Home & Garden

Drywall corner bead for novice

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 11:22 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto

Drywall corner bead for novice

Hi folks,
New home owner here. I am going to install 7 panels of drywall on one side of the garage. Other than taping the joints, I also need to put corner beads on 1 outside corner, 3 inside corners, and wall to ceiling corner.
What kind of corner beads would you guys suggest, for such a newbie like me?
Here are the options based on my research
1. Metal corner bead (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000182094). I think most pros use this - cheap but not very DIY friendly
2. Paper faced metal bead (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-sh ... 1000109056) Based on reviews I think this one is easier to apply than opt. 1
3. Vinyl Corner bead (https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1-14-x-1 ... lts%20page) Seems that this one is easier to apply with just adhesive and staples. however, some people said it is thicker which requires more coats to hide the edges, and easier to crack
4. Strait-Flex / No-coat (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-st ... 1000761167) Most expensive option. I believe this is also vinyl so it has the same drawback as option 3, and this product is more for off-angle applications?

Costs are not the biggest concern. Just would like to find the easiest / safest way for a new DIYer.

A separate question - can I use sheetrock 45 to tape these beads? I have a left-over bag from the contractor who did our basement reno. It will be great that I can just recycle it.

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16496 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
I think you would just use drywall tape for inside corners.
If you want a durable outside corner, go for vinyl.

Sheetrock 45 is fine.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1168 posts
883 upvotes
I would probably just go with the metal for the outside, its most likely the easiest to DIY.

You can go with paper with metal for the insides if you want. Even paper with metal for the outside isn't that bad.
No.6 wrote: A separate question - can I use sheetrock 45 to tape these beads? I have a left-over bag from the contractor who did our basement reno. It will be great that I can just recycle it.
If you're asking this question, to do a full corner I would not recommend using 45min mud. Its most likely just too fast drying for your skill level. Even 90 mins might be too fast for you.

I would likely just get a bucket of normal premixed mud, and a mixer. Then you can add a bit of water each time and mix it to the right consistency. Yes, that is right, you still need to add water and mix premixed mud in most cases. Again, stuff like this with a 24 hour dry time is better when you're new.

Also, just one last tip. The inside corner bead is pretty easy, but for the outside corner bead you have to make sure it doesn't twist. After you put it on the corner, check in a bunch of stops, top, middle, bottom, that on all sides when you put your knife resting on the bead as well as the wall, you can see daylight. If you can't see daylight everywhere, the corner bead has twisted and needs to be repositioned. If you don't have daylight your corner bead doesn't really do anything.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
1006 posts
472 upvotes
Longueuil
I only used tape for inside corners and metal (your first link) for outside corners. I am a newbie as well, metal corner is not difficult to install IMO. The only advice I can give you: you will need more mud than you think Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! I will first try inside corners with tape then.
engineered wrote: I think you would just use drywall tape for inside corners.
If you want a durable outside corner, go for vinyl.

Sheetrock 45 is fine.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a lot for the tips!
I will go grab a bucket of premixed mud & a mixer. And really appreciate the additional tip on checking the outside corner.
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: I would probably just go with the metal for the outside, its most likely the easiest to DIY.

You can go with paper with metal for the insides if you want. Even paper with metal for the outside isn't that bad.



If you're asking this question, to do a full corner I would not recommend using 45min mud. Its most likely just too fast drying for your skill level. Even 90 mins might be too fast for you.

I would likely just get a bucket of normal premixed mud, and a mixer. Then you can add a bit of water each time and mix it to the right consistency. Yes, that is right, you still need to add water and mix premixed mud in most cases. Again, stuff like this with a 24 hour dry time is better when you're new.

Also, just one last tip. The inside corner bead is pretty easy, but for the outside corner bead you have to make sure it doesn't twist. After you put it on the corner, check in a bunch of stops, top, middle, bottom, that on all sides when you put your knife resting on the bead as well as the wall, you can see daylight. If you can't see daylight everywhere, the corner bead has twisted and needs to be repositioned. If you don't have daylight your corner bead doesn't really do anything.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Haha. That is what I heard from my friends, too. Thanks.
JEDI Force wrote: I only used tape for inside corners and metal (your first link) for outside corners. I am a newbie as well, metal corner is not difficult to install IMO. The only advice I can give you: you will need more mud than you think Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sr. Member
Jan 21, 2011
627 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
You can put a half bead at the bottom of drywall if you want a nice straight line. Just put a bead of caulk after between that and your foundation walls.

