Home & Garden

Dryers with steam function - Is it useful?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2021 4:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
552 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto

Dryers with steam function - Is it useful?

We just took delivery of a new LG washer and dryer from the recent Costco sale. The Dryer has a steam function, described as follows:

"LG's new steam technology injects fabrics with a swirling jet of hot steam to refresh clothes, reduce static, and make ironing easier."

For anyone who has a dryer with a similar function, how or when is it useful? I'm a little hesitant to add two more possible sources of a water leak with the splitter hose and an extra hose to go to the dryer if this function is not going to improve my life in any way.
27 replies
Jul 31, 2017
330 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
We never hooked ours up and I can't say my life is the worse for it
Sep 12, 2013
115 posts
67 upvotes
Markham
i used mine once, didn't notice any difference, so haven't used it since
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3360 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Have it, never used it
Oct 2, 2018
712 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
We have the feature and have never used either.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2875 posts
1341 upvotes
Mississauga
I use mine about once a month mostly to remove odors from items. Pillows, winter jackets, stuffed toys etc. Mostly items that are stuffed and won’t be washed often.

Mine has about 6 years of use. I have a hammer arrestor on the line and replaced the hose last year.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17082 posts
14461 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Have it.
Use it occasionally.
Best used for the 2 functions it’s described for:

1- Taking wrinkles out of the load you forgot about in the dryer
2- Customized Refreshing for things that are not quite dirty enough to clean ... in our house that has been mostly Drycleanables ... Blazers / Suit Jackets - Dress Pants - Ladies Fancy Clothing / Formalwear etc

So I think it comes down to what type of lifestyle you have
Super busy with kids so laundry gets forgotten
Or upscale enough that you wear Suits, Businesswear, and Fancier Clothes

Lol, if you are busy dual income 2 professionals with kids ... you’ll probably like it / use it a lot

From our Maytag manual :
Use Steam Cycles to help smooth out wrinkles from dry items, such as clothes that have beenworn or clothes that have been left in the dryer too long. When a Steam Cycle is selected, theestimated time remaining display shows the actual time remaining in the cycle.NOTE: Results may vary depending on fabric. 100% cotton garments with wrinkle-freefinish may yield better results than those without.Use of a fabric softener sheet is not recommended with steam cycles as it may causetemporary staining on the clothes.Rapid Refresh Small LoadThis cycle is best for smoothing out wrinkles and reducing odors from loads consisting of oneto four dry items of wrinkle-free cotton, cotton-polyester blend, common knits, and syntheticgarments. In this cycle, a small amount of water is sprayed into the dryer drum after severalminutes of tumbling with heat. The dryer will continue to tumble with heat followed by a briefcool down. The heat level and cycle time are not adjustable.Custom RefreshThis cycle is best for touching up clothes that have been left in the dryer too long. In thiscycle, a small amount of water is sprayed into the dryer drum after several minutes oftumbling with heat. The dryer will continue to tumble with heat followed by a brief cooldown. The dry time and temperature can be adjusted for this cycle
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16831 posts
18545 upvotes
Oakville
PointsHubby wrote: Have it.
Use it occasionally.
Best used for the 2 functions it’s described for:

1- Taking wrinkles out of the load you forgot about in the dryer
2- Customized Refreshing for things that are not quite dirty enough to clean ... in our house that has been mostly Drycleanables ... Blazers / Suit Jackets - Dress Pants - Ladies Fancy Clothing / Formalwear etc

So I think it comes down to what type of lifestyle you have
Super busy with kids so laundry gets forgotten
Or upscale enough that you wear Suits, Businesswear, and Fancier Clothes

Lol, if you are busy dual income 2 professionals with kids ... you’ll probably like it / use it a lot

From our Maytag manual :
We also use it on our LG dryer occasionally. Mostly for sanitizing kids toys or pillows.
I also sometimes use it for a wrinkly shirt.

Ours just had a small container you fill up when you want to use it. Not sure I would have bothered if it required a splitter and hose.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5940 posts
4248 upvotes
Own a LG set, with steam function on the dryer. We use it to ''sanitize'' pilows, refresh duvet cover, and cloths that we wash less often like winter jackets

never tried for wrinkled cloths tho
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5917 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
I use it on mostly every dryer load. I find it helps reduce static a lot, and for things like dress shirts/chinos or even polos, it helps a ton (do those separately and in small loads). In my experience, things like that generally don't need ironing afterwards unless you want it to be perfect (so for everyday office work it's fine straight out of the dryer). Used it for things like pillows, duvets, jackets etc. too just on its own (i.e., the item is dry when it goes in).
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
552 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the feedback, I think the steam function will be a pass for us.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8145 posts
1804 upvotes
Wife never uses it. I use it to iron,
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3441 posts
2418 upvotes
Toronto
I rented a condo in the US for the last 2 years for work and it had a good old fashioned agitating washing machine and basic dryer.

Made me miss my old Maytags that I bought 20 years ago, had disassembled and put back together in our 2nd floor laundry (only machines I could do that to and maintain warranty and was necessary to fit up the stairs).

Drum started leaking on it so I ended up with 24" compact units which sucked and I got rid of in under a year. Now I have top loading HE washer and dryer - both good, but nothing like the good old fashioned simple fast basic units.

Skip all this fancy BS and get the most basic, cheap washer and dryer you can find.
May 21, 2015
964 posts
514 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I thought all recent, as in the last couple of years, LG steam dryers didn't need to be hooked up to a water line and used a refillable water container in the drawer on the top left of the machine?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2360 posts
1083 upvotes
Edmonton
Occasional use of steam, older LG model with the container for water. Remember to use tap water!!
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8145 posts
1804 upvotes
Beneful1 wrote: I thought all recent, as in the last couple of years, LG steam dryers didn't need to be hooked up to a water line and used a refillable water container in the drawer on the top left of the machine?
The latest models hook up to a water line. I have a 3900 dryer.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1586 posts
1260 upvotes
Montreal
Beneful1 wrote: I thought all recent, as in the last couple of years, LG steam dryers didn't need to be hooked up to a water line and used a refillable water container in the drawer on the top left of the machine?
My old dryer had that and it worked. Less conduit and water leaking in the future.
EPcjay wrote: The latest models hook up to a water line. I have a 3900 dryer.
Wish it was the old method with a refillable container.
May 21, 2015
964 posts
514 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I'd rather have the refillable water container as it's just one less thing to possibly leak and create major water damage. I'd use it if I had that. For now if I need wrinkles out of something I'll just toss the item in the dryer with a wrung out damp cloth or something and let it run for a few minutes, not perfect but it does help.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12736 posts
9480 upvotes
GTA, ON
bubuski wrote: I use mine about once a month mostly to remove odors from items. Pillows, winter jackets, stuffed toys etc. Mostly items that are stuffed and won’t be washed often.

Mine has about 6 years of use. I have a hammer arrestor on the line and replaced the hose last year.
I agree, I've used it before too.

Mainly use it as the above, to freshen or sanitize items that can't be ironed or normally thrown into the washing machine: stuffed toys, puffy jackets etc. If I'm in a rush in the morning, then I may toss a pair of pants in there for a quick freshening and take out gentle wrinkles.

What you want OP is to NOT use the supplied Y splitter and hose that comes with the dryer but buy a proper kit from the hardware store. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eastman-stainless-steel-steam-dryer-installation-kit/1001033736

Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!