• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2016 11:04 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket

dropped out first year and impossible to transfer with my gpa..what should I do

as
Last edited by Ilikewater on Jul 10th, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London
If civil engineering is what you want to do then focus on that. Get your prereq's and aim for really high grades in them. If you want to be a civil engineering technician or technologist go to college, if you want to be an actual engineer then go to university. Places like UofT likely won't take you, they're hard enough to get into as is, Ryerson will do you just fine I'm sure.

If your end goal is to have a Bachelors of engineering in civil engineering then forget college, like I said above, pour yourself into bettering your chances at getting into the program you want, why waste 3 years and tens of thousands of dollars to get a technician/technologist diploma that still requires you to do another 2-3 years at university which is equally if not more expensive.

As someone who spent a year taking a program I hated and then switched to something else just to stay in school for the sake of it before finally getting accepted into the program I want; I can say it's worth your time and money to drop out, and do your damndest to get into the program you want. I worked my ass off to get some pre-req's I needed and now I love my job and have no complaints, just an extra 10-20k in student loans that I'm now trying to pay off -_-
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket
My goal is to have a Bachelors of engineering in civil then get a Professional engineer status, work for a good mount of time to gain experience and possibly someday start a business in this field.

I think Ryerson will give me the education but the problem is Ryerson also said that my current academic standing is a big concern and much more difficult to compete with students with clear standing...

I'm wondering if it's possible to not send the transcript..since I don't even need any of the credits I earned or is it too risky?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16570 posts
2293 upvotes
Ilikewater wrote: What should I do?? any advice would be nice. :)
Apply for a new program, but you may need to take 1 year non-major to rebuild your transcript.
Ilikewater wrote: I'm wondering if it's possible to not send the transcript..since I don't even need any of the credits I earned or is it too risky?
Likely the application will ask for your academic history - so it's up to you whether or not you want to take the risk and hide your previous transcript.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4837 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
Have you looked into any academic petitions or talked to anyone in your current University to maybe continue in your current University? If you can swing something like that, you might be able to update a lot of your pre-reqs this year while in University(while upping your grades) and then apply for a transfer the year after that.
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London
Ilikewater wrote: My goal is to have a Bachelors of engineering in civil then get a Professional engineer status, work for a good mount of time to gain experience and possibly someday start a business in this field.

I think Ryerson will give me the education but the problem is Ryerson also said that my current academic standing is a big concern and much more difficult to compete with students with clear standing...

I'm wondering if it's possible to not send the transcript..since I don't even need any of the credits I earned or is it too risky?
If you apply without sending the transcript and they find out you can land in big trouble if you're caught. There's another thread around the student board somewhere where someone asked about the same thing.

Just take a year off, get yourself situated, up your average as much as you can with pre-req's etc and then apply again, don't bother trying to transfer, a poor gpa won't net you many transfer credits anyway.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket
Jep4444 wrote: Have you looked into any academic petitions or talked to anyone in your current University to maybe continue in your current University? If you can swing something like that, you might be able to update a lot of your pre-reqs this year while in University(while upping your grades) and then apply for a transfer the year after that.
I think my university has allows me to do something like that to clear my grade..though I'm not sure if my previous grades will be completely gone on the transcript..or just my academic standing cleared. I think the deadline to sign up has passed but I sent an email to see if I can still enroll.

But then idk how much workload it will be.. to be in university while upgrading bunch of prereqs online? and making sure to get high marks on all of the courses...in uni and grade12 math science courses.. doesn't sound like a good idea :/
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4837 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
Ilikewater wrote: I think my university has allows me to do something like that to clear my grade..though I'm not sure if my previous grades will be completely gone on the transcript..or just my academic standing cleared. I think the deadline to sign up has passed but I sent an email to see if I can still enroll.

