x Koss ESP 95x electrostatic earspeaker system $400 USD

Deal Link:
Price:
$400 USD
Savings:
$100 USD
Retailer:
Drop
I seem like a Drop fanboy with all these Drop posts.

But this is a pretty solid deal for these at $100 off their normal $500 price, even after currency conversion and taxes this will be slightly cheaper than buying the ESP 950 when on sale locally.

Reviews

10 replies
Feb 3, 2013
224 posts
176 upvotes
Victoria
Do these need a bit of power to sound good? I have a pair of AKG K340 from the early 80's that are electrostatic dynamic cans that really need the juice to sound their best.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2965 posts
663 upvotes
BC
PaliGap wrote: Do these need a bit of power to sound good? I have a pair of AKG K340 from the early 80's that are electrostatic dynamic cans that really need the juice to sound their best.
These come with its own amp I think.
Feb 26, 2017
540 posts
382 upvotes
I would love to try these. Koss kinda killed the headphone game for me. Their 40 dollar cheapo over the ear cans walked all over my VModas, all over my DT770s and my 200 dollar Sens. After spending a grand over a few years I found it very tough to hear a huge difference.
Feb 3, 2013
224 posts
176 upvotes
Victoria
Ren wrote: These come with its own amp I think.
Easy to drive then?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1601 posts
3237 upvotes
PaliGap wrote: Do these need a bit of power to sound good? I have a pair of AKG K340 from the early 80's that are electrostatic dynamic cans that really need the juice to sound their best.
I have a pair of these and they do come with their own amplification in the form of an energizer, which is more than sufficient to drive these. I have never gone past 50% on the amp.

The only problem is that you are pretty much stuck with this amp unless you buy an adapter to change the plug to one of the circular 5 pin connectors that Stax and other estats use.

Like many reviewers have said, build quality is pretty meh for something that costs this much, and you may have issues with humming, but Koss warranties these for life.

They sound great, are super comfortable and are a cheap option for someone who wants in to the electrostat game without breaking the bank.
May 6, 2005
309 posts
114 upvotes
Amazed that you also have these... My dad has been using these (non amped... Just plugged into his 90s es receiver) since the 80's. One has since died...

Looking for a replacement for him. He loves the sound signature.

OP. Thanks for sharing.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2965 posts
663 upvotes
BC
Neil4Speed wrote: Amazed that you also have these... My dad has been using these (non amped... Just plugged into his 90s es receiver) since the 80's. One has since died...

OP. Thanks for sharing.
These cannot be used “unamped” they require a energizer. Perhaps your dad is using a different pair?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2704 posts
504 upvotes
Markham
Neil4Speed wrote: Amazed that you also have these... My dad has been using these (non amped... Just plugged into his 90s es receiver) since the 80's. One has since died...

OP. Thanks for sharing.
If your dad plug into a receiver maybe it is the other model, Koss A250:

https://www.cnet.com/products/koss-a250-headphones/

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/kossa250.htm
May 6, 2005
309 posts
114 upvotes
Ren wrote: These cannot be used “unamped” they require a energizer. Perhaps your dad is using a different pair?
Whoops guys... thought I quoted Paligap with his AKG 340.

My apologies.
Feb 1, 2012
437 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal

OP. Thanks for sharing.
Oh man. Your dad will be super stoked getting these as gifts.

Keep us posted to his reaction Person With Folded Hands