Expired Hot Deals

[Drop] [Warm] SMSL SA-98E 2 x 160w Stereo Amplifier (55 USD for new users)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2019 3:15 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 9, 2017
99 posts
80 upvotes

[Warm] SMSL SA-98E 2 x 160w Stereo Amplifier (55 USD for new users)

Deal Link:
Price:
65 USD
Savings:
45 USD off
Expiry:
November 20, 2019
Retailer:
Drop
SMSL SA-98E, using the 2 x 160 watt @ 4 ohms TDA7498E class-D audio amplifier chip is on sale for 65 USD, 55 USD with a referral link if it's your first purchase so be sure to hit up a friend for their link if it's your first purchase (or use your google-fu to get someone's referral link).

Shipping to Brampton seems to be 20 USD so expect similar, and you may need to pay taxes on reception (this seems to be entirely based on luck, I haven't got hit with duties or anything like that yet from drop but I've seen others ordering from the same drops only a city over getting hit with them so don't be surprised if you don't get lucky). Expected ship date is December 30. I already have a shitty nobsound amp that I hate but this will hold me over for now, just remember to take into account that you may not get your amp till early next year before committing, but drop does ship earlier than usual most times.

This would have been an amazing deal IMO if it weren't for that expensive shipping. This is basically 85.95 CAD + 26.45 CAD (112.40 CAD), plus 13.22 CAD off if its your first Drop purchase. This amp is 169.99 CAD on Amazon so it's almost 60 bucks cheaper to buy it from drop.

The next best thing is the SMSL SA-36A pro (20 x 2 watts) which is 70 CAD + tax on amazon or banggood. I did have one on order cause I caught it on sale for 50 bucks, but I don't think the SA-36A Pro is anywhere near as good as this SA-98E. Not only can it handle much higher wattage, but it will have way lower THD at the same load levels. Just my opinion, I don't think there's anything nearly as good with SMSL level build quality or better in this price range.
Last edited by lemon07r on Nov 18th, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2005
777 posts
97 upvotes
Interesting. I already bought 6 SMSL SA36 at full price... I was waiting and waiting for SA50 to come available, but it didn't. And SA98 was too expensive.
Member
Oct 14, 2012
377 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they had one with a subwoofer output. I like my bookshelves with a sub.
Newbie
May 21, 2019
7 posts
31 upvotes
You can use a powered sub with most amps you just need to splice the wires. My SMSL ad18 shows you how in the instructions.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 15, 2008
9192 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
haywarddaryl wrote: You can use a powered sub with most amps you just need to splice the wires. My SMSL ad18 shows you how in the instructions.
Unfortunately not all cheaper subs have high level input... Some only have LFE input. I wish they made more desktop amps with sub out.
Member
User avatar
Dec 1, 2014
209 posts
353 upvotes
Anjou, QC
lemon07r wrote: SMSL SA-98E, using the 2 x 160 watt @ 4 ohms TDA7498E class-D audio amplifier chip is on sale for 65 USD, 55 USD with a referral link if it's your first purchase so be sure to hit up a friend for their link if it's your first purchase (or use your google-fu to get someone's referral link).
Where are you getting 2x160 @ 4ohms? Is this unit capable of this or is that just the amplifier chip itself?

Product page shows 65W @ 8ohms and 10% thd. Not bad for the size and price but nowhere near as good as what you're mentioning.

Edit: Manufacturer states 2x160 @ 4 ohms, 12% thd.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 9, 2017
99 posts
80 upvotes
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: Where are you getting 2x160 @ 4ohms? Is this unit capable of this or is that just the amplifier chip itself?


Product page shows 65W @ 8ohms and 10% thd. Not bad for the size and price but nowhere near as good as what you're mentioning.

Edit: Manufacturer states 2x160 @ 4 ohms, 12% thd.
Yeah it's 2x160w @ 4 ohms, and honestly with these levels of THD none of these class D amps are very good at their highest levels, and have much lower thd at smaller loads, so it's usually better to buy higher power than you need, which is why I'm strongly consider this amp. I'm still looking around to see if there's better around the same price because this isn't cheap. If I find better in the next few days I'll leave a reply in this thread and cancel my sa-98e order.

Top