• Jun 30th, 2020 8:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 20, 2011
77 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

Dumping buckets of water onto the lawn

Last summer, my husband dug up the whole backyard and put down sod on 3/5th of the backyard and left the other 2/5th for a garden. The sod rooted nicely, but the garden didn't work out - too many critters. So my husband replaced the garden with sod a few days ago.

We have a blow-up pool for our young children. The pool is on the interlocking. Just wondering if dumpling the water from the pool onto the existing lawn or the sod with buckets of water from the pool would be a good or bad idea.

Feels like a waste of water to not use it to water the lawn. But buckets of water leads to uneven water distribution. Also, it's quite forceful when hitting the grass/sod. Is it okay for one but not the other? referring to existing lawn and sod.

thanks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2135 posts
2618 upvotes
West GTA
It's fine. Just don't do it every day and you're fine. Grass is pretty sturdy, and will like the water during the hot months. Unless you're great with your bucket tossing, it won't be a watering replacement since some grass will be dry, but I do the same thing and the grass quite likes it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4188 posts
3394 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a utility pump to drain the pool. Connect it to a garden hose. Connect that to a sprinkler. Fun for the kids while you water the lawn.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10703 posts
4062 upvotes
No issue with that especially as we get latter into the summer with less rain.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Oct 20, 2011
77 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for to those who've chimed in. Just to confirm, it's okay to dump buckets of water onto both the established lawn and the new sod (a few days old).
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10703 posts
4062 upvotes
jcremer2007 wrote: Thanks for to those who've chimed in. Just to confirm, it's okay to dump buckets of water onto both the established lawn and the new sod (a few days old).
a few days old sod? ....just take care not to disturb it too much until the roots are established but wetting alot perfectly fine.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Apr 8, 2010
796 posts
449 upvotes
toronto
Just make sure you're drainage is good. don't want "pools" of water on your grass.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11672 posts
530 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Buy a utility pump to drain the pool. Connect it to a garden hose. Connect that to a sprinkler. Fun for the kids while you water the lawn.
Honestly, if you have time on your hands, just get a piece of plastic tube, run it into the pool and down to a lower part of your yard, and suck on it to create a siphon. It'll be a slow process but you won't flood anything :)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4188 posts
3394 upvotes
Toronto
mbg wrote: Honestly, if you have time on your hands, just get a piece of plastic tube, run it into the pool and down to a lower part of your yard, and suck on it to create a siphon. It'll be a slow process but you won't flood anything :)
a) that assumes a lot about the grade of the yard

b) the objective was to potentially avoid concentration of water in one area
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1852 posts
1025 upvotes
London
If you are willing to let your kids soak in it, why would you worry about the lawn soaking in it?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1219 posts
776 upvotes
London, On
Is this a pool that you are frequently emptying out and only really setting up for the kids to use for a few days at a time? If you are just emptying it out every so often, then sure, no issue with watering the grass with it. This wouldn't be the type of pool that would have chemicals in it. And even so, I know the grass where my backwash hose ends in the front yard always looks good for a few days after I backwash.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)