• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2016 9:07 am
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto

Drove The Mitsubishi L200 Pick-UP Truck For 3 Weeks

In a recent vacation trip to a foreign country I drove the Mitsubishi L 200 Diesel 4-door pick-up truck. Here is the run-down;

-Excellent space for front and back passengers.

-Excellent space at the back for carrying motorcycles or furniture WITHOUT making the truck look ugly or too long.

-Not too big for parking in mall parking spots.

-Very high! The lowest part of the chassis is at least 14-inches off the ground! Loved the high seating position.

-More than enough power and acceleration for being a diesel. It had the same acceleration power as my ex V6 gasoline Chevy Venture minivan which was not a slugger at all.

-I had 5 passengers in the cabin (can seat 6 albeit there will be a passenger without a seatbelt) and had 8 people at the back and climbed mountain roads like a breeze, no sluggishness.

-I love the sporty appearance it has! Looks like a Honda Civic at the front.

-Its 4X4 with a big dial right beside you to change it from 2X2.

-Lots of leg space for everyone. Big cabin, both at the front and the back.

-Comes with an actual cigarrette lighter and ashtray!

-Okay here's the icing on the cake. I have never driven a vehicle with better fuel mileage than this truck (except for a diesel VW Jetta). Not even the RAM Eco-Diesel 1500 can hold a candle to this truck in fuel economy. From almost empty it only took $37 u.s. dollars to fill it up and I drove 122 km one-way and 122 km the other way and it only spent 2 bars of fuel from a total of 10 bars.

The only negative I saw from this truck is that it lacks enough USB connections. It only has one. That's pathetic in this day and age. Also they are not too much worried about being Fancy in the instrument cluster panel. At night when you look at the cluster it looks as if you are driving a Chevy Cobalt from the early 1990's. Its dull and not espectacular. It has an LCD screen for radio/audio but its as big as the screen of a Galaxy S3 and its strictly for audio and radio stations.

But on the plus side it has excellent handling skills in curves at high speeds and a remarkable stability. I would buy it over any other japanese truck. I can't imagine a Toyota or Nissan truck being any better.

17 replies
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gammatron wrote: In a recent vacation trip to a foreign country I drove the Mitsubishi L 200 Diesel 4-door pick-up truck. Here is the run-down;

-Excellent space for front and back passengers.

-Excellent space at the back for carrying motorcycles or furniture WITHOUT making the truck look ugly or too long.

-Not too big for parking in mall parking spots.

-Very high! The lowest part of the chassis is at least 14-inches off the ground! Loved the high seating position.

-More than enough power and acceleration for being a diesel. It had the same acceleration power as my ex V6 gasoline Chevy Venture minivan which was not a slugger at all.

-I had 5 passengers in the cabin (can seat 6 albeit there will be a passenger without a seatbelt) and had 8 people at the back and climbed mountain roads like a breeze, no sluggishness.

-I love the sporty appearance it has! Looks like a Honda Civic at the front.

-Its 4X4 with a big dial right beside you to change it from 2X2.

-Lots of leg space for everyone. Big cabin, both at the front and the back.

-Comes with an actual cigarrette lighter and ashtray!

-Okay here's the icing on the cake. I have never driven a vehicle with better fuel mileage than this truck (except for a diesel VW Jetta). Not even the RAM Eco-Diesel 1500 can hold a candle to this truck in fuel economy. From almost empty it only took $37 u.s. dollars to fill it up and I drove 122 km one-way and 122 km the other way and it only spent 2 bars of fuel from a total of 10 bars.

The only negative I saw from this truck is that it lacks enough USB connections. It only has one. That's pathetic in this day and age. Also they are not too much worried about being Fancy in the instrument cluster panel. At night when you look at the cluster it looks as if you are driving a Chevy Cobalt from the early 1990's. Its dull and not espectacular. It has an LCD screen for radio/audio but its as big as the screen of a Galaxy S3 and its strictly for audio and radio stations.

But on the plus side it has excellent handling skills in curves at high speeds and a remarkable stability. I would buy it over any other japanese truck. I can't imagine a Toyota or Nissan truck being any better.

ve always been a fan of smaller, city friendly, fuel efficent pickups... Night and day difference between them and the "Big Boy" trucks that always feel too big and at times sluggish.

Its really to bad that there is close to zero chance that this or its Fiat sister will ever make it to the United states and in turn Canada due to the nasty chicken tax..
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Gammatron wrote:
That doesn't give anyone the slightest idea how good your fuel economy was. I guess we could say it gets about 33km/US$. My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
sundin4prez wrote: ve always been a fan of smaller, city friendly, fuel efficent pickups... Night and day difference between them and the "Big Boy" trucks that always feel too big and at times sluggish.

