3.25% HISA 3 Months, ON only

Deal Link:
Savings:
+1.75%
Expiry:
December 3, 2018
Retailer:
DUCA
Guys the HISA promo in park account at DUCA is back!

Edit: direct link to offer here.

Official DUCA thread here.

Three months of 3.25% interest, on until December 3rd 2018. Highest interest promo rate I've seen at DUCA so far.

As always, please no soliciting referrals in thread.

Here's the breakdown:
  • Ontarian CU. If you're not a member yet, application will incur a hard pull. You'll snap a $1 chq to your name for a $1 member share. DUCA will link that chq account for me to me transfers.
  • You'll need Ontarian address on your credit history with the bureaus. If the bureaus hiccup non-matching info on the application, DUCA might ask you to submit proof of address. Note that it's against forum rules to discuss the use of using a fake address.
  • Branches in GTA only, but online application open to all ON residents.
  • Register via DuGood and get $50, referrer gets $20, another $50 goes to the charity of your choice
  • Tangerine me to me via micro-deposits can dump funds directly into park account
  • If you jumped on the $100/$1k minimum balance promo with Meridian, DUCA's where you'll want to move that $1k once Meridian deposits your $100
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
26 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1390 posts
192 upvotes
Is there a hard credit check for opening an account?
Jan 23, 2018
296 posts
358 upvotes
titaniumtux said:

Here's the breakdown:

Ontarian CU. If you're not a member yet, application will incur a hard pull. You'll snap a $1 chq to your name for a $1 member share. DUCA will link that chq account for me to me transfers.
You'll need Ontarian address on your credit history with the bureaus. If the bureaus hiccup non-matching info on the application, DUCA might ask you to submit proof of address. Note that it's against forum rules to discuss the use of using a fake address.
Branches in GTA only, but online application open to all ON residents.
Register via DuGood and get $50, referrer gets $20, another $50 goes to the charity of your choice

This is a nice bump from the 2.50% I'm getting now
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1549 posts
1735 upvotes
Halifax
threadhead wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 6:28 am
titaniumtux said:

Here's the breakdown:

Ontarian CU. If you're not a member yet, application will incur a hard pull. You'll snap a $1 chq to your name for a $1 member share. DUCA will link that chq account for me to me transfers.
You'll need Ontarian address on your credit history with the bureaus. If the bureaus hiccup non-matching info on the application, DUCA might ask you to submit proof of address. Note that it's against forum rules to discuss the use of using a fake address.
Branches in GTA only, but online application open to all ON residents.
Register via DuGood and get $50, referrer gets $20, another $50 goes to the charity of your choice

This is a nice bump from the 2.50% I'm getting now
That's all fine and dandy, but is there a hard check for opening an account?

I am from Halifax. Do I qualify?

Thanks!
Jan 23, 2018
296 posts
358 upvotes
tdracer wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:42 am
That's all fine and dandy, but is there a hard check for opening an account?

I am from Halifax. Do I qualify?

Thanks!
1. FYI a "hard pull" IS a credit check. And the answer is yes, you have to agree to a credit check when you apply. However, YMMV because they may not actually do it (e.g. they never pulled mine when I opened my account back in 2017).

2. DUCA bylaws now formally state that new members have to be Ontario resident (existing accounts were grandfathered). Having said that, after the bylaw change, some non-qualifying people claimed to have been able to present themselves as Ontario residents in order to sidestep the requirement (e.g. using a relative's address), hence the OP's remark about having an Ontario address on your credit history.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1549 posts
1735 upvotes
Halifax
threadhead wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 8:07 am
1. FYI a "hard pull" IS a credit check. And the answer is yes, you have to agree to a credit check when you apply. However, YMMV because they may not actually do it (e.g. they never pulled mine when I opened my account back in 2017).

