• Sep 21st, 2020 10:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
72 upvotes

Duck/Goose Fat

Does anyone know of a good/cheap retailer for either duck/goose fat in the GTA? I'm planning on using it for confit pork belly and would need a large quantity of it.

I know the Healthy Butcher, Cumbraes, and SLM sell it. But they all cost an arm and a leg, especially for the amount I need.

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
The pork belly will itself produce a lot of rendered fat.
You could render duck fat from a bird purchased in a Chinese market, such as T&T or Soon Lee, for $12 or less.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2960 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I've bought duck fat from SLM and at $5-$6 for 200g, it's going to take at least 4-5 of them to cover a pork belly. Maybe more.

Jayt has a good point because a whole duck is less than $10 and you can use the rest of the duck.

I don't know how much fat you can render out of a single duck....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
0xffff wrote: I've bought duck fat from SLM and at $5-$6 for 200g, it's going to take at least 4-5 of them to cover a pork belly. Maybe more.

Jayt has a good point because a whole duck is less than $10 and you can use the rest of the duck.

I don't know how much fat you can render out of a single duck....
While I don't what Asagiri's recipe states, my first thought was to buy three pork belly slabs at Soon Lee or similar high volume Asian grocer, (they are $5 each,) and render excess fat from two of them,(cutting off the fat and skin), reserving the other, and the trimmed meat, for the confit. It seems simpler than adding duck fat into the mix, and the result is the same: the fat goes to the top, as a sealer; the meat, and gelatinous stock are below and create their own seaparate flavor.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
72 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: While I don't what Asagiri's recipe states, my first thought was to buy three pork belly slabs at Soon Lee or similar high volume Asian grocer, (they are $5 each,) and render excess fat from two of them,(cutting off the fat and skin), reserving the other, and the trimmed meat, for the confit. It seems simpler than adding duck fat into the mix, and the result is the same: the fat goes to the top, as a sealer; the meat, and gelatinous stock are below and create their own seaparate flavor.
This is the recipe I plan on trying:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9844 ... -apple-vel

I've thought about rendering my own duck, and it would be cheaper cost/utility wise. But the amount of duck I'd have to roast/eat would be HUGE!!! Rendering a whole duck will produce about 200-300ml of fat, depending upon the size of the bird and whether or not you plan on eating the carcass afterward.

And using pork fat as a substitute isn't really an option for me. Even though it does the same job, you just don't get that nice rich creamy flavor you'd get from duck/goose fat.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Asagiri wrote: This is the recipe I plan on trying:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9844 ... -apple-vel

I've thought about rendering my own duck, and it would be cheaper cost/utility wise. But the amount of duck I'd have to roast/eat would be HUGE!!! Rendering a whole duck will produce about 200-300ml of fat, depending upon the size of the bird and whether or not you plan on eating the carcass afterward.

And using pork fat as a substitute isn't really an option for me. Even though it does the same job, you just don't get that nice rich creamy flavor you'd get from duck/goose fat.
OK, Wolfert agrees, so pork fat is out :)
You could save fat from a duck a week (T&T sells the best tasting ones, from Brome Lake, Quebec for less than any other place).
Or stretch your duck fat with sunflower oil, as Ramsay suggests.

But here is an idea that may work: The really friendly lady at the counter of Ho Ho BBQ, 3833 Midland Av., (the chef's wife) might possibly sell you some duck fat from their daily roast. I don't think they are using it for their side dishes.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
72 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: OK, Wolfert agrees, so pork fat is out :)
who/what is Wolfert?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6254 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking for something else but stumbled on this, you can use olive oil since it is low heat you will be cooking with that is what most pro kitchens do and render the fat of a whole duck which is what you will normally do anyway and combine both.
Apr 20, 2009
143 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
bump this tread

I am looking for rendered goose or maybe duck fat in Ottawa / online

Any thoughts?
thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
RCSS sells King Cole duck fat, at least all the way out west.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
This is why i always eat duck. @ least once a month. Then hoard the skin & fat trimmings.
Its a pretty versatile meat.

One way i eat it... is a Vietnamese noodle soup style. You boil the entire duck for about 40 minutes. Let that soup sit over night. Then scrap off all the fat on top and save it. Add Bamboo shoots To the soup.. Carve the duck with thin slices... the meat is dipped in a mix of lemon juice, fish sauce, ginger & chili.
Vermacili is used in the noodle soup.

This method creates a lot of duck fat because you boil the entire duck. You extract fat from all the skin that your normally wouldnt trim off for a traditional roast.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
FYI...if you have sous vide machine. Have you considered sous viding - you don't need much duck/goose fat. I now do my confit duck legs this way.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!