• Jun 11th, 2020 10:00 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
255 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto

Ducati Buyers Beware: My 2014 899 Panigale Odometer Rolled Back for Sale

Hi RFD,

A warning for future Ducati buyers, a fellow subscriber alerted me to my old 2014 Ducati 899 Panigale which I sold which at the time had 25,000KM on it now is on sale for 10,000KM. Please share this warning to anyone you know who may be looking to buy a Panigale and save an unsuspecting buyer from being scammed. I also prove without question, this was my old bike, which in my previous video's was clearly stated to have 25,000KM on it. Even if this has a 1% chance of saving someone, I am glad I put it out there. It is a shame, because it is a beautiful bike which has now been tampered with :(

This bike is listed here as for sale in Markham, I have reported the listing. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/mar ... ?undefined

UPDATE: He removed the ad on Kijiji and Facebook and reposted it AGAIN now stating 20,000km

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/mar ... pp_android

2014 Ducati Supersport
Markham, ON · over a week ago ·
$12,000

About This Vehicle
Driven 10,000 km
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Red

Seller Information
Janushan (JAY) Tharmalingam (TSN Auto Care Inc / HH5L Auto Centre)
Joined Facebook in 2010

Seller's Description
About the bike :
Immaculate condition .
Stored in Auto Shop all of winter .
10/10 Condition
Brand new battery
Black windshield screen
Roughly 10,000KM
Custom exhaust

Looking for 12,000$ FIRM .

Serious Inquires only .

No trades .

Call or text [hidden information]
VIN:
[ ] ZDM14BUW3EB020519

Proof Video:

Proof Picture: Proof is across all my videos on the bike, though good point you make. Here is an attached photo from July 2nd 2017 showing 17,974KM on my motorcycle clearly marked.
https://imgur.com/a/EEawHcK

More Proof: Proof of the carfax he sent to a buyer who contacted me & my proof of insurance with the VIN: https://imgur.com/a/dUqmte8
I repeat, This is a screenshot of the carfax a buyer sent me, which is falsified. It does not include any of my history. I have attached proof of my insurance confirmation with the VIN attached.

Update 4: The seller is telling me he is going to call the police. Looks like I am one step ahead of him. Will be filing a report today with the police and OMVIC. How sad is this...
Capture1.PNG

Update 5:
Last edited by Sonduren on Jun 4th, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
80 replies
Aug 5, 2012
653 posts
468 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Thanks for being consiously dutiful. Can any other fellow RFDers shed light on how this low life scammer selling the bike should be dealt with. Maybe call out the scammer virally. His phone number is available on his Facebook page.
"You have more chances of getting hit by a lightning or getting eaten by a shark than actually winning a lottery"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36095 posts
10190 upvotes
Ottawa
Odometer rollbacks have been pat of the used vehicle sales business for almost a century.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are bikes not sold with a UVIP just like cars? If so the mileage reporting would be inconsistent with the stated mileage on the odometer unless the previous owner/s misreported as well...
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
255 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Are bikes not sold with a UVIP just like cars? If so the mileage reporting would be inconsistent with the stated mileage on the odometer unless the previous owner/s misreported as well...
This is correct. The important thing is many sellers will try to sell the motorcycle by sharing a carfax or similar without providing a UVIP, telling the buyers to "get it when you register the bike" aka when it's to late and the transaction is done.
Please make sure to always ask for the IN HAND PAPER COPY OF THE UVIP.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BeaverLiquor wrote: So wouldn't it be more useful posting the VIN instead of a click bait video?
This. Once someone searches for the VIN this thread will come up instead of a click bait video LOL
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36095 posts
10190 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: Are bikes not sold with a UVIP just like cars? If so the mileage reporting would be inconsistent with the stated mileage on the odometer unless the previous owner/s misreported as well...
Also, when you register the bike, is the last registration mileage not on there like it is for cars?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 19, 2015
270 posts
256 upvotes
North York, ON
@Sonduren you can post the last 6-8 digits of the VIN.

The odds of another red '14 Ducati 899 Panigale with the same last 6 digits of the VIN as yours is highly improbable, and is likely your bike.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
255 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Squirtle wrote: @Sonduren you can post the last 6-8 digits of the VIN.

The odds of another red '14 Ducati 899 Panigale with the same last 6 digits of the VIN as yours is highly improbable, and is likely your bike.

The last 3 digits of the VIN are : 519
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3133 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto

Copied and Pasted:
2014 Ducati Supersport
Markham, ON · over a week ago ·
$12,000

About This Vehicle
Driven 10,000 km
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Red

Seller Information
Janushan (JAY) Tharmalingam (TSN Auto Care Inc / HH5L Auto Centre)
Joined Facebook in 2010

Seller's Description
About the bike :
Immaculate condition .
Stored in Auto Shop all of winter .
10/10 Condition
Brand new battery
Black windshield screen
Roughly 10,000KM
Custom exhaust

Looking for 12,000$ FIRM .

Serious Inquires only .

No trades .

Call or text [hidden information]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
Sonduren wrote: The last 3 digits of the VIN are : 519
Why not post the whole VIN? It's publicly visible anyways.
Also, shouldn't Carfax also show the mileage?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: Why not post the whole VIN? It's publicly visible anyways.
Yup I’m really not understanding this cloak and dagger. It’s like some half ass warning. Beware of this bike, and look for the last 3 digits and it should be the one LOLOL
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
255 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Why not post the whole VIN? It's publicly visible anyways.
Full Vin: ZDM14BUW3EB020519
Carfax or other PDFs are also dangerous and can be edited in post production. Make sure you get paper UVIP to confirm. Also added to original post.
Mar 22, 2020
43 posts
44 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
Could try calling him. Phone number listed is 289-221-5147
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
Sonduren wrote: Full Vin: ZDM14BUW3EB020519
Carfax or other PDFs are also dangerous and can be edited in post production. Make sure you get paper UVIP to confirm. Also added to original post.
Yea, always better to buy your own carfax report.