2. DUCA bylaws now formally state that new members have to be Ontario resident (existing accounts were grandfathered). Having said that, after the bylaw change, some non-qualifying people claimed to have been able to present themselves as Ontario residents in order to sidestep the requirement (e.g. using a relative's address), hence the OP's remark about having an Ontario address on your credit history.
Thanks, my bad really, I guess I should just read the OP in the first place..... or put /s
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
111 posts
46 upvotes
Do you have to do it in branch to get the 3.25 % ? Or can you open it online & still get the 3.25 % ?

I thought it says only branch staff has access to this promo or can I access it or something. I was a bit confused.
Jan 20, 2011
111 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get how a +1.75 rate for 3 months is supposed to be enticing
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings
Jan 23, 2018
296 posts
358 upvotes
stniagara wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 10:35 am
Do you have to do it in branch to get the 3.25 % ? Or can you open it online & still get the 3.25 % ?

I thought it says only branch staff has access to this promo or can I access it or something. I was a bit confused.
Agreed that it is a bit confusing (I went through the same learning curve last year) but online applications are fine. Once your account is open, you can electronically pull funds in from the account you used to open it with, or from any other account if you submit the appropriate PAD.

What is VERY IMPORTANT however is that after you see the funds are in your account online, you need to phone the member line and ask the rep to transfer your deposit into your so-called "Park Account" in order to get the promotional rate -- otherwise you will only earn the regular 1.50%. Don't worry about making the call, they're not going to try to pedal you something you don't want, it's just their way of doing business, and I suspect also of internally verifying by human oversight that it's new money coming in since only new money qualifies for the premium rate.
Jan 23, 2018
296 posts
358 upvotes
TwistedKestrel wrote:
The 1.75% is on top of the regular 1.50% savings rate = 3.25% for the duration of the promotion -- see also post #9
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
111 posts
46 upvotes
So when you open an account - 2 accounts will be opened? As a new customer I mean.

1 regular savings account with 1.5 % rate and 1 promo savings account with 3.25 % promo rate?

Then you have to call in to transfer money from the regular savings account to the promo parked account?

Can both these accounts be directly linked to an external account like Tangerine? Or the promo parked account can not be directly linked to an external account?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1891 posts
306 upvotes
Can an existing member get this promo or is this only for new members?

Edit, seems the answer is yes

Note: To take advantage of this offer, new Members can apply by clicking the link below. Existing Members must visit their branch (link below) or call 1.866.900.3822 as this offer is not available through online transfers.
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
111 posts
46 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 12:55 pm
Can an existing member get this promo or is this only for new members?
Yes but only net new funds and deposits will get the promo rate. Existing funds will not get the promo rate.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11161 posts
7721 upvotes
South Pole
TwistedKestrel wrote:
threadhead wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 11:09 am
The 1.75% is on top of the regular 1.50% savings rate = 3.25% for the duration of the promotion -- see also post #9
This. Say you have at least a few k sitting in your savings account, you can move it to DUCA and earn more interest than anywhere else. Much better than EQ's 2.3%, although it's only for three months. DUCA seems to offer these promo's 1-2 times per year, so it's worth keeping them around.
stniagara wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 12:21 pm
So when you open an account - 2 accounts will be opened? As a new customer I mean.

1 regular savings account with 1.5 % rate and 1 promo savings account with 3.25 % promo rate?

Then you have to call in to transfer money from the regular savings account to the promo parked account?

Can both these accounts be directly linked to an external account like Tangerine? Or the promo parked account can not be directly linked to an external account?
  1. you get three savings accounts. Park is the promo one.
  2. Yes
  3. Even park can be linked to Tang

See link to official thread for DUCA in OP for more info.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jan 20, 2011
111 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 1:51 pm
This. Say you have at least a few k sitting in your savings account, you can move it to DUCA and earn more interest than anywhere else. Much better than EQ's 2.3%, although it's only for three months. DUCA seems to offer these promo's 1-2 times per year, so it's worth keeping them around.
This would yield only an extra $4.30 for every $1K over the three months...
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings