Tags:
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
225 posts
148 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Dropcam at amazon.ca for 129.99

Regular Dropcam is on special at amazon.ca @ 129.99$

http://www.amazon.ca/Dropcam-Wi-Fi-Wire ... ds=dropcam

Decent price, lowest on lightning drops.
20 replies
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa
Love the idea of these I just cannot stomach the monthly charge to use it. $10 a month or $100 a year (USD) for 7 days. I would want longer then that, going away for a week is usually an actual 9-10 day trip. Would be great to come back and find your house broke into and no video. 30 days is $30 or $300... Thats a lot of coin...

Was looking briefly at https://www.homeboy.com/ today... From what I can tell you can setup your own server (maybe not for the tech faint of heart) which I like. They are looking at offering cloud storage in the near future from what I can tell..

Any other options in the market I should be looking at?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2663 posts
1033 upvotes
QC, Canada
Bedpan wrote: Love the idea of these I just cannot stomach the monthly charge to use it. $10 a month or $100 a year (USD) for 7 days. I would want longer then that, going away for a week is usually an actual 9-10 day trip. Would be great to come back and find your house broke into and no video. 30 days is $30 or $300... Thats a lot of coin...

Was looking briefly at https://www.homeboy.com/ today... From what I can tell you can setup your own server (maybe not for the tech faint of heart) which I like. They are looking at offering cloud storage in the near future from what I can tell..

buy a hikvision ds7604 NVR server from ebay or anywhere else, and fews hikvision ds2cd2112 or ds2cd2132 at the same place.. You will thank me later ;)
Jul 12, 2005
548 posts
313 upvotes
Does anyone know of similar outdoor cameras that would withstand Canadian winters within same price range? Preferably with 2 way voice...thx
Oct 15, 2013
334 posts
328 upvotes
Bedpan wrote:
I recently made my own home surveillance system using Blue Iris software. At 10$, it's a steal (normally 40-50$). My main PC is also our home server, so it's always on anyway. You use this software, pair it with whichever IP cameras you want to use (except dropcam and their closed mind business). I am using a Samsung Smartcam (1080p and outstanding wide angle view, ~130 degrees for our loft area (around 30 x 20 kitchen + living room), and cheapers 640x480 cameras in front of each entrance. With the right setup, our security system automatically turns on/off whether we're home or not (smartphones + geofencing). The software is set to email photo and video alerts and save them to my google drive when triggered, so I would still have images if the whole camera + PC setup would be robbed. Even the webcams on our PCs are put to contribution in this software.

What we like most about this system is the controlled privacy, compared with sending everything to the cloud and hoping it's private.

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-BLUEIRIS-Su ... =blue+iris
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product
http://foscamcanada.com/web/index.php?p ... Itemid=109

This is pretty much our recipe, with white ethernet cables from primecable even if we could use wifi only. I am very satisfied, and in control of our cameras. Of course you can chose to record everything 24/24 or whenever you like, you could hide a network drive in your attic or garage for instance.
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks folks.. Like the ideas presented (sorry for the thread hijack). Blue Iris Software looks great as I have a couple server running 24/7 anyways and some NAS boxes as well. More research to add to the list along with the home automation I want to get running.

Mike
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2006
1088 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
Everyone considering this product should understand the economic and privacy issues associated with a video camera that is streaming directly to the cloud 24/7/365.

Make sure you have an Internet service with a huge monthly data allowance. Dropcam will consume 60GB per month, which is a significant fraction of the cap on the most popular packages.

Also, make sure you are comfortable with pictures from inside your home being sent to Google.

On the other hand if you care about money or privacy you can get a perfectly good HD IP camera for a fraction of the price, and set it up to stream only within your home network.
McDealer: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy s*** , it's McDealer!
Feb 14, 2004
263 posts
106 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
McDealer wrote: Everyone considering this product should understand the economic and privacy issues associated with a video camera that is streaming directly to the cloud 24/7/365.

Make sure you have an Internet service with a huge monthly data allowance. Dropcam will consume 60GB per month, which is a significant fraction of the cap on the most popular packages.

Also, make sure you are comfortable with pictures from inside your home being sent to Google.

On the other hand if you care about money or privacy you can get a perfectly good HD IP camera for a fraction of the price, and set it up to stream only within your home network.
The advantage with the cloud is if your house got robbed, then you will still have a video of the robbery.
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa
It use to be in many home break-ins the crooks would cut the phone and cable lines to disable the home security systems. Not sure if this is still the case now that many home security systems have cell backups. If they do however you no longer have anything with cloud recording. Recording local it would be pretty easy to record to a NAS box of some sort that is not easily found or accessible by placing them in an attic, crawlspace or other hidden area.. The thief's are usually in an out pretty quickly taking high value smaller items that can be carried. They maybe able to grab my 50lbs server tower but not sure they are getting much more ;-)

Mike

fredou wrote: The advantage with the cloud is if your house got robbed, then you will still have a video of the robbery.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19280 posts
1773 upvotes
Bedpan wrote: It use to be in many home break-ins the crooks would cut the phone and cable lines to disable the home security systems. Not sure if this is still the case now
Mike
Unless you are some kind of deep cover operative or have the maltese falcon in your basement, this is highly unlikely. Much more likely is the crook will see the alarm sticker, and just move onto your neighbor instead. Casual crooks do not have time to F around cutting alarm wires, they will just move onto the next easy target. Unless they are tweaked out addicts, in which case they still will not cut the wire they will just barge in alarm and all. And a pro crook, well, he isn't robbing YOUR house, he is robbing a museum.