But then idk how much workload it will be.. to be in university while upgrading bunch of prereqs online? and making sure to get high marks on all of the courses...in uni and grade12 math science courses.. doesn't sound like a good idea :/
A lot of the time, you can find equivalent courses to the pre-reqs at the University level. If you happened to be in York(I'm just using York as an example cause I go there) and needed high school physics and calculus, they offer PHYS 1510 and MATH 1510 as substitutes so students don't have to go back to high school to get those pre-reqs. The nice thing here is that those would count as credits on your GPA so if you do well, they can help fix your GPA.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket
CalmThatCat wrote: If you apply without sending the transcript and they find out you can land in big trouble if you're caught. There's another thread around the student board somewhere where someone asked about the same thing.

Just take a year off, get yourself situated, up your average as much as you can with pre-req's etc and then apply again, don't bother trying to transfer, a poor gpa won't net you many transfer credits anyway.
What do you mean? like how do I apply to uni again without transfer?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4081 posts
463 upvotes
Georgetown
Engineering is one of the hardest programs to get into in University... so just know going into this, that you are aiming high and will need to "EARN" your second chance. Just off the top of my head I would suggest the following:

- Get the absolute best grades you can in the pre-requisites... if you are going to take or retake some high school courses, they had better reflect your commitment and drive
- Engineering programs often ask for letters of recommendation and other such things as part of the application process. If you can write a letter explaining your renewed focus and possibly even addressing your initial false start in post-secondary school... it could work in your favor. If you impress a teacher when you are taking your new courses, they may be willing to write a recommendation that speaks glowingly of you, etc. (just remember, every applicant will have this... so... you will want to do your best to shine here to boost your application)
- You may need to accept a non-elite school/program (unless you absolutely nail 98%+ on all the pre-req courses, and have an amazing recommendation or essay of your own to blow them away).... however, when it's your second swing at things, sometimes what you lose for having to redo things is the chance at the top tier... but you still can get a great education (whatever you make of it really) and take control of your life
- if there is a way to clean up your current academic record... explore it.... it may not be the direction you choose, but you do have to weigh your options to pick a path forward
Dec 27, 2007
510 posts
70 upvotes
Look for universities that have engineering trasfer agreements with a college. You can do a 3 year college diploma and maybe transfer to a university, do another 2-3 years and come out with a degree.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11658 posts
6224 upvotes
Brampton
Go take summer school at Ryerson or UofT. Take classes that will be pre-req for engineering.
Summer classes don't look at your past. However Summer classes count towards rebuilding your GPA. You better ace the classes.

Then reapply. Universities are looking for people that can learn and work hard. You need to prove to them that your first 8 months was a mistake and you're ready for a serious go at round two.
Sep 29, 2008
929 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga
It's not a big deal. All you need to do is take first year classes at Thompson Rivers, Chang School, Athabasca or other open learning places. Do well in those courses and re-apply. Almost all your courses should transfer over. I know universities like UBC, SFU and even UFT tend to ignore your past standing and focus readmission on your past year of studies.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket
Jep4444 wrote: A lot of the time, you can find equivalent courses to the pre-reqs at the University level. If you happened to be in York(I'm just using York as an example cause I go there) and needed high school physics and calculus, they offer PHYS 1510 and MATH 1510 as substitutes so students don't have to go back to high school to get those pre-reqs. The nice thing here is that those would count as credits on your GPA so if you do well, they can help fix your GPA.
During the term given by my university to upgrade my marks..I'm only allowed to take the courses they give me.. I can't take more :/
I might be able to take equivalent courses the second term but My school only has Chemistry and Calculus equivalent and its exam only so I will have to learn all the material by myself then go for one exam..
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4837 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
Ilikewater wrote: During the term given by my university to upgrade my marks..I'm only allowed to take the courses they give me.. I can't take more :/
I might be able to take equivalent courses the second term but My school only has Chemistry and Calculus equivalent and its exam only so I will have to learn all the material by myself then go for one exam..
That blows, either way, find out if your old credits are remove from your GPA with a petition or not. Then as other said, take the equivalences through some online Universities or night schools that have laxer admissions as opposed to high schools so you can improve your GPA.