally I would say OK but this guy's not the most trustworthy character as he spent all 10 hours of my road lessons trying to convince me to join his MLM pyramid scheme. He also extorted an extra $70 from me by telling me 5 minutes before I was scheduled to have my test that I had to pay him an extra $70 for the use of his vehicle during the test even though he insisted for about 2 weeks that it was included up till my final lesson the morning of. Needless to say I'm not particularly fond of this person.

I don't want to be defrauded but at the same time I don't want to screw him over if he truly does the thing for his records. So I'm hoping RFD can tell me if this is a reasonable request on his part, and if there are any identity theft scams out there using a photocopy of your driver's license. Is it normal for the school to request a photocopy of your license after you've finished there? Would I be safe in just taking a picture of my old/expired license and emailing him that? Thanks for your help.
15 replies
Jun 21, 2009
853 posts
282 upvotes
Ottawa
Just photoshop something up, and send him that.

On a more serious note, by the sounds of it I wouldn't trust him at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4948 posts
1118 upvotes
1) Sounds like a scam

2) Even if it isn't a scam, why would you want to help this low-life out?
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
26 upvotes
behind your left sho…

Sounds like he's verbally asking you to perform this task. Business and verbal requests (especially when "audits are involved") can be very dangerious.

If "the business" wants a photocopy of your auto license, get their business clerk to send you a letter "in the postal mail" - using their official paper with their company logo on it. And, the business letter must be signed by someone else in the company. When you get the letter, simply call the listed person and ask them to confirm the letter's contents. Then, visit your local cop shop and ask if their business request is legal. If all sounds solid, then its a do-able task. But if one of these items (re: no formal leter, coworker won't confirm and cops don't like it), then simply do NOT do it. Especially if the cops feel this business request isn't legally justified...

Remember... It's "the business" that is asking for your help. It isn't the guy. If the business wants your help (to satisfy their internal audit), then "they" must reach out to you. The business and "that guy" are seperate entities...

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34655 posts
8561 upvotes
Ottawa
tokajim wrote: My driving instructor calls me after about a year and a half and says he NEEDS a photocopy of my driver's license because his school is now being audited. Normally I would say OK but this guy's not the most trustworthy character as he spent all 10 hours of my road lessons trying to convince me to join his MLM pyramid scheme. He also extorted an extra $70 from me by telling me 5 minutes before I was scheduled to have my test that I had to pay him an extra $70 for the use of his vehicle during the test even though he insisted for about 2 weeks that it was included up till my final lesson the morning of. Needless to say I'm not particularly fond of this person.

I don't want to be defrauded but at the same time I don't want to screw him over if he truly does the thing for his records. So I'm hoping RFD can tell me if this is a reasonable request on his part, and if there are any identity theft scams out there using a photocopy of your driver's license. Is it normal for the school to request a photocopy of your license after you've finished there? Would I be safe in just taking a picture of my old/expired license and emailing him that? Thanks for your help.
If you have so much doubt, don't do it. Always follow your gut feeling.
Who cares about his situation anyway. You did your course, your got your certificate, you got your insurance discount.
Don't respond...period.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Oct 23, 2010
174 posts
45 upvotes
Brampton
Pete_Coach wrote: If you have so much doubt, don't do it. Always follow your gut feeling.
Who cares about his situation anyway. You did your course, your got your certificate, you got your insurance discount.
Don't respond...period.

^^ Agreed. Just avoid his calls or tell him to get the ministry to call you for proof.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2010
1453 posts
114 upvotes
You can do something too, call up the local police, (not 911!) tell them your situation and your driving instructor's name, ask if it's ok to do so :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6552 upvotes
Just ignore him, stop answering his calls, etc. If he doesn't go away then contact the police or something.
Jan 18, 2009
315 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
They should already have your necessary inforamtion from the first day you enrolled as a student with the driving school. I don't see why further information is required under a normal business auditing.

If the reason is 'lost data' or 'forgot to input' etc., that is not your fraud. It is their responsibility to keep the required information for a CRA audit, that can happen to any business any particular year.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
tokajim wrote: My driving instructor calls me after about a year and a half and says he NEEDS a photocopy of my driver's license because his school is now being audited. Normally I would say OK but this guy's not the most trustworthy character as he spent all 10 hours of my road lessons trying to convince me to join his MLM pyramid scheme. He also extorted an extra $70 from me by telling me 5 minutes before I was scheduled to have my test that I had to pay him an extra $70 for the use of his vehicle during the test even though he insisted for about 2 weeks that it was included up till my final lesson the morning of. Needless to say I'm not particularly fond of this person.

Tell him no. What's he going to do? Take back the lessons he gave you?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4781 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
What the heck? This isn't a friend in need, this is an unscrupulous business person who not only tried to scam you, but basically held your driving test for ransom. Why would you possibly want to go out of your way to help him? I'd be more inclined to find out who is auditing him and let them know what he did and that you suspect these day-of-the-test cash payments are not being reported.
Jul 28, 2008
807 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
Hey man, my driving school had my license photocopied on the spot (and others as well). Although he may sound sketchy, I think he's being legit with this haha..
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15449 posts
2120 upvotes
Oshawa

Tell him there will be a $70 fee for this service. And send him a copy with your license # blacked out.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Jul 5, 2004
24711 posts
4019 upvotes
I wouldn't do it. He's likely get himself into some sort of hot water with the CRA and is now finding ways to get out of it. No need to help him out. If he ran a legit business, he would have gotten all the required information before you ever stepped foot in the class. The fact that he didn't need it then means he doesn't need it now either. Tell him no or just ignore him. It's not your responsibility to help him clear his name likely after trying to cheat on his taxes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1054 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I think I'll just ignore his calls. I suppose the reason why I wanted to do it at all was just to rid myself of the hassle, since he has my home # and my address.