Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill

Ductless AC in Condo

My 30 year old condo faces west and we're getting the full blast of the sun by mid-day. In this type of heat our fancoil system is failing to keep up.

I've considered and discarded window ac or portable ac.

Has anyone any experience in a ductless system in a condo? I have a large balcony where the compressor can easily sit. Ideally I would have three systems (master bedroom, living room, and 2nd bedroom).

Putting aside conversation about condo approvals, any tips or experience about this process? I'm aware I would need holes in the walls to route the tubes through, and I'm curious how this might be done with condo walls.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Do you have blackout curtains? If not then get some, they make a hell of a difference.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
Yup I do. Any ductless experience in a condo?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
If the walls are stick framed you would have to likely route the line set and drain hose through an opening off of the balcony and then run that thru the walls to the master and spare bedroom. You have to consider the drain requirements of the head unit with requires fall all the way from the inside head units to the balcony where it would exit the water. You would have to use line set covers to hide the line set that run exposed in the interior. Might not be pretty.

Each head unit would require a separate line set and drain. You likely would require a dedicated electrical line, at least 12/2 from your fuse box to the unit itself as most are 220v... So then you have to figure out how an electrician would fish wire to the outside like that and if the box in the unit will allow for it. Plus I'm not sure if they'd have to pull a permit.

Even if the stars line up, it would be a difficult install.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
cartfan123 wrote: If the walls are stick framed you would have to likely route the line set and drain hose through an opening off of the balcony and then run that thru the walls to the master and spare bedroom. You have to consider the drain requirements of the head unit with requires fall all the way from the inside head units to the balcony where it would exit the water. You would have to use line set covers to hide the line set that run exposed in the interior. Might not be pretty.

Each head unit would require a separate line set and drain. You likely would require a dedicated electrical line, at least 12/2 from your fuse box to the unit itself as most are 220v... So then you have to figure out how an electrician would fish wire to the outside like that and if the box in the unit will allow for it. Plus I'm not sure if they'd have to pull a permit.

Even if the stars line up, it would be a difficult install.
Thank you! Exactly what I needed to know.
May 22, 2009
58 posts
18 upvotes
Capital City
This seems like the kind of thing which will be necessary for thousands of condo units across the country, so if installers, municipality and condo boards aren't on board, they're going to need to get their way there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)