Drywall Tape Peeling off Corners

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2021 8:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes

Drywall Tape Peeling off Corners

I bought a pre-construction townhome and after 7 months since moving in I am seeing the drywall tape at the corners peel off in a couple of locations, mostly on the top floor. The builder is saying this is caused by settlement and is not warranted. While settlement may have caused it, I think the builder did a very poor job which is the reason why this is happening. Can anyone with experience on this comment? Can I prove the builder executed the work with poor workmanship?

Photos:
https://ibb.co/5hxMBTj
https://ibb.co/ctXZSMf
https://ibb.co/7K4g6Bq
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4843 posts
1377 upvotes
No, that's not settling. There's no mud under that tape.

It's worse than my first plaster attempt, which was so bad I had to sand it back to the drywall paper.
Let's hug it out
Jun 26, 2019
957 posts
707 upvotes
Is there even mud on top of that tape? Looks like a pretty bad job.

The whole point of drywall tape is to support a shear load when your house moves.

If their settlement excuse is correct, there would have to be some pretty significant differential settlement or some pretty drastic wood movement for that to take place. Is it just coming off on corners?
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Is there even mud on top of that tape? Looks like a pretty bad job.

The whole point of drywall tape is to support a shear load when your house moves.

If their settlement excuse is correct, there would have to be some pretty significant differential settlement or some pretty drastic wood movement for that to take place. Is it just coming off on corners?
Definitely is a bad job, this builder is horrible. The tape is just coming off the corners. Tarion will not warrant it if it is due to settlement but I know for sure they poorly executed the work...
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4711 posts
1391 upvotes
0 downvotes
the builder is not horrible, the tradesperson they contracted to do the mudding was horrible
Hi
Feb 25, 2004
952 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
GoodFellaz wrote: the builder is not horrible, the tradesperson they contracted to do the mudding was horrible
Saying it is caused by settlement (lie) and not wanting to fix it (taking no responsibility) makes him horrible.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
May 15, 2017
202 posts
180 upvotes
That's hilariously terrible.

They'll never be too eager to fix their mistakes (time and money) - just stay on them because that is brutal and not caused by "settlement".
Jan 9, 2021
16 posts
4 upvotes
Builder suppose to be in charge for everything .
Are you a builder?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1146 posts
587 upvotes
GTA
I'm currently drywalling, mudding and taping in my garage. I've been quite good at recognizing shoddy work since I see my own quite often. Those pictures don't show settling drywall.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: the builder is not horrible, the tradesperson they contracted to do the mudding was horrible
True, the tradesperson is doing all the work but the builder does not do any quality control checks. Poor management skills and hires cheap trades people, hence terrible builder.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
Anyway I can prove this is not caused by settlement? This builder will always push back so I would like to get a better stance on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4236 posts
562 upvotes
Georgetown
I had a friend who's flat ceilings had issues on the tape lines (not nearly as bad as yours), and he got the builder to fix it. They had to sand, re-mud, re-paint, etc. to make it right. Your builder is hoping you will give up and go away... they probably deflect half of the complaints they get this way so it's worth trying. Just call BS on the guy and let him know you are a reasonable person who won't bring trivial items to them to fix, but obvious F-ups WILL be fixed and you aren't going away or willing to accept otherwise. When you get them to fix it, make sure you have inspected all of the walls and ceilings and get all issues dealt with at once.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1430 posts
979 upvotes
Brampton
Man that's crazy bad my 5 year old could do better.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1495 posts
1262 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm really bad at taping and mudding, but I'm not that bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1604 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
That's awful. Definitely not sure to settling. It looks like they put tape in the corner and just painted over it. The is no mud on-top of the tape
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4994 posts
1377 upvotes
Kitchener
That builder should not be in business if they look at it and can honestly say that its from settling. You're gonna have to get a drywall company in to get a professional assessment in writing.
May 15, 2017
202 posts
180 upvotes
NateTO3 wrote: Anyway I can prove this is not caused by settlement? This builder will always push back so I would like to get a better stance on it.
Have them come look at it with you and tell you with a straight face it is caused by settlement. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4843 posts
1377 upvotes
NateTO3 wrote: Anyway I can prove this is not caused by settlement? This builder will always push back so I would like to get a better stance on it.
Settlement = cracked drywall

Poor install = peeling

This is a 2-hour fix, max. Peel off the tape and redo it with some hot mud mixed with glue. 3 coats within an hour. Come back the next day, sand and paint.
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
Thanks for the response all! I will definitely push back and give the builder a hard time about this. It is totally unacceptable.

Just wait till I post about the shitty tile job they did in the bathroom...
Oct 2, 2018
500 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Worse tape job I have ever viewed, no question. To think someone is doing this type of quality for a living is really scary.