Home & Garden

Dryer booster fan won't stop running - electrician or HAVC repair?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 1:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 22, 2020
1 posts

Dryer booster fan won't stop running - electrician or HAVC repair?

As the title says, the dryer vent runs non stop with or without the dryer turned on. The only way to get it stop is to turn off the breaker. The guy who did air duct cleaning for me said some sensor is not working and suggested me to get an electrician to fix it. I called a couple of electricians but they both told me they don't do this kind of work and I should get an HVAC technician. I then called an HVAC technician but he doesn't seem to understand what a dryer booster fan is and sound very confused.

Anyone had the same issue before? Is this a problem for an electrician or an HVAC technician?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2295 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge
Your best bet is call a Appliance repair guy. If you are in GTA, I can share the no.
rfvent wrote: As the title says, the dryer vent runs non stop with or without the dryer turned on. The only way to get it stop is to turn off the breaker. The guy who did air duct cleaning for me said some sensor is not working and suggested me to get an electrician to fix it. I called a couple of electricians but they both told me they don't do this kind of work and I should get an HVAC technician. I then called an HVAC technician but he doesn't seem to understand what a dryer booster fan is and sound very confused.

Anyone had the same issue before? Is this a problem for an electrician or an HVAC technician?
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Jun 6, 2018
91 posts
39 upvotes
An electrician should be the go to guy.
How old is the building?
It may be another switch wired in parallel (as my unit is) which is located in the kitchen. 1 booster fan draws both from the kitchen and dryer.
If the booster fan goes on automatically (no switch) then it either has an air sensor or a current switch(common in newer builds) which closes the circuit for the booster fan(turns on ) when the dryer draws current.
Yep. You guessed right. Former electrician here!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11654 posts
6212 upvotes
Brampton
Echoing what Hhuggles said. Check to see if your "Home Ventilation" fan or something labelled along those lines is not switched on. In Many cases it's wired together to run a vent fan to get fresh air in to the home.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4192 posts
3468 upvotes
Toronto
If it's the type where the sensor is in the dryer ducting, it's likely caked with dryer lint. Try to figure it where it is and clean it, and you may save yourself the aggravation of trying to find someone.

As hhuggles said, some other ones detect electrical current, so you'll need a pro for that.