Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Drum-Tec

Save up to thousands on electronic drum gear vs. Long & McQuade etc

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2022 8:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5163 posts
8539 upvotes
Canada

Save up to thousands on electronic drum gear vs. Long & McQuade etc

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Drum-Tec
This is sort of a niche deal but I think it is worth sharing! Also the currency strategy can be used for other things.

The basis of this is that the Canadian dollar is very strong because of oil (just not vs the USD) and the Euro is weak because of the war etc. Currently a Euro is around C$1.38, its lowest point since 2012 I believe.

Drum-Tec is a well-known and highly respected electronic drum shop in Germany - they sell Roland, Yamaha, etc as well as make their own electronic drums with Sonor shells from a factory only miles away. They also sell packages of items not available here with additional discounts, and allow you to customize kits that are normally sold in one configuration. They also extend manufacturer warranty for extra years. Plus they actually have stock of things there are almost none of in Canada.

This musical equipment essentially never goes on sale. The key thing to point out is prices on their website include a 20% EU sales tax not applicable to Canadian buyers. Shipping costs are significant and the tariff on these items is 6% - excluding the made in Germany items which should be tariff free - and they ship with UPS Express.

Let me give you a few examples of how much better their prices are. Say you want a TD-27 module, digital snare and digital ride to upgrade your kit. Long and McQuade sells these individually, at a total price of $3870+tax. Drum-Tec sells this package for list price 2279 Euros. Divide by 1.2 to remove tax, then add 6% tariff and add about 200 euros for shipping, and you get $3098+tax and brokerage fees.

You generally save more money the more you buy, even with the shipping costs getting a bit crazy. Say you want the full Roland VAD506 drum kit. This retails for $7,400 in Canada. Drum-Tec sells is for list price 4,239 Euros after tax, and it ships for a very pricey ~$650 Euros. After discount, tariff and conversion it comes to about $6050+tax & brokerage fees. So you will save about a $1000 or more.

FWIW, I ordered a Roland VAD503 drum kit from them, subtracted out the VH-10 hi hats and added the new digital hi-hat and an extra 16 inch crash for 4,260 Euros including shipping. I will end up saving about two grand. Also this was way cheaper because they customized it how I wanted whereas in Canada I'd have to buy extra components and try to sell them later. The reps are very helpful and provide you with custom quotes.

The last thing I will say is that smaller items that have lower shipping costs may have the best discounts but I haven't shopped them much - everything is essentially a good deal right now.

Cheers all
Images
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.56.13 AM.png
Last edited by Blubbs on Mar 23rd, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2662 posts
2692 upvotes
Montréal
idc about drums but pointing out the historic price discrepancy of CAD to EU is interesting...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5163 posts
8539 upvotes
Canada
thesubmitter wrote: idc about drums but pointing out the historic price discrepancy of CAD to EU is interesting...
I got a reply so I am happy! Haha.

Yes, I've been thinking about what else I might want to buy from Europe. Now is a great time, and helping their economy with exports is good for everyone as well.
Oct 17, 2019
7 posts
6 upvotes
Would love to hear about other Europe deals as well. Nice strategy!
Mar 22, 2022
13 posts
5 upvotes
This is a great way to snag a deal! I have a fairly dated TD-11 w/ the mesh snare and 3 mesh toms. I expect they'd be compatible with an upgraded module, and I should probably consider such an upgrade at some point. Thanks!
Sep 3, 2019
99 posts
87 upvotes
Wow this is an incredibly astute observation. Really great find, OP.
I am curious on some advice. I'm 24 and just got really interested in learning drums a few weeks ago.
Would you recommend I look for a cheap electronic kit to learn on or would it be worthwhile to opt for a lower-level kit from these guys given the current economic situation? Do they have an introductory kit you think would be worthwhile?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5163 posts
8539 upvotes
Canada
BadB0ii wrote: Wow this is an incredibly astute observation. Really great find, OP.
I am curious on some advice. I'm 24 and just got really interested in learning drums a few weeks ago.
Would you recommend I look for a cheap electronic kit to learn on or would it be worthwhile to opt for a lower-level kit from these guys given the current economic situation? Do they have an introductory kit you think would be worthwhile?
Thanks!

I assume you need it to be quiet so you are looking at e-drums?

It’s also possible to convert any old crappy acoustic kit to electric and you can buy the mesh heads and triggers from them to DIY it . But it won’t be as quiet as little pads.
Oct 23, 2006
140 posts
2 upvotes
A friend of mine just ordered a Drum-Tec pro setup with TD-50x last week. Bank exchange rate was $1.49.

I will vouch for Drum-Tec service. I asked them for a quote on some items and they sent one within a day. VAT removed and shipping included in euro$$.
Aug 27, 2019
20 posts
67 upvotes
Ugh, this is such a smart deal and I've always wanted a set if electronic drums but I just can't swing it right now. Great post OP!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2504 posts
1717 upvotes
North Vancouver
Sweet post OP! Ordered a Roland PDX-8 pad for 109 Euro or $150 CAD approximately. They sell for $320 at L&M.

Update: just had to pay UPS $29.21 CAD for import charges.
Last edited by Sorcerer on Mar 25th, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically -?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3110 posts
1778 upvotes
Kingston
RonenS94555 wrote: Would love to hear about other Europe deals as well. Nice strategy!
Motorcycle helmets! Half the price of buying in Canada for some brands.
May 23, 2011
174 posts
57 upvotes
Interesting! I have been debating a TD17-KVX kit for a while...

Is it just as simple as checking out with a CAD credit card and address ?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2504 posts
1717 upvotes
North Vancouver
I had a b*tch of a time paying with either my MC or Amex, it just wouldn't work. I kept get an error message. In the end, what did work was this 'pay by via Amazon' thing which allowed me to finally make a payment, that part was frustrating.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically -?
Nov 6, 2011
157 posts
120 upvotes
PORTUGAL COVE-ST PHI…
JC69 wrote: Motorcycle helmets! Half the price of buying in Canada for some brands.
Brands? Dealer? I’m in the market for a new helmet. Thanks!
Oct 23, 2006
140 posts
2 upvotes
runkpocker wrote: Interesting! I have been debating a TD17-KVX kit for a while...

Is it just as simple as checking out with a CAD credit card and address ?
I would shoot them an email and have them send a quote for what you are after. Shipping on the site checkout does not seem to work as it always shows $35 no matter what you choose. I had them quote a EFNOTE 3X and shipping was $295 Euro. Then you should just be able to call them and pay by Cc.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21129 posts
5814 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Thank you OP for such a well-explained deal! I don't play the drums, but all deals on this site should be so well-explained.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1317 posts
1037 upvotes
Hamilton
JC69 wrote: Motorcycle helmets! Half the price of buying in Canada for some brands.
Any links?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3110 posts
1778 upvotes
Kingston
sspick wrote: Brands? Dealer? I’m in the market for a new helmet. Thanks!
Chromeburner or FC Moto for Nexx or Schuberth helmets among others. My Nexx was $450 for a carbon fibre helmet that retails for more than $900 here. Schuberth C4 pro for around $400 landed from Europe vs $800+ here.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1193 posts
460 upvotes
I’m still rocking a TD-30 and it’s a beast. I do daydream about the VAD series tho…

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)