Computers & Electronics

Drop + Sennheiser HD8XX $1100 USD. Are you buying?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 11:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes

Drop + Sennheiser HD8XX $1100 USD. Are you buying?

Anyone else get the email and think these are gonna be a HD-800 headphones?
How much do you think they will cost?
Anyone snagging a pair for sure ?

https://drop.com/buy/our-most-requested ... g-2-18-21/

Edit: looks like they are the HD8XX, anyone going to bite at $1100?

Last edited by kimwoobingsu on Feb 18th, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
19 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes
$800-$900 USD would work out to something like $1200- $1400 CAD after taxes. I think that much is fair, anything less than that is a steal.

Also if they are HD-800s, chances they were made in Romania instead of Ireland and might show symptoms of the driver matching issues that I heard about a couple years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7981 posts
2673 upvotes
Maple
What kind of head phones are these? Gold plated? J/K
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5055 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Tempting but I have 650 already. I’ve been spending so much money these days LOL.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes
Ouch $1100 USD and having to go through the typical "Drop" struggle of getting them only god knows when. Estimated ship date is November 25 2021 LOL.
Looks like they are actually made in Germany, and based on the HD800s so this might be pretty good.

I would be in for one, but there are far better/ more profitable ways to tie up your money for the better part of year.
Last edited by kimwoobingsu on Feb 18th, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes
markopas wrote: Zeos does a lot of good reviews, he actively participates on Reddit.. might wanna take a look at his Youtube page regarding this type of HDxxx.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3XdYJ ... uZMNaTiP8Q
LOL I spent wayyyy too much money listening to Zeos' recommendations. He does have a tendency to hype products up a lot, so I think you have to take what he says with a grain of salt and listen to the other big headphone reviewers like Joshua Valor and Metal.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3541 posts
20066 upvotes
Of course, dont take one person's word for it. Do the smart thing and do your due diligence and get all the information before pulling the trigger.
Dec 11, 2013
131 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
yes in usd, the .com pricing and sales usually pans out cheaper than the cad site (at least from my experience)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes
DrunknFoo wrote: yes in usd, the .com pricing and sales usually pans out cheaper than the cad site (at least from my experience)
Have you purchased anything from them before? If so, did you get charged taxes/ brokerage on delivery or did you pay it all upfront?
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1218 posts
731 upvotes
AB
I think I remember paying duties on my 6xx

These look awesome but I dunno long time to tie the money up and do I really need more headphones
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5055 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
So it’ll be about $1400 CAD. Plus import and duties. Not too bad of a price. I think the lowest I seen the HD800S go for was $1800 CAD.

They also made these with more bass and less treble but I want to see a review first. I have a Shiit Lyr 3 to power it.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1809 posts
684 upvotes
GTA
I kind of glad these aren't cheaper...
Otherwise, I'd be regretting my HD6XX purchase earlier this month :p
Dec 11, 2013
131 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Ya you pay brokerage and taxes, i believe they still use ups...

Regardless after all said and done if the cans you want ever go on sale, their prices really cant be beat...

Their return and exchange policy is also great and customer service is exceptional
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6071 upvotes
Ottawa
DrunknFoo wrote: Ya you pay brokerage and taxes, i believe they still use ups...
Last two times, they used DHL and it came through Canada Post and I paid the taxes + $10 processing fee when I picked them up.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6071 upvotes
Ottawa
b33f wrote: I kind of glad these aren't cheaper...
Yeah, it's not a deal I can't refuse. They are still very pricey, and I'm not convinced I'll get much use out of them. I hardly use my wired headphones as much as I used to.

I also don't like the waiting period. Last time I ordered something from Drop, it kept getting delayed and I completely forgotten that I even ordered it.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Aug 6, 2019
100 posts
46 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: LOL I spent wayyyy too much money listening to Zeos' recommendations. He does have a tendency to hype products up a lot, so I think you have to take what he says with a grain of salt and listen to the other big headphone reviewers like Joshua Valor and Metal.
zeos is entertaining but an ass. i cant think of a product he didnt rave about. i hate to say it but same with steve guttenberg. valor metal and dms are my go to guys.

thing is the hd8xx was never expected. buying this may not be risky. if it sells out there will be big demand

wont be buying. i dont think my hearing is acute enough and i dont have the quality hardware to play this on though im thinking about pulling the trigger on the monoprice thx amp/dac.