• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 12:12 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2012
111 posts
31 upvotes
TORONTO

Ductless split system air conditioner [GTA]

I live in an old house and I can't deal with the summer heat any longer. I have been just using multiple fans and one window air conditioner but it forces my family to be in small space to feel the AC. I have been thinking of finding a company that can install a ductless system as my house is old but I don't know any companies that give a good price and service. Can anyone recommend someone who does it for a good price so that I won't be ripped off as most companies I called they like oversell trying to get my money and I can't deal with that anymore.
Last edited by RFXDeal on Jul 9th, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
RFXDeal wrote: I live in an old house and I can't deal with the summer heat any longer. I have been just using multiple fans and one window air conditioner but it forces my family to be in small space to feel the AC. I have been thinking of finding a company that can install a ductless system as my house is old but I don't know any companies that give a good price and service. Can anyone recommend someone who does it for a good price so that I won't be ripped off as most companies I called they like oversell trying to get my money and I can't deal with that anymore.
Since I don't know were you are from, and RFD'ers comes not only from Toronto, but from all across Canada, I'd recommend Excel Climatisation, in Longueuil. Bought a Toshiba-Carrier wall heat pump, very satisfied with the service provided and the product itself.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
Have you tried to get quotes on a home AC? Assuming you have a forced air furnace and not some other system?

RFXDeal wrote: I live in an old house and I can't deal with the summer heat any longer. I have been just using multiple fans and one window air conditioner but it forces my family to be in small space to feel the AC. I have been thinking of finding a company that can install a ductless system as my house is old but I don't know any companies that give a good price and service. Can anyone recommend someone who does it for a good price so that I won't be ripped off as most companies I called they like oversell trying to get my money and I can't deal with that anymore.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2012
111 posts
31 upvotes
TORONTO
sickcars wrote: Have you tried to get quotes on a home AC? Assuming you have a forced air furnace and not some other system?
The house doesn't have forced air furnace.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
Ahh ok, thats unfortunate. Not sure if you have looked into quotes to get it done BUT you may want to this way you can compare. If its only a few extra thousand to have full home AC & heat in the winter, it may be worth it. But everybody's situation/home is different.
RFXDeal wrote: The house doesn't have forced air furnace.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Also, don't forget that the worst time to shop air conditionné unités is during the summer, and especially when a heat wave occurs... If they have any stock prices will be $$$, and install date can be as far as the end of the summer
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2597 posts
536 upvotes
Kitchener
These can be pricy depending on how many heads you need and the size of home. You could be between $7,000-$15,000
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
sickcars wrote: Ahh ok, thats unfortunate. Not sure if you have looked into quotes to get it done BUT you may want to this way you can compare. If its only a few extra thousand to have full home AC & heat in the winter, it may be worth it. But everybody's situation/home is different.
I doubt that it would only be a few thousands dollars to open the walls, run the ducts system, and everything... A ductless split systeme is the es3t to go in an old house without ducts. I run mine all year long since 8 years. Turn it off when temp reaches below -20 to - 25
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Double_J wrote: These can be pricy depending on how many heads you need and the size of home. You could be between $7,000-$15,000
Paid $3.5K 7 or 8 years ago, 18K BTU unit, one head, everything included
[OP]
Mar 16, 2012
111 posts
31 upvotes
TORONTO
DoorCrasher wrote: Also, don't forget that the worst time to shop air conditionné unités is during the summer, and especially when a heat wave occurs... If they have any stock prices will be $$$, and install date can be as far as the end of the summer
Every summer, I have been mostly out during the day and come home late at night so it was bearable. However this summer, with COVID, I'm stuck at home and one window AC doesn't seem to be enough to keep cool. I'm debating if I should just buy more window ACs (just I find them noisy) or just get a ductless system or go with sickcars's idea of getting ducts installed for a Central Air Conditioner. But I have no idea, what are the reasonable prices so I that I know that I'm not getting ripped off.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
Just making an example I dont actually know the price of doing it. But getting quotes for each would not be a bad idea because if its nothing crazy it may be worth the extra work.
DoorCrasher wrote: I doubt that it would only be a few thousands dollars to open the walls, run the ducts system, and everything... A ductless split systeme is the es3t to go in an old house without ducts. I run mine all year long since 8 years. Turn it off when temp reaches below -20 to - 25
[OP]
Mar 16, 2012
111 posts
31 upvotes
TORONTO
DoorCrasher wrote: Paid $3.5K 7 or 8 years ago, 18K BTU unit, one head, everything included
Is that from "Excel Climatisation" do you know if they have something in the GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Double_J wrote: Good price but a long time ago. I used to get gas for 49 cents a litre.
Yes,.long time ago. I hope.prices are not 2X to 3X what I paid 8 years ago like you suggested
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
RFXDeal wrote: Is that from "Excel Climatisation" do you know if they have something in the GTA?
I guess not. Did not know you were from GTA, you updated title afterward Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
sickcars wrote: Just making an example I dont actually know the price of doing it. But getting quotes for each would not be a bad idea because if its nothing crazy it may be worth the extra work.
Maybe. But so far I am happy with my split ductless unit. I guess to each their own!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2597 posts
536 upvotes
Kitchener
DoorCrasher wrote: Yes,.long time ago. I hope.prices are not 2X to 3X what I paid 8 years ago like you suggested
I work in HVAC and I'd be uncomfortable paying that little personally. Having said that was your install a re/re or did they cut the wall for a new installation?
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Mar 25, 2002
694 posts
131 upvotes
Recently I installed 5 ductless Mitsubishi units which are also heatpumps. I bought the recessed models that go between the floor joists so they are mostly hidden.

I paid 17k, I did receive some quotes as high as 25k. You can get much cheaper brands, and units that go on the wall instead of hidden to save costs, however I bet you're looking at 10k minimum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8039 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Double_J wrote: I work in HVAC and I'd be uncomfortable paying that little personally. Having said that was your install a re/re or did they cut the wall for a new installation?
Pay this Little? There was cheaper than this, for lower end units.

If you work in HVAC you should know that there is no wall cutting required ... Just a hole in the wall to plug the condenser (inside unit) to the outsider unit. And few holes in the bassement ceiling to to pull the electric cable from the main breaker panel to the outside breaker box
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4554 posts
4990 upvotes
Isn't the biggest pain in the rear with these systems the need to run a new electrical line from the panel? With a finished basement, as an example, this is a big freaking nightmare, no?

I've always wanted one installed in my garage...
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)