Its really to bad that there is close to zero chance that this or its Fiat sister will ever make it to the United states and in turn Canada due to the nasty chicken tax..
Remember the old tacoma... Perfect size
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7615 upvotes
ON
i6s1 wrote: That doesn't give anyone the slightest idea how good your fuel economy was. I guess we could say it gets about 33km/US$. My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.
Effen right !!! No mention of price per liter nor how many liters to a tank or "bar". Typical gammatron ...
That truck is ugly as sin though...it shivers me timbers looking at it.
Apr 9, 2008
564 posts
257 upvotes
Bby
It's unfortunate that the north American market doesn't get a decent compact pickup/4x4. I'm more likely to import something 15+ years old from a foreign country than I am to buy the garbage that's available to us.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
liquidnails wrote: It's unfortunate that the north American market doesn't get a decent compact pickup/4x4. I'm more likely to import something 15+ years old from a foreign country than I am to buy the garbage that's available to us.
They did exist, and nobody bought them. New truck buyers in North America don't care about the minimal gain in fuel economy that compact trucks provide, we'd rather have a comfortable cab and a large box. What truck is so awesome that you'd bother to import it?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1252 posts
1871 upvotes
@home
That looks an awful lot like the Chevy Colorado they come in diesel as well
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Irrelevant thread.... Truck is not and won't be available here
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
i6s1 wrote: They did exist, and nobody bought them. New truck buyers in North America don't care about the minimal gain in fuel economy that compact trucks provide, we'd rather have a comfortable cab and a large box. What truck is so awesome that you'd bother to import it?
Perfection?

Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote: Effen right !!! No mention of price per liter nor how many liters to a tank or "bar". Typical gammatron ...
That truck is ugly as sin though...it shivers me timbers looking at it.
Well gasoline over there was like $3.18/gallon and from empty to full it only took $37 US dollars, that's about $47 canadian so do the math, it does not have a big tank at all. So do you have a better, sportier-looking truck than this one? Let me know if you find a better-looking one, and don't bring an 8-cylinder truck either, keep them under V6. The only one that comes close is the Ford SportTrac and that piece of junk has many mechanical problems and guzzles gasoline like a chainsaw.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
dilligafeh wrote: Effen right !!! No mention of price per liter nor how many liters to a tank or "bar". Typical gammatron ...
Gammatron wrote:

-Okay here's the icing on the cake. I have never driven a vehicle with better fuel mileage than this truck (except for a diesel VW Jetta). Not even the RAM Eco-Diesel 1500 can hold a candle to this truck in fuel economy. From almost empty it only took $37 u.s. dollars to fill it up
I went on a vacation. On this trip I drove a truck, from almost empty I filled up the entire tank for $6.30 USD!!! So cheap!! Get's great gas mileage!

Did I mention that it was a Hummer H1 and that I drove it in Venezuela (gas: 15 cents/gallon) ? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-ame ... story.html
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7615 upvotes
ON
Gammatron wrote: Well gasoline over there was like $3.18/gallon and from empty to full it only took $37 US dollars, that's about $47 canadian so do the math, it does not have a big tank at all. So do you have a better, sportier-looking truck than this one? Let me know if you find a better-looking one, and don't bring an 8-cylinder truck either, keep them under V6. The only one that comes close is the Ford SportTrac and that piece of junk has many mechanical problems and guzzles gasoline like a chainsaw.
So you put gasoline in a diesel truck...brilliant. You seem to have uncovered the trick to great fuel economy...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Soooo, you drove this thing for 3 weeks, give review and the best photo you can post is from a website? You lack a cell phone from the early 2000s??? You are best troll.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Soooo, you drove this thing for 3 weeks, give review and the best photo you can post is from a website? You lack a cell phone from the early 2000s??? You are best troll.
Does RFD allows you to upload pics and host them here?

Yeah, and keep dreaming Im going to put a pic of myself here on RFD :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7615 upvotes
ON
Gammatron wrote: Does RFD allows you to upload pics and host them here?

Yeah, and keep dreaming Im going to put a pic of myself here on RFD :facepalm:
Picture of the truck you dummy not yours , we already know what you look like.Image
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
You already got a picture in the first post, and a quality, professional one too from the net. When I was driving it the last thing on my mind was to take a selfie with it to show you guys. If you think I just chose a random car from hundreds of others that is not even sold in Canada for my review to fake a story then that's your problem buddy. That sounds really smart doesn't it?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Gammatron wrote: You already got a picture in the first post, and a quality, professional one too from the net. When I was driving it the last thing on my mind was to take a selfie with it to show you guys. If you think I just chose a random car from hundreds of others that is not even sold in Canada for my review to fake a story then that's your problem buddy. That sounds really smart doesn't it?
A hard life of fail still lies ahead of you. I'm surprised you've made it this far.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)