Students

dropped out first year and impossible to transfer with my gpa..what should I do

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2016 11:04 am
Aug 26, 2011
381 posts
170 upvotes
Why apply for Civil Engineering? Why not apply for a program with very low admission requirements, bump up your GPA and then transfer to Civil Engineering? Apply for psyche, or general arts or a general science degree.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2016
15 posts
Newmarket
Syne wrote: If I were you, I'd fail to disclose your previous university and make your high school marks your basis of admission. But that's because I work in undergrad admissions and I know that none of the universities share a database and have no way of checking due to privacy concerns.

Now you would think that this would be where OUAC would step in, but OUAC doesn't know what happens once students accept their offers. For all they know, students drop out of their program and it becomes an issue for records. So OUAC has no idea either.
I applied for OSAP for my first year and I will need it again. Wouldn't the financial office see my record?
Jul 30, 2013
238 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
You have a couple of options...

1) petition the grades off your transcript (this is probably the hardest option), this probably isn't a good option but it's possible - you have to have a valid reason for doing poorly in your first year.

2) Apply to a college programme and do well, maintain a high GPA and either get your diploma or transfer to a university. (I recommend getting the diploma if you choose this option because the university will give you credits for having a diploma)

3) Wait until you're 21 and apply as a mature student.

There are three options, I'm not sure if there are any others but I hope this helps. If you need anymore advice, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck.
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
look into Athabasca and see if there are courses that would be applicable to the program you want too take, or courses you could use as transfer credits. Do a few semesters there and keep your grades good. Then apply to the new program/school and let them know that you faced trouble in your first year of school but have since refocused and doing well in the courses you are taking. It helps on the application to outline what went wrong and what steps you took to fix it, and how you will continue to utilize those strategies in future courses to ensure you are successful. While schools don't like seeing WD and bad grades, they do like seeing students who recognize where things went wrong and took steps to fix it.