• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2022 11:27 am
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1001 posts
373 upvotes
Calgary

Dumb phone (NON smartphone) for a teenager - NO Apps capability

What old school dumb phone to go for a teenager? The phone will be used as contact with parents with absolutely no way of installing Apps, especially the social media ones. It must be basic for calling and occasional texting only.

It must work with Shaw / Freedom Mobile.

USB-C charging is preferred because everyone in the house uses USB-C.

Thank you.
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1894 posts
1584 upvotes
Québec
That's hard to find now.
I guess you should go with Nokia dumbphone, some models support 4G.

You could aslo check for a used phoned like the Sonim rugged phone.
Last edited by elgros4 on Mar 9th, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Walkie talkie
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1580 upvotes
Etobicoke
hate to be that teen
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Look for a Blackberry 10 phone. That’s your best bet as it fits your requirements and it’s well built so it will sustain abuse.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Solsearchin1 wrote: Look for a Blackberry 10 phone. That’s your best bet as it fits your requirements and it’s well built so it will sustain abuse.
That one won't even make calls anymore.
Feb 5, 2019
44 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The ZTE Cymbal 2 is a modern device and connects to all of the 4G LTE networks in Canada, including the Shaw/Freedom network. It's an old-style flip phone with no apps or social media capabilities. It's available at most carriers (including Shaw and Freedom Mobile) for under $100 upfront.

Unfortunately, it does use the older micro-USB connector. I've looked at a few other late model dumbphones (including the Alcatel FLIP3) that support modern 4G LTE networks, but I can't find one that has a USB-C connector.

I hope this helps.
-Stephen

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1001 posts
373 upvotes
Calgary
theMediaman wrote: The ZTE Cymbal 2 is a modern device and connects to all of the 4G LTE networks in Canada, including the Shaw/Freedom network. It's an old-style flip phone with no apps or social media capabilities. It's available at most carriers (including Shaw and Freedom Mobile) for under $100 upfront.
Thank you, this will do the job. Micro-USB is not ideal, but it will get the job done.

Also, SHAW doesn't offer free calling and texting in Canada anymore if you have Shaw Internet, it is now $10 / month. It's not a lot, but are there any better Prepaid options for occasional calling?
Last edited by CCorbu on Mar 10th, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2021
72 posts
80 upvotes
CCorbu wrote: Thank you, this will do the job. Micro-USB is not ideal, but it will get the job done.

Also, SHAW doesn't offer free calling and texting in Canada anymore if you have Shaw Internet, it is now $10 / month. It's not a lot, but are there any better Prepaid options for occasional calling?
I don't think Shaw was ever giving free calling and texting for all internet plans. It was (if I remember well) only free with Fibre internet and for most of people, that speed is unnecessary. While you might think you are getting a good deal since you have free calling/texting, you are paying higher price of internet than you probably need.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
xxxray wrote: hate to be that teen
I wonder what they did to warrant this relatively drastic measure?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
CCorbu wrote: What old school dumb phone to go for a teenager? The phone will be used as contact with parents with absolutely no way of installing Apps, especially the social media ones. It must be basic for calling and occasional texting only.

It must work with Shaw / Freedom Mobile.

USB-C charging is preferred because everyone in the house uses USB-C.

Thank you.

Unfortunately - to work fully / properly on Freedom, you'll need a phone that is on their VoLTE and Wifi calling white list along with compatibility with Freedom's cell band B66

The dumbest phone is Freedom's specific version of the Alcatel Go Flip ( A405DL ) sold only by Freedom. The Rogers/Chatr version and the Telus version are different from the Freedom version and won't work as well
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 wrote: Look for a Blackberry 10 phone. That’s your best bet as it fits your requirements and it’s well built so it will sustain abuse.
Devhux wrote: That one won't even make calls anymore.
nah man, Blackberry 10 phones work just fine still. I'm rocking a BB Passport as my daily driver and calls / SMS & data work just fine. The lack of apps is another story but I just use it for Whatsapp, Youtube, mp3 listening, emails, calls and txt.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Oh ok. It's the BB7 and older phones that can't anymore.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
there is actually a niche market for dumbphone / flip phones that are 4G capable....

I was cleaning up my parent's home a few months and found a brand new unlocked Samsung C414 flip phone..........still brand new in the box with a battery that wasn't used.

Charged the phone and everything worked well but no one needs it since my parents are on iphones.

Posted it on Kijiji and had so manyyyyy people msging me wanting to buy the phone. A lot of folks were offering more than my posted price of $45.....I think the Samsung C414 is 3G?

Sold it to a happy camper Grandma that was looking for a new flip phone to replace her current one that was falling apart....

Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Not 100% what you want, but an old smartphone running an obsolete OS version (eg. Android 4) will limit what can be installed.
Sep 29, 2008
787 posts
666 upvotes
xxxray wrote: hate to be that teen
Yes, how terrible to have parents who realize that smartphones are causing massive damage to mental health of all ages, but particularly teenagers who are having a epidemic of suicides and self harm as a result of bullying; the majority of which they acknowledge is a result of online bullying facilitated by smartphones.
Of course facebook et al really care, and would never do anything that would cause harm to people. I mean it's not like the world is full of socially inept zombies who are addicted to their phones but can't hold a conversation in public. It's obviously just bad luck that bullying, suicides and self harm skyrocketed since the advent of social media.

To the OP, good for you.