Personally I would use at least Sheetrock 90 for first coat. Use a 4” knife first, followed by a 6 or 8, and then a 10 or 12” trowel and or knife.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1639 posts
737 upvotes
Metal for outside corners, most durable.
Member
May 17, 2007
317 posts
27 upvotes
For a DIY job, I would suggest the Aquabead adhesive corner bead. They have them at Rona: https://www.rona.ca/en/aquabead-90-degr ... 5-09935090

I used a few of these in my basement, and found them to be really easy. You spray some water on it to activate the glue, then glue it to the corner. You have a short moment to adjust it, but then it is set. You won't make it shift around when mudding like a paper corner, and because it is glued the whole length, it won't separate like a metal or plain plastic corner.
Newbie
Mar 24, 2009
66 posts
45 upvotes
KW
No.6 wrote: Hi folks,
New home owner here. I am going to install 7 panels of drywall on one side of the garage. Other than taping the joints, I also need to put corner beads on 1 outside corner, 3 inside corners, and wall to ceiling corner.
What kind of corner beads would you guys suggest, for such a newbie like me?
Here are the options based on my research
1. Metal corner bead (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000182094). I think most pros use this - cheap but not very DIY friendly
2. Paper faced metal bead (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-sh ... 1000109056) Based on reviews I think this one is easier to apply than opt. 1
3. Vinyl Corner bead (https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1-14-x-1 ... lts%20page) Seems that this one is easier to apply with just adhesive and staples. however, some people said it is thicker which requires more coats to hide the edges, and easier to crack
4. Strait-Flex / No-coat (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-st ... 1000761167) Most expensive option. I believe this is also vinyl so it has the same drawback as option 3, and this product is more for off-angle applications?

Costs are not the biggest concern. Just would like to find the easiest / safest way for a new DIYer.

A separate question - can I use sheetrock 45 to tape these beads? I have a left-over bag from the contractor who did our basement reno. It will be great that I can just recycle it.

Thanks!
For an amateur like yourself.

Plastic corner bead. Trimtex. Trimtex glue
Roll of paper tape.
Sheetrock45 is already there. It’s tricky to use for an amateur.
Box of regular mud.
That’s all you need

Corner beads (plastic corner bead) go on outside corners. A corner that you bump into.
YOU DONT PUT CORNER BEAD ON INSIDES.

Use the spray adhesive on. Put it on liberally. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Grab a plastic corner bead. Press the corner bead onto the outside corner. Run your index finger and thumb along outside To ensure that the corner bead sticks. Done.

Rinse and repeat until all your corner bead is done.

Use paper bead along joints (drywall meets drywall) and inside corners.
Put thin layers of mud over top of the rape.
A heavier coat of mud on the corner bead.
Rinse and repeat after a couple of days.
Sand down and rough edges.

That’s basically it…..
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6725 posts
2300 upvotes
GTA
I drywall/mud as little as possible but when necessary to keep a project moving I find the metal embedded in paper is by far the easiest to use. Go with the wide $5 ea outside corner, the smaller ones are harder to work with.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6725 posts
2300 upvotes
GTA
smitty9999 wrote:
Yep, that's the wide paper/steel corner bead I mentioned-easy to work with. Lowes or HD (don't recall which) does carry the wide outside corner beads, guy in that vid says you must go to specialty store. My regular drywall guy doesn't need this but if client is on hook to pay materials he picks these beads up also-says its easier/faster.
These are great for bulkheads where a straight line really stands out.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions!
raptormaniac wrote: For an amateur like yourself.

Plastic corner bead. Trimtex. Trimtex glue
Roll of paper tape.
Sheetrock45 is already there. It’s tricky to use for an amateur.
Box of regular mud.
That’s all you need

Corner beads (plastic corner bead) go on outside corners. A corner that you bump into.
YOU DONT PUT CORNER BEAD ON INSIDES.

Use the spray adhesive on. Put it on liberally. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Grab a plastic corner bead. Press the corner bead onto the outside corner. Run your index finger and thumb along outside To ensure that the corner bead sticks. Done.

Rinse and repeat until all your corner bead is done.

Use paper bead along joints (drywall meets drywall) and inside corners.
Put thin layers of mud over top of the rape.
A heavier coat of mud on the corner bead.
Rinse and repeat after a couple of days.
Sand down and rough edges.

That’s basically it…..
Newbie
Mar 24, 2009
66 posts
45 upvotes
KW
No.6 wrote: Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions!
No problem.

I forgot to mention. It’s a garage….you’re not going to mess anything up. Relax and have fun with it.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Haha true! I will just take it as a learning lesson.
Sorry just one more question - should I use all-purpose muds for all applications? Or maybe sheetrock 45 for screw holes and all-purpose for joints/corners?
Thanks!
raptormaniac wrote: No problem.

I forgot to mention. It’s a garage….you’re not going to mess anything up. Relax and have fun with it.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a lot! This guy is great!
I have been following him on youtube and watched a lot of his instruction videos.
smitty9999 wrote:
Newbie
Mar 24, 2009
66 posts
45 upvotes
KW
No.6 wrote: Haha true! I will just take it as a learning lesson.
Sorry just one more question - should I use all-purpose muds for all applications? Or maybe sheetrock 45 for screw holes and all-purpose for joints/corners?
Thanks!
I don’t like recommending that an amateur uses it. It’s a PITA to sand after you mess up….LOL.

Be the good neighbour/friend/family member and give it to the next renovation….
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2006
146 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Haha! Thanks!
raptormaniac wrote: I don’t like recommending that an amateur uses it. It’s a PITA to sand after you mess up….LOL.

Be the good neighbour/friend/family member and give it to the next renovation….

Top