duct cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 8:40 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2018
237 posts
123 upvotes

duct cleaning

thinking about doing this, what do you rdf'ers think and who do you recommend?

I'm in Cambridge.
Last edited by rustyone on Aug 31st, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9983 posts
4269 upvotes
Vaughan
Some people prefer to do it 5 years. Personally I do it every 15 years. It depends you have pets, carpet, asthma, or dust alergy. I have none of those. It should be done after renovation. When was the last time you did it?

By the way, you should put your location.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Post your phone number. I’ll get the first one that calls me during dinner tomorrow despite being on the do not call list your number and get them to call you
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2116 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
With the amount of unsolicited calls we all receive this must be a booming business.

I never see any trucks around my neighborhood doing this kind of service.

Seeing the size of house ducts I never seen the benefit myself, I am seeing perhaps for dust or pet hair however filter should get most of that. I can see however after 20 or more years buildup of dust and pet hair to people sensitive to that, for my place however have never done and not answering any of those random solicitations.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3021 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
mapleleaf6 wrote: how often do you guys do dryer duct cleaning?
This one is important because of the fire risk. Our LG dryer tells us when it is clogging and time to clean it. About 2 to 3 year interval.
Feb 20, 2019
314 posts
106 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote: This one is important because of the fire risk. Our LG dryer tells us when it is clogging and time to clean it. About 2 to 3 year interval.
Ours is older and we just moved to a house, so not sure when was the last time it was done. luckily the hose is not very long so its shouldnt be that hard. Guess its long weekend project

do you guys take of the hose and clean it or use some tools from HD?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3021 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
mapleleaf6 wrote: Ours is older and we just moved to a house, so not sure when was the last time it was done. luckily the hose is not very long so its shouldnt be that hard. Guess its long weekend project

do you guys take of the hose and clean it or use some tools from HD?
Took mine off and used this.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/procle ... 1000773016
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
mapleleaf6 wrote: how often do you guys do dryer duct cleaning?
Once in a while when the dryer is running, I go outside and make sure the vanes on the dryer outlet are open and that there is a good airflow coming out of it. That is an easy check and should identify any major constriction in the pipe.

Other than that, I look in the pipe at the dryer end whenever I feel a need to clean the floor under the dryer and I have to remove the pipe anyway. I have done that several times in 10 years but never found anything major.

The biggest problem I have is that my wife tends to forget to clean the dryer screen.
Jul 14, 2006
720 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Alternative option:
I got mine off ebay for half the price (with coupons at the time) and it arrived in 2 weeks for those who aren't in a rush.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/174348747621?

I hate the premium we have to pay in Canada for cheap tools like these.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2569 posts
2524 upvotes
Ottawa
I generally agree on regular duct cleaning not being required, but consider it worthwhile to clean them if you're new to the house or have done some extensive reno work. You don't know what special presents the previous owner left in the ducts. My friend's toddler took a crap in one of their registers and we found an entire meal's worth of dried up KD in our last house's duct work, so...

But make sure the company is NADCA certified and provides before and after pictures as proof of the work they performed.

I disagree on the article's recommendation to get a "higher quality furnace filter", though. Your furnace filter is to keep major debris out of the furnace, not to filter your air. Putting in a restrictive air filter can do more harm to your furnace than good, as it reduces air flow, causing the blower to work harder to keep up. Anything above a MERV 8 actually causes our furnace to hit the high temp limit and power cycle if stage 2 fires for more than a few minutes, or if stage 1 is running for longer than about 20. I run a MERV 6 and change it every 200 operating hours.

If you want to filter your air, get something designed to filter your air. The furnace isn't the right place to do that.
Jun 23, 2019
539 posts
394 upvotes
Is it possible to get ducts cleaned in a finished basement with drywall ceilings?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)