• Jan 21st, 2020 1:17 pm
[OP]
Apr 19, 2012
250 posts
50 upvotes
GTA

Ductless mini split for cottage

Hi all,

We are looking into cooling and heating options for our cottage. It's a small rectangular bungalow that has a 400sqft open area on the front and 3 bedrooms totaling another 300sqft on the back.

We are thinking of going with SENL-12CD which is onsale at ebay for $800 right now. I have family members who can do most of the installation themselves (minus the vac part).

Does anyone have experience with these? Is the sizing I'm going with and cooling/heating capabilities suitable for our climate? The reviews are very good online. For heating we also have a supplementary wood fireplace if required.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9133 posts
10547 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
They are good units, and excellent bang for the buck these Senville heat pumps. Very cost effective way of introducing some amount of a/c into a cottage.

But I will caution you if the head unit is in the open area at the front, the back bedroom will receive little cooling in the summer. And all the rooms will still have to have base board heaters as back up / supplemental heat (which I assume it already has).

It also tends to be cheaper to put two separate outside/indoor units if you wanted cooling for both areas. If you look at the prices for the multiple head units. If sticking with a single you may consider bumping up to the 18000 btu unit.

Also you have selected the non-cold climate version which runs ok down to about 10 deg or so for heat. But as it is a cottage if you don’t use it year round the additional outlay for the cold climate versions (HF) is probably not justified. If year round consider the HF version then.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10853 posts
6119 upvotes
Paris
I installed a cold weather version of these in the summer and had someone else Vac it. Go with the colder weather version.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2012
250 posts
50 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I installed a cold weather version of these in the summer and had someone else Vac it. Go with the colder weather version.
Thanks, I realized after my post that I'd require the cold weather version... The cottage is 4 season and has a wood fire place so between the 2 should keep it cozy.

Any recommendations on the unit size? How large of a unit/area is yours doing? Do you recall what the labor costs were for the vac service?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3699 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
For a cottage, you might consider propane for heat (and water heater, gas stove).

We're off grid with solar, so no choice but to use propane, but even if we were on the grid, I'd be looking at propane heaters. I know electric heat is basically 100% efficient, and no local CO produced etc, but costs in cottage country are usually pretty high relative to urban centers.

I've never had AC at a cottage, and thankfully ours is situated such that we get a cool breeze flowing through it in the evenings with water on both sides and good window placement for air flow. It's rare we don't use a blanket even in July/August.

For the bedrooms, you might need individual portable AC units to really be effective.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10853 posts
6119 upvotes
Paris
notsureofitiall wrote: Thanks, I realized after my post that I'd require the cold weather version... The cottage is 4 season and has a wood fire place so between the 2 should keep it cozy.

Any recommendations on the unit size? How large of a unit/area is yours doing? Do you recall what the labor costs were for the vac service?
We did 12k in a 250 square foot room and it was perfect. We hired a guy to vac for $150. Someone else on here bought a pump and gauges and I think I’ll go that route to do 2 rooms at our cottage. Will be tough to get anyone out up there.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2012
250 posts
50 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: We did 12k in a 250 square foot room and it was perfect. We hired a guy to vac for $150. Someone else on here bought a pump and gauges and I think I’ll go that route to do 2 rooms at our cottage. Will be tough to get anyone out up there.
Any specific reason you went so big? According to the specs you could have gone with the 9k btu unit...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10853 posts
6119 upvotes
Paris
notsureofitiall wrote: Any specific reason you went so big? According to the specs you could have gone with the 9k btu unit...
Cathedral ceiling. 14 feet in the middle.