Home & Garden

Drop ceiling + pot lights in a condo

  • Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2020 7:45 am
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
243 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

Drop ceiling + pot lights in a condo

I have attached the picture of my living area in a condo. I am currently using a lamp to light the area. the problem is that first of all i don't like lamps, managing wires etc ... secondly, I think pot lights will make this area look better. However, the ceiling of the condo is of concrete so can't do pot lights directly into them. so i have to do drop ceiling? now here are the questions.

1. I met a contractor and he suggested that he can do office style drop ceiling
1420597239259.jpeg
. But i don't want this. I want pot lights which are normally seen in a basement, what kind of ceiling is that?
2. Is pot light a good option for condo?
Images
  • $_1.jpeg
16 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
2878 posts
16310 upvotes
Is your condo full of polished concrete? Walls, ceiling and floor?
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
243 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: Is your condo full of polished concrete? Walls, ceiling and floor?
Apologies but I don't know much about these terms.

- The condo ceiling is concrete.
- the wall on right side of the image (under the duct) is concrete
- the wall on left side of the image (where there is lamp) is dry wall
- floor is hardwood (not carpetted)

Does this help?
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
243 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
smitty9999 wrote: that's a drop ceiling
So basically both office style and basement style has the same name. Are there any terms to distinguish between them?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
2878 posts
16310 upvotes
hyph3n wrote: So basically both office style and basement style has the same name. Are there any terms to distinguish between them?
I would go with a faux dropped ceiling something that’s modern looking vs drywall based. Drilling would most likely be required and I don’t know if you need approval from your condo board before that happens. Drilling concrete is not quiet so I would assume your neighbours might not be so happy.

We enlisted the services or Quality Potlight when we had ours done but I have drywall ceilings but their work is stellar.

Instead of dropped ceiling they might be able to suggest exposed electrical and lights which can be a modern look and take which you just might like.
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
243 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: I would go with a faux dropped ceiling something that’s modern looking vs drywall based. Drilling would most likely be required and I don’t know if you need approval from your condo board before that happens. Drilling concrete is not quiet so I would assume your neighbours might not be so happy.

We enlisted the services or Quality Potlight when we had ours done but I have drywall ceilings but their work is stellar.

Instead of dropped ceiling they might be able to suggest exposed electrical and lights which can be a modern look and take which you just might like.
When you say *they*, who are you referring too? Can you share contact details?
Member
Jan 21, 2011
273 posts
110 upvotes
The ceiling in your first pic is called a dropped ceiling or t-bar ceiling. I would frame out the ceiling with 1 5/8” metal studs and use 1/2” drywall. You will lose about 2 1/4” of ceiling space and be restricted to slim style lights.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16768 posts
1671 upvotes
Thornhill
You should also consider the clearance requirement above the potlight.

Also figure out how you’re gonna get the electrical up there.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
19600 posts
4742 upvotes
Toronto
Backlight wrote: I put pot lights throughout my condo, I used sound isolation clips, then metal strapping then drywall. This gave adequate room for most all LED style pots.

http://www.acoustiguard.com/products/so ... clips.html

A drop ceiling that you would see in an office would look horrible in my opinion.
Are you willing to share some images? I am in the same situation as OP, condo, concrete ceilings. We have a floor lamp but would like better lighting, ceiling lighting potlights or track lights would be best.
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2011
569 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: Are you willing to share some images? I am in the same situation as OP, condo, concrete ceilings. We have a floor lamp but would like better lighting, ceiling lighting potlights or track lights would be best.
Sure, in this picture you can see the clips, metal strapping, pot light frames, and electrical wiring. After this drywall was installed, finished and actual pots installed.

Not a small project but was needed in order to install pots.
Images
  • 4F2A0DAA-E102-4062-BEF3-DEB3CF78E8A9.jpeg
Sr. Member
Jul 28, 2005
617 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga
Backlight wrote: Sure, in this picture you can see the clips, metal strapping, pot light frames, and electrical wiring. After this drywall was installed, finished and actual pots installed.

Not a small project but was needed in order to install pots.
How much ceiling height did you lose?
[removed]
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2011
569 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
2” including the drywall. I was concerned about this, but turned out fine in my opinion, not noticeable as I did this throughout the condo and was also able to add height in some areas but removing unnecessary bulkheads.

The alternative was no pots and to scrap the popcorn and finish the slab smooth, this would not have given the same finish as drywall. There is also a marginal improvement in sound transmission using the clips linked and drywall.

Top