• Aug 12th, 2021 3:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7206 posts
3547 upvotes
Montreal

Drywall bulge after mounting TV

A bulge on my drywall appeared after I put my tv mount on. They are hard to the touch. Pilot holes were drilled and studs were hit. Is this anything to worry about?
Images
  • 3ADBA58C-3C60-476A-8512-CCD6C1BA3C42.jpeg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1440 posts
769 upvotes
TORONTO
Eeeee. Did you hit a pipe or something. That looks like water behind the wall.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7206 posts
3547 upvotes
Montreal
akswun wrote: Eeeee. Did you hit a pipe or something. That looks like water behind the wall.
Its been a week and the bulge is hard and unchanged, everything looks dry so probably no pipes there. Its on the wall where the builder designed to have a tv, so It would be surprising if they put a pipe there lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5034 posts
1585 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Or because you pulled the bolts too tight and pulled the mount tight onto the studs. An existing drywall nail/screw could then get popped and pushed up towards the surface of the drywall paper and paint causing that bulge.

Something like this: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... ounting-tv
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Mar 9, 2019
227 posts
118 upvotes
You tighten the bolts to tight and pulled the drywall. It happened to when I mounted my TV. Not a big deal since its behind the TV, and on the positive note you know the TV aint coming down :)
Mar 24, 2009
215 posts
169 upvotes
KW
There was probably a bulge in the drywall. You just never noticed it.

Something pushed its way through the drywall (a screw, clip, a nail head)

When you remove the tv. Just cut around and fill will mud. It’s nothing major.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47774 posts
8484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Madevilz wrote: Its been a week and the bulge is hard and unchanged, everything looks dry so probably no pipes there. Its on the wall where the builder designed to have a tv, so It would be surprising if they put a pipe there lol
Just wanted to point out that this means nothing - the builder puts boxes wherever they want on the floor plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1460 posts
463 upvotes
Vaughan
agree with everyone else. nothing to worry about unless it's wet. it's purely cosmetic and since it's behind the TV, it shouldn't be a problem. The odd shape of the buldge makes it seem like it was just a mud job that got pulled out when the screws were drilled in.