Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver

Dry eye problem costing $30/month

Does anyone else suffer from severe dry eyes? It's ridiculous how much we have to pay. Just wondering if anyone's found any cheaper options or health programs that help them?

I'm paying $12.99 (sale price, usual price is $15) for a bottle of my hydrasense eye drops, twice a month because I run out so fast. I also could use the eye ointment but can't afford it.

I actually just went two weeks of no eye drops and I can't take it anymore. I've been unemployed for 4 months, but even with a job it is still so expensive.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19392 posts
2141 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Have you gone to an optometrist and if so, what was their diagnosis? Going through that much eye drop isn't normal by any standard.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1374 upvotes
Sounds about consistent with what my OTC supplies were when recovering from laser refractive surgery, which is notorious for creating dry eyes.

Restasis (a prescription medication for dry eye) is apparently going generic, so once that happens, it may end up on the BC Drug Plan formulary. You may be able to have punctal plugging performed which can help with dry eye through an optometrist and/or on referral to an ophthalmologist.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
Supercooled wrote: Have you gone to an optometrist and if so, what was their diagnosis? Going through that much eye drop isn't normal by any standard.
Oh it is normal for people with dry eyes. I've been to the ophthalmologist like 10 times. She told me that I SHOULD be using the drops at least 6 drops multiple times a day (per eye). Really good ophthalmologist, one of the best doctors I have ever been with in general.
burnt69 wrote: Sounds about consistent with what my OTC supplies were when recovering from laser refractive surgery, which is notorious for creating dry eyes.

Restasis (a prescription medication for dry eye) is apparently going generic, so once that happens, it may end up on the BC Drug Plan formulary. You may be able to have punctal plugging performed which can help with dry eye through an optometrist and/or on referral to an ophthalmologist.
Hopefully... but my ophthalmologist never recommended the plugs so I think maybe my condition isn't as severe? I can't imagine it not being as severe, but perhaps there are worse cases.

The drops are really expensive though... I just spent around $50 last night getting eye lubrication stuff. I had laser surgery nearly 8 years ago. But dry eyes has never been a problem until the recent summers. I think it's a global warming thing.
Last edited by SquirreI on Aug 4th, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 18, 2017
491 posts
341 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: Does anyone else suffer from severe dry eyes? It's ridiculous how much we have to pay. Just wondering if anyone's found any cheaper options or health programs that help them?

I'm paying $12.99 (sale price, usual price is $15) for a bottle of my hydrasense eye drops, twice a month because I run out so fast. I also could use the eye ointment but can't afford it.

I actually just went two weeks of no eye drops and I can't take it anymore. I've been unemployed for 4 months, but even with a job it is still so expensive.
https://www.costco.ca/hydraSense-Drops- ... 84331.html
3 for $24.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
qman23 wrote: Tried isopto tears?
They are hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, cheaper and last longer.
Or try any of the polyvinyl alcohol based ones too.
I think i've tried them. I don't know... I told my ophthalmologist what drops i've used, and she scolded me lol. She told me to only use preservative-free, so I switched and there isn't much preservative-free drops. The one she recommended me was like $50 for 1 10ml bottle. And $60 for the 10ml gel bottle.

Tried it but it was way too expensive and ran out so fast... so I changed to this new one called hydrasense which is preservative-free, and is the cheapest option for me... that i know of so far. They run out so fast too. I just got one bottle delivered today and I already used like 3/10th of it.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11046 posts
2141 upvotes
Did your ophthalmologist tell you to try Omega-3? Don't forget to blink and reset your eye often. Place a warm towel over your eyelids for 5 to 10 minutes at night may help too.

SquirreI wrote: Oh it is normal for people with dry eyes. I've been to the ophthalmologist like 10 times. She told me that I SHOULD be using the drops at least 6 drops multiple times a day (per eye). Really good ophthalmologist, one of the best doctors I have ever been with in general.

Hopefully... but my ophthalmologist never recommended the plugs so I think maybe my condition isn't as severe? I can't imagine it not being as severe, but perhaps there are worse cases.

The drops are really expensive though... I just spent around $50 last night getting eye lubrication stuff. I had laser surgery nearly 8 years ago. But dry eyes has never been a problem until the recent summers. I think it's a global warming thing.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one even after you are fully vaccinated.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7730 posts
1611 upvotes
We use a product called TearGel, can be found at most pharmacy but I think Costco has the best price on those too. They may be a bit cheaper than the drops and best to apply at night before you sleep.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
82 wrote: Did your ophthalmologist tell you to try Omega-3? Don't forget to blink and reset your eye often. Place a warm towel over your eyelids for 5 to 10 minutes at night may help too.
Yeah I take like really good omega 3 supplements everyday because I work out a lot, but I don't think it does anything for my eyes. Unless there is an omega 3 eye drop.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3848 upvotes
I have dealt with dry eyes for years after my laser surgery.

I get systane ultra from costco, regular price is 19.99 for 3 10ml bottles, but sometimes it's 15.99 on sale, so I grab a pack then. The 3 bottles usually lasts me 2-3 months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: I have dealt with dry eyes for years after my laser surgery.

I get systane ultra from costco, regular price is 19.99 for 3 10ml bottles, but sometimes it's 15.99 on sale, so I grab a pack then. The 3 bottles usually lasts me 2-3 months.
Is that ok? My opthamologist said it has to be preservative free for people that guy laser eye surgery.