In short: You get pretty much just as much security from placing a couple of alarm stickers around your house, as having the alarm itself.

I want an outside camera not because of crooks, but to have evidence in the case of teenage vandals.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa
I think we are in the same boat... I just don't like the dropcam as you have to pay $10 a month for 7 days worth of recording per camera. I think they have an awesome product with great setup. I just find that I have so many reoccurring monthly fee's already that I don't want to add any more.
brunes wrote: I want an outside camera not because of crooks, but to have evidence in the case of teenage vandals.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1119 posts
971 upvotes
Episode666 wrote: "cheapers 640x480 cameras in front of each entrance."
How do you power these and protect them from the elements? I want to do the same but outdoor cameras are very pricey and I'm convinced they'd be the first thing stolen!
Oct 15, 2013
334 posts
328 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: How do you power these and protect them from the elements? I want to do the same but outdoor cameras are very pricey and I'm convinced they'd be the first thing stolen!
All my cameras are inside, we live in an appartment so we don't really care about what's going on outside. I will still point one of these below toward our cars.

Maybe this would do the trick for outside for cheap. http://www.dx.com/p/escam-snail-qd500-c ... ICzTjGG-HA

If you're not in a hurry, DX has several IP cameras. I will try the escam soon.

Sorry for thread hijacking, maybe we should start a new one.
Jul 31, 2004
280 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
ekguru wrote: Does anyone know of similar outdoor cameras that would withstand Canadian winters within same price range? Preferably with 2 way voice...thx
I have a foscam 8910 indoor camera mounted outside and so far it's been fine. Some nights it's hit -15 windchill, and it still emails me on motion detection so hopefully it will last through winter.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1642 posts
798 upvotes
Center of the univer…
bringit wrote: I have a foscam 8910 indoor camera mounted outside and so far it's been fine. Some nights it's hit -15 windchill, and it still emails me on motion detection so hopefully it will last through winter.
yea ive done the same with the 9821w .. ofcourse covered from rain but so far its surviving the cold weather.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9760 posts
1259 upvotes
GTA
Yikes, I saw an billboard ad for this, I didn't realize they charge a monthly fee on TOP of the hefty price tag.
Aug 12, 2007
17 posts
4 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Episode666 wrote: I recently made my own home surveillance system using Blue Iris software. At 10$, it's a steal (normally 40-50$). My main PC is also our home server, so it's always on anyway. You use this software, pair it with whichever IP cameras you want to use (except dropcam and their closed mind business). I am using a Samsung Smartcam (1080p and outstanding wide angle view, ~130 degrees for our loft area (around 30 x 20 kitchen + living room), and cheapers 640x480 cameras in front of each entrance. With the right setup, our security system automatically turns on/off whether we're home or not (smartphones + geofencing). The software is set to email photo and video alerts and save them to my google drive when triggered, so I would still have images if the whole camera + PC setup would be robbed. Even the webcams on our PCs are put to contribution in this software.

What we like most about this system is the controlled privacy, compared with sending everything to the cloud and hoping it's private.

This is pretty much our recipe, with white ethernet cables from primecable even if we could use wifi only. I am very satisfied, and in control of our cameras. Of course you can chose to record everything 24/24 or whenever you like, you could hide a network drive in your attic or garage for instance.
Can you elaborate on how you've setup geofencing? That sounds really interesting.
Mar 5, 2011
24 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
Paying for the cloud recording feature is optional. It is not a requirement - FYI. If you are simply looking for a camera to check up on your house and see what's going on, you don't have to subscribe to the weekly or monthly service.
Oct 15, 2013
334 posts
328 upvotes
DrewS1 wrote: Can you elaborate on how you've setup geofencing? That sounds really interesting.
It's in the "Mobile Device" tab in Blue Iris options. You have to set it up in your phone program too.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3987 posts
540 upvotes
Pickering, ON
BradAitken wrote: Paying for the cloud recording feature is optional. It is not a requirement - FYI. If you are simply looking for a camera to check up on your house and see what's going on, you don't have to subscribe to the weekly or monthly service.
I think for many people, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a camera at all. People are busy, and don't necessarily have time to check in frequently. And what happens when you check in and notice something is wrong, then what evidence do you have?