Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9254 posts
366 upvotes

Durable Notebook with Optical drive?

So looks like Lenovo took out the optical on the T450s, any similar alternatives on the market with similar durability/price but with an optical drive? Looking to keep the price around $1000, must have the latest 5th gen CPU, decent battery life and around 14".
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
A used probook or elitebook. /thread
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
neverhaveiever wrote: A used probook or elitebook. /thread
Used ProBook and EliteBooks won't have Broadwell.

I'm surprised Lenovo hasn't refreshed the Tp to T450p. I guess for those who need optical drives they're pushing them to get the ThinkPad W instead, but that starts at $1.6K. Same goes for HP, you need to get the ZBook before there's an option for an optical drive. Dell has it for the Vostro but not the Latitude, but I've heard bad things about the Vostro. Probably they aren't making any money on the optical drives so have to package them this way.

OP how often do you use the optical and wouldn't an external work?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
^
Broadwell & Skylake delivery failure by Intel
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14861 upvotes
I'm more curious as to why you would need an optical device.
Unless it's because you want to strip it and put in a hard drive.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9254 posts
366 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: OP how often do you use the optical and wouldn't an external work?
Machine for the inlaws, requested Optical... Though I agree, usb optical should suffice...

Just wanted to get something that would last, their T400 is abit sluggish, but survived through 4 AC power adapters and 2 batteries, hinge is still good!

Looks like Lenovo is waiting for quadcores to release the p version:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... e_a_t450p/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
B0000rt wrote: So looks like Lenovo took out the optical on the T450s, any similar alternatives on the market with similar durability/price but with an optical drive? Looking to keep the price around $1000, must have the latest 5th gen CPU, decent battery life and around 14".
Why are u so fixated on the need to have an optical drive? It is not even a passe. In these days, the function hardly matters at all.It is just an USB attachment costing around $30 if you really need it.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
I can understand the cd drive requirement. It makes a lot of situations easier depending on your use.

I don't want to take a usb drive everywhere with me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14861 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote: I can understand the cd drive requirement. It makes a lot of situations easier depending on your use.
I can't think of one situation where I've needed a CD drive in like a decade.

I don't want to take a usb drive everywhere with me.
So you'd rather take a much bulkier CD?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: I can't think of one situation where I've needed a CD drive in like a decade.

So you'd rather take a much bulkier CD?
I burn things regularly and use dvds for install media.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14861 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote: I burn things regularly
What are you burning? If it's large USB is still more efficient in terms of size, especially with flash media falling through the floor.
I can't deal with a 4/8GB cap. As much as I dislike flash drives even I picked up a 64GB because it was cheap.
It's just easier than swapping media every few GB.
and use dvds for install media.
Oh wow. I haven't used DVDs for install media in like 5 years.
USB is FAR superior in that regard and PXE blows that out of the water.
I may as well be using a floppy disk to install something.

Seriously though... http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/
Stick that on like a 16GB USB key and you can have literally everything you'd ever boot from.
No more binder full of random discs.

PXE is even better. Assuming I'm at a location with PXE I just plug into my network.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: What are you burning? If it's large USB is still more efficient in terms of size, especially with flash media falling through the floor.
I can't deal with a 4/8GB cap. As much as I dislike flash drives even I picked up a 64GB because it was cheap.
It's just easier than swapping media every few GB.

Oh wow. I haven't used DVDs for install media in like 5 years.
USB is FAