Cell Phones

Dual-Sim Vs VoLTE

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 5:36 pm

Poll: Which is more important, dual-sim or VoLTE?

• Total votes: 12. You have voted on this poll.
Dual-Sim

58%
VoLTE

0%
VoWiFi

8%
None of the above

25%
All of the above

8%
Carry two or more phones

0%
Something else (post comments in thread)

0%
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14236 posts
11999 upvotes
Not Leask

Dual-Sim Vs VoLTE

VoLTE and VoWiFi are carrier-driven features. Carriers don't supply nor support dual-sim devices. Granted, VoWiFi is easy to simulate (Hangouts dialler for outbound, Call Forward Busy/No Answer to a VoIP service such as Fongo). VoLTE is a luxury that may be a deal-breaker for some. Some of us on RFD rely on dual-sim for a plethora of potential benefits.

Most VoLTE devices across all carriers are iPhones. No dual-sim iPhones, but there are some adapters (don't know how well they work). Only Rogers/Fido AFAIK offers VoLTE on most Android's, but must be their inventory (meaning no dice on dual-sim).

Now opening the discussion to RFD members to discuss which is more important to them and feel free to share any reasons for this. Maybe one day we'll have it all (dual-sim VoLTE phones).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
Dual sim by far. Reasons as follow:
  • Unlike what you implied. VoLTE and dual sim is not mutually exclusive. Like for example, LG V20 Twainese H990DS support both Dual sim and VoLTE. I have it myself. The only limitation is that you can't get it from the vendor.
  • As you said, VoLTE can be simulated by other software. It is really just Voip with vendor specific support. There is nothing particularly special about them.
PS: Those adapters are not dual sim adapter, it really just let you use one sim at a time with a bit of a hassle. Unless you are talking about the external device, but those are costly and quite a bit of hassle.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14236 posts
11999 upvotes
Not Leask
ID01 wrote: Dual sim by far. Reasons as follow:
  • Unlike what you implied. VoLTE and dual sim is not mutually exclusive. Like for example, LG V20 Twainese H990DS support both Dual sim and VoLTE. I have it myself. The only limitation is that you can't get it from the vendor.
  • As you said, VoLTE can be simulated by other software. It is really just Voip with vendor specific support. There is nothing particularly special about them.
PS: Those adapters are not dual sim adapter, it really just let you use one sim at a time with a bit of a hassle. Unless you are talking about the external device, but those are costly and quite a bit of hassle.
Is your LG V20 Taiwanese variant is compatible with VoLTE with the carriers here? The device may support VoLTE, but it might not be compatible with the carrier's VoLTE.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1876 posts
1026 upvotes
What is up with these poll questions... lol

I voted for dual-sim being important to me, maybe I have no need for VoLTE/VoWiFi atm.
Same goes for visual voicemail. (off-topic)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
titaniumtux wrote: Is your LG V20 Taiwanese variant is compatible with VoLTE with the carriers here? The device may support VoLTE, but it might not be compatible with the carrier's VoLTE.
I can confirm VoLTE works with Roger or Fido. Have not tried other carrier.