• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 1:43 pm
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1204 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Crappy situation! Sounds like they are stuck. Best to add more fiber to their diet to improve the situation.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1516 posts
1041 upvotes
Longueuil
Sad for them but one more reason why I don't regret having my own detached house... It is truly priceless!
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Nov 13, 2016
826 posts
454 upvotes
More like bad situation made worse by the condo management. Either they should have delayed the installation of these toilets to post Pandemic times and/or made the vendor responsible to provide more plungers for the condo as well as the residents to purchase as needed.

CD
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2267 posts
1606 upvotes
GTA
I didn't know that condo boards had control over toilet brands installed in units.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4588 posts
4015 upvotes
Toronto
Problem is 99% of condo buyers don't know that changing a toilet takes 15 minutes and a crescent wrench. Come into my unit and change my toilet out, 15 minutes later I have a TOTO sitting there again.

Sucks to own a condo.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
torontotim wrote: Problem is 99% of condo buyers don't know that changing a toilet takes 15 minutes and a crescent wrench. Come into my unit and change my toilet out, 15 minutes later I have a TOTO sitting there again.

Sucks to own a condo.
What I find more interesting is that which toilet people use is under the control of condo board. I thought anything on the other side of entry door was condo owner's responsibility. What next, condo board decides which vanity people use?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1516 posts
1041 upvotes
Longueuil
IndyBeak wrote: What I find more interesting is that which toilet people use is under the control of condo board. I thought anything on the other side of entry door was condo owner's responsibility. What next, condo board decides which vanity people use?
That was also my understanding. I would assume that since it is owned by the condo, any maintenance/repair/damage is their responsibility, that seems like a huge liability to me.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5044 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
The trick with these toilets is you have to flush twice, once when you unload and then again after you wipe. Guaranteed to have 90% less clogs!*

* not a guarantee
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
yeah weird... is that a rental-only building?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6032 posts
1193 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: yeah weird... is that a rental-only building?
Shittyplace is not a rental building. It's a project by Concord Adex, building on former CN rail yard in downtown Toronto.

While sitting in prime downtown location, the building quality is shotty at best. Judging by the pictures, it appears the toilet installed by builder is defective and had to be all replaced.

While I am not a fan of Mike Holmes, but one thing he said has a lot of point - do it right the first time.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14998 posts
11500 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Any RFD'er lives in there? Chime in!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4588 posts
4015 upvotes
Toronto
I can see why they would have some control over the toilet fixture, given they all connect to a common drainage system. I mean that's why there are building codes and plumbing standards, but there is so much variance within the standards that a mishmash of toilets all flowing into the same system could cause problems.

I think if I had to choose between owning a condo or moving to a city where I could afford a house, I'd be moving.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2306 posts
501 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I can see why they would have some control over the toilet fixture, given they all connect to a common drainage system. I mean that's why there are building codes and plumbing standards, but there is so much variance within the standards that a mishmash of toilets all flowing into the same system could cause problems.
Like different water running down a drain pipe? Do you ensure all toilets are of the same make and model within the house? Better regulate what the tenants eat too so there isn't too much variance in what they produce....
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4588 posts
4015 upvotes
Toronto
No, like different volumes of water / ratio of solid/liquid etc. Multiply by a few hundred or thousand toilets and simultaneous flushes etc., and it's no longer a simple thing. Comparing a house and a 50 story condo tower is pointless.