• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 7:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 15, 2019
384 posts
266 upvotes

Drywalling the perimeter of a new-construction home

Hey, everyone, I am looking for advice here.

My builder contacted me pre-construction and stated this: the existing Building Code applications produces homes being built extremely airtight which encourages condensation and high humidity levels in basements. Their normal insulation in the basement is to be done with Basement walls: – 15 lb. building paper, R-20 fiberglass blanket insulation to be above concrete slab– 6 mil. poly. The home comes with an HRV as well.

My plan down the road was to frame my basement and drywall it myself eventually, due to me reading numerous claims that you shouldn't do any work to your basement until the foundations have settled, like 2 years from construction. However, the builder is offering me this at an incredible price, its far cheaper than what I estimated my costs of framing, electrical, and drywalling would have been. The full perimeter of the basement walls would be insulated utilizing Rigid foam insulation covered with full stud wall construction and additionally insulated with batt insulation and finished with drywall, base coat finish as well as all electrical plugs to code.

Now my question is, if the price is very attractive is it a bad idea to do this in a new build?
7 replies
Nov 23, 2011
638 posts
656 upvotes
West GTA
If the price is that attractive, I would go forward with it.

If you did it after the two years from construction yourself, and then had a problem with the foundation within the 7 year Tarion foundation warranty, you'd be SOL on the basement finishing you did yourself.

I think if you have them do it, it would be on them to repair that, too, within the foundation warranty period. Could be mistaken, though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9463 posts
4901 upvotes
Paris
The price of building materials will only go up. My cousin bought a new construction home and finished the basement himself 7 years later. He said the cost of materials for DIY was more than the builder wanted to do it when he bought, and he regretted not doing it then.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4964 posts
1349 upvotes
Kitchener
Are they offering the framing with insulation or is it only the R20 blanket nailed to the concrete foundation?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1002 posts
568 upvotes
London, On
Just the perimeter walls? How about if you want other rooms down there, like a bedroom, bathroom, family room etc? How about the ceilings?
[OP]
Jul 15, 2019
384 posts
266 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: Are they offering the framing with insulation or is it only the R20 blanket nailed to the concrete foundation?
It's going to be
2”x4” at 24” on center framing, 2” R-10 foam insulation and R-12 batt insulation then they drywall.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2019
384 posts
266 upvotes
djeffery wrote: Just the perimeter walls? How about if you want other rooms down there, like a bedroom, bathroom, family room etc? How about the ceilings?
You can pay for other rooms downstairs as a finished basement upgrade, however, those prices to me far exceed the costs of the material and labour, I don't think it's too difficult to do inside walls myself. So at the moment it would just be the perimeter of the basement, and the ceiling left open.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2337 posts
783 upvotes
Mississauga
If it was me .. I would not finish a basement on a new build. I wound wait 3-5 yrs until all settling is done (all houses settle). During his time it will give me a chance to figure out how I want to layout the basement.

How much are you saving.. i dont think it will be much.. and you seem handy enough from what your saying to do it yourself. For now just make sure if you have a bath roughin it's in a spot you want.

Oh and read up on what's covered by Tarion .. they have specifics for water penetration etc.. major structural is very hard to get... for most part if you have a good builder they will fix stuff in the first year rather than involve Tarion ... but then after that good luck... (my wife used to work for a builder).