Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
60 % off
Expiry:
December 31, 2019
Retailer:
Duolingo
Duolingo is having a new years subscription deal.

Learn a language for $6.49/month (normally $8.99/month) on a 1 year plan
But they're being sneaky and marketing it as if the month to month plan (without commitment) is $16.99....which up until a week or two ago was actually $13.99/month.

Either way, still a good deal if you're willing to swap mindlessly scrolling through IG for learning a language and the countless benefits that brings with it.

You might need to already have an account or login in order to see this deal, i see it in the app when I login.

Deal expires on Dec 31st it seems.
Images
  • Screenshot_20191230-093247.png
Last edited by faisalk on Dec 30th, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 28, 2017
1462 posts
1779 upvotes
I've used the app for over a year and haven't paid a dime. Not sure why I'd spend money on it
[OP]
Aug 21, 2006
27 posts
59 upvotes
Number of hearts and how good / serious you are about it. I was making a lot of mistakes initially so would have limited attempts or time in a day then a cool down period to replenish hearts usually didn't keep me consistent and regimented.

to each their own too, i guess, that was just my experience
Jan 13, 2013
131 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
You can practice to regain hearts, which isn't bad because the practice itself is good for learning.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1615 posts
1034 upvotes
I signed up to Memrise for one year at 1/2 price last week, came to roughly $40 Cdn. Wonder if I should bite the bullet on this one as well. I wanted to try MossaSeries as it offers different training modalities but the subscription price is a little too steep for me.

One thing about these apps is that they are very slow to progress but I guess that's good in a way to really hammer down the vocabulary and expressions if you're not in a huge rush.

Another very useful source that I'd recommend are free French Podcasts that you can stream or download, those will actually let you listen to a story or news broadcast and have an instructor analyze the phrases for you.

And of course, nothing beats actual speaking in real life if you can find people to converse with.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2006
27 posts
59 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: I signed up to Memrise for one year at 1/2 price last week, came to roughly $40 Cdn. Wonder if I should bite the bullet on this one as well. I wanted to try MossaSeries but the subscription price is a little too steep for me.

One thing about these apps is that they are very slow to progress but I guess that's good in a way to really hammer down the vocabulary and expressions if you're not in a huge rush.

Another very useful source that I'd recommend are free French Podcasts that you can stream or download, those will actually let you listen to a story or news broadcast and have an instructor analyze the phrases for you.

And of course, nothing beats actual speaking in real life if you can find people to converse with.
i've been looking for some french podcasts with beginner french...any suggestions?
Jan 2, 2014
583 posts
206 upvotes
Duolingo breaking into your house to make you take your lesson?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1615 posts
1034 upvotes
faisalk wrote: i've been looking for some french podcasts with beginner french...any suggestions?
Yep, I downloaded a simple program from the playstore called Learn French - Listen to Learn. From there, there are a lot of different podcasts to choose from, I tried the "Learn French by Podcast" series which has 200 episodes, and it is awesome. I recommend starting from episode 1 which then gets gradually more advanced.

So basically, I would listen to podcasts while in the car or doing chores around the house. I'd do the apps like Memrise or Duolingo while at my PC (easier to type) or sometimes from my phone if I'm not near a computer and am bored.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2006
27 posts
59 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: Yep, I downloaded a simple program from the playstore called Learn French - Listen to Learn. From there, there are a lot of different podcasts to choose from, I tried the "Learn French by Podcast" series which has 200 episodes, and it is awesome. I recommend starting from episode 1 which then gets gradually more advanced.

So basically, I would listen to podcasts while in the car or doing chores around the house. I'd do the apps like Memrise or Duolingo while at my PC (easier to type) or sometimes from my phone if I'm not near a computer and am bored.
thanks, i'll give that a shot!... i literally just swapped it out for my mindless IG scrolling when i'm waiting for my wife to finish shopping / at appts etc. and am pretty happy with how much i've learned just in doing that
May 26, 2011
583 posts
333 upvotes
Duolingo is like a bad language teacher. The first lesson was to practise:
* I'm a woman. (Ok, I may say this a few times in my life?)
* You're a woman. (The situation must be tense when you say such things)
* He's a woman. (Hmm, really?)
* She's a woman. (Duh!)
* They're women. (Enough already, time to uninstall this crAPP)
Koodo, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Drop, meridian, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM and Tangerine customer.
Oct 24, 2005
397 posts
52 upvotes
Duolingo is an excellent way to get a solid foundation of a language for free. The subscription was put in place to cover their costs without having to do heavy advertising. I believe it is more of a donation as a lot of people were asking if they could donate money to help the app to show their appreciation. Duolingo implemented the "premium" subscription but also wanted to provide value which they did in allowing subscribers to study offline.

You do get some benefits with the hearts as well from what I hear but that was never an issue when I started so I'm not sure if it's of any real value as it was pointed out above that the "penalty" is more practice which one benefits from.

I highly recommend the free version and if you need to study offline but don't want to pay a monthly fee I would recommend the MosaLingua App. I got it for free on sale but it's worth the one-time fee as well. As you progress they offered me all the add-on packs for $15 (the listed price I believe was over $50 if purchased separately). They had a great BF deal I posted here for US$99 for all unlimited access for all their languages online. I use both and find it very effective.

BTW these apps are designed to be used for a short amount of time consistently (5-15 minutes each day) over the long term.