dropbox.com Black Friday

Dropbox plus plan 50% off (CA$77.94 / year, $6.50/ month), YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2021 5:24 pm
[OP]
Aug 20, 2021
16 posts
72 upvotes

[dropbox.com] [Black Friday] Dropbox plus plan 50% off (CA$77.94 / year, $6.50/ month), YMMV

Deal Link:
Price:
77.94 /yr
Savings:
50% off
Expiry:
December 5, 2021
Retailer:
dropbox.com
More offers from dropbox.com
YMMV. Got this promotion on my account for dropbox plus plan (2TB storage).

Get 50% off 1 year of Dropbox Plus when billed yearly*. This offer expires on December 5, 2021.

CA$77.94 / year
(CA$6.50 / month)
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 8.49.39 PM.png
Last edited by jelloLL on Nov 28th, 2021 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3779 posts
913 upvotes
Why people even use Dropbox anymore?
Sep 20, 2011
235 posts
989 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
EEE2 wrote: Why people even use Dropbox anymore?
What do you use for personal files? Maybe we are missing something.

I use Dropbox, Drive, Box (all free tier), and still need more space.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4471 posts
2173 upvotes
self hosting on NAS ftw
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1195 posts
915 upvotes
qwerty17327 wrote: What do you use for personal files? Maybe we are missing something.

I use Dropbox, Drive, Box (all free tier), and still need more space.
Find/pay someone to boost your accounts to the max. I think there's still 1 guy on ebay that does it for around 8 usd. It's cheaper in China from guys on tao (6 CAD). I find DB the fastest to get files across all my machines. 18GB on all accounts and just share a folder to another email if you need more than 3 devices.

I self host using seafile, but it's not as fast to propagate. Syncthing for bulk stuff since no limit and all local.
Dec 8, 2018
40 posts
206 upvotes
Montreal
Let people judge if they need this sale or not?

To answer, because it just works, and is well integrated with my Windows / Android. If you have time to setup your own NAS and maintain it, well good for you :)
Jul 18, 2019
926 posts
2266 upvotes
North York ON
Lots of people work with or produce media. Dropbox is one option.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3779 posts
913 upvotes
There's onedrive usually 5tb and Google drive. They offer much better value. Just my two cents.
Sep 20, 2011
235 posts
989 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
strife wrote: Find/pay someone to boost your accounts to the max. I think there's still 1 guy on ebay that does it for around 8 usd. It's cheaper in China from guys on tao (6 CAD). I find DB the fastest to get files across all my machines. 18GB on all accounts and just share a folder to another email if you need more than 3 devices.

I self host using seafile, but it's not as fast to propagate. Syncthing for bulk stuff since no limit and all local.
I didn't know about this underground boost, I will look into it. Thanks. I already have around 50 GB by doing their trivia/quest things they did many years ago.
I have thought about self-hosting with Nextcloud but my rpi4 is already running many servers/daemons. I also tried AWS Glacier storage for photo archival, around $3/month for couple of TBs.
Apr 1, 2013
924 posts
1583 upvotes
Fredericton
ilove wrote: self hosting on NAS ftw
Not trivial for average user.
Not easy to access externally unless you're good at VPN setup and dynamic DNS.
Not redundant by default.
Data loss if your house burns down.

This is coming from someone who runs a redundant NAS with VPN.
Sep 20, 2011
235 posts
989 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
ilove wrote: self hosting on NAS ftw
I hear you but what is the plan for disaster recovery? Any off-site backups.
Sep 20, 2011
235 posts
989 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
life359 wrote: Data loss if your house burns down.
qwerty17327 wrote: I hear you but what is the plan for disaster recovery? Any off-site backups.
I was trying to ask them the same thing in a nicer way lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1669 posts
816 upvotes
Midland
strife wrote: Find/pay someone to boost your accounts to the max. I think there's still 1 guy on ebay that does it for around 8 usd. It's cheaper in China from guys on tao (6 CAD). I find DB the fastest to get files across all my machines. 18GB on all accounts and just share a folder to another email if you need more than 3 devices.

Pretty sure you can boost itself your without any cost unless that trick has bee fixed? Google ftw
Jul 5, 2011
42 posts
13 upvotes
Nanaimo
jelloLL wrote: Got this promotion on my account for dropbox plus plan (2TB storage), not sure if it is YMMV.

Get 50% off 1 year of Dropbox Plus when billed yearly*. This offer expires on December 5, 2021.

CA$77.94 / year
(CA$6.50 / month)
Smells like an account specific discount. I am unable to get this discount on my account despite being a loyal customer for 5+ years. Sadly, loyalty means little in this day and age.
IT Consultant, Social Media Strategist, User Centred Designer, Photographer, Dark Roast Coffee Connoisseur, #exploreBC one adventure at a time
Jul 30, 2016
174 posts
265 upvotes
Hughen wrote: Let people judge if they need this sale or not?

To answer, because it just works, and is well integrated with my Windows / Android. If you have time to setup your own NAS and maintain it, well good for you :)
This. Also from my personal experience dropbox is faster than other cloud storages.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1059 posts
1412 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
qwerty17327 wrote: I was trying to ask them the same thing in a nicer way lol.
The house burning down risk is real, similar to dropbox.com disappearing like megaupload did. There are no guarantees to anything. Maybe Dropbox will continue to exist, but your account gets seized or hacked or there's huge data loss somehow... Just spreading things around is the answer. 3-2-1 plan. 3 places on 2 medium at least one off site. All medium shouldn't be networks IMO. Discs and HDDs aren't expensive if you're creating the data to fill them.
Dec 15, 2014
404 posts
612 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ruciz wrote: The house burning down risk is real, similar to dropbox.com disappearing like megaupload did. There are no guarantees to anything. Maybe Dropbox will continue to exist, but your account gets seized or hacked or there's huge data loss somehow... Just spreading things around is the answer. 3-2-1 plan. 3 places on 2 medium at least one off site. All medium shouldn't be networks IMO. Discs and HDDs aren't expensive if you're creating the data to fill them.
Well what is the chances of your housing burning down and dropbox disappearing at the same time? If dropbox dies suddenly I still have my sync'd folder on my computer. For the less tech saavy, it's very convienent. I sync my work folders to my home computer.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1059 posts
1412 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
LuckBox wrote:
Well what is the chances of your housing burning down and dropbox disappearing at the same time? If dropbox dies suddenly I still have my sync'd folder on my computer. For the less tech saavy, it's very convienent. I sync my work folders to my home computer.
Low, but many people here only have one option, not both... You have a Nas + service like Dropbox?
Aug 19, 2013
969 posts
989 upvotes
TORONTO
bij0520 wrote: This. Also from my personal experience dropbox is faster than other cloud storages.
Also supports delta sync. Change a tiny part of a 10gb file and it will only transfer the changes. The others will re-upload the entire file (or used to when i checked a couple years ago). Google drive is also insanely annoying when it comes to syncing shared folders. OneDrive will decide to chew CPU randomly, same issue with shared folder syncing - way more complicated than it should be