To answer your question, there are lots of options. https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/ is a great place to start. Jose Briones on youtube has a bunch of dumbphone reviews, and made the dumbphone finder. It's not a complete list, but a good start https://dumbphones.pory.app/

I have personally used and like the punkt mp02. expensive but very nice. calls, texts, signal, wifi hotspot. That's it.
The new nokia 2760 just released in USA looks excellent, Kaios 3.1 has really fixed many of the issues from older kaios devices like the go flip 3. the go flip 3 is fine, but t9 texting isnt as good as the punkt or newer kaios 3.1 devices. Hopefully the go flip 4 or nokia 2760 come to canada soon.

The sonim xp3plus has just been released on telus and bell. again, it's expensive at $300, but will last for years. It's pretty bulky though. I have an xp3 which I like everything except the size.

The other option is to get a pixel phone, install grapheneos, then delete the extra apps you don't want and it becomes an easy to use touchscreen dumb phone. I talk about that here https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/com ... le_ground/
That is what I use for our "home phone" all my kids can easily use it for calls and texts, but nothing else.

As an aside, dumbphones are not just for kids or grandma. Many adults are seriously addicted, and many of societies problems are a result of smartphones and social media. Not to mention how dumb people have become because they rely on their phone for everything. Plus there's the issue of government over reach and digital intervention; if digital ID and social credit scores become a thing it will be because people will choose slavery over giving up their smartphone. Having a dumbphone puts you back in the real world, use a paper map, make a phone call, speak to people in real life. There's a whole world out there, and it is wonderful.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I hate iPhones but one advantage is that you can restrict the screen time and require multi factor authentication to make a purchase or install any apps
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
crunchiespg wrote: Yes, how terrible to have parents who realize that smartphones are causing massive damage to mental health of all ages, but particularly teenagers who are having a epidemic of suicides and self harm as a result of bullying; the majority of which they acknowledge is a result of online bullying facilitated by smartphones.
Of course facebook et al really care, and would never do anything that would cause harm to people. I mean it's not like the world is full of socially inept zombies who are addicted to their phones but can't hold a conversation in public. It's obviously just bad luck that bullying, suicides and self harm skyrocketed since the advent of social media.

To the OP, good for you.

To answer your question, there are lots of options. https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/ is a great place to start. Jose Briones on youtube has a bunch of dumbphone reviews, and made the dumbphone finder. It's not a complete list, but a good start https://dumbphones.pory.app/

I have personally used and like the punkt mp02. expensive but very nice. calls, texts, signal, wifi hotspot. That's it.
The new nokia 2760 just released in USA looks excellent, Kaios 3.1 has really fixed many of the issues from older kaios devices like the go flip 3. the go flip 3 is fine, but t9 texting isnt as good as the punkt or newer kaios 3.1 devices. Hopefully the go flip 4 or nokia 2760 come to canada soon.

The sonim xp3plus has just been released on telus and bell. again, it's expensive at $300, but will last for years. It's pretty bulky though. I have an xp3 which I like everything except the size.

The other option is to get a pixel phone, install grapheneos, then delete the extra apps you don't want and it becomes an easy to use touchscreen dumb phone. I talk about that here https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/com ... le_ground/
That is what I use for our "home phone" all my kids can easily use it for calls and texts, but nothing else.

As an aside, dumbphones are not just for kids or grandma. Many adults are seriously addicted, and many of societies problems are a result of smartphones and social media. Not to mention how dumb people have become because they rely on their phone for everything. Plus there's the issue of government over reach and digital intervention; if digital ID and social credit scores become a thing it will be because people will choose slavery over giving up their smartphone. Having a dumbphone puts you back in the real world, use a paper map, make a phone call, speak to people in real life. There's a whole world out there, and it is wonderful.
Can go the other way, everyone is connected, even some class group projects require a dedicated app. This is a teen growing up and being socially accepted is a huge factor in school.

By cutting them off social media, you just effectively made them a social outcast in the entire school. You talk about bullying, you just created that situation.

No one sends SMS these days, it's all on messaging apps. Kids can be having a discussion about homework but your kid will never know cause they don't have WhatsApp.

You're also talking in extremes. Yes people get addicted, but it's all about moderation and education.
Sep 29, 2008
787 posts
666 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Can go the other way, everyone is connected, even some class group projects require a dedicated app. This is a teen growing up and being socially accepted is a huge factor in school.

By cutting them off social media, you just effectively made them a social outcast in the entire school. You talk about bullying, you just created that situation.

No one sends SMS these days, it's all on messaging apps. Kids can be having a discussion about homework but your kid will never know cause they don't have WhatsApp.

You're also talking in extremes. Yes people get addicted, but it's all about moderation and education.
IIt's not an extreme when it is commonplace. The average person uses a smartphone for 5-6 hours of screentime a day the last study i saw on the subject. The average. So that is not an extreme outlier to say addictions are a problem.

My eldest kid has a wide and varied social circle. Her friends all call or text her just fine. In fact none of her friends even use whatsapp, nor does anyone else I know locally. Signal is used by some.

The issues you raise I have asked her and her friends about, and they simply are not an issue.
And if they were, we have a home phone that has some apps on it, and more could be added if needed. But that doesn't mean each of my kids also needs their own smartphone with 24/7 access to it everywhere they go.
they can use what is needed, and not get sucked into the world of what is not needed and is demonstrability harmful. A bunch of kids in her school, and friend's kids, do not have smartphones and are all doing just fine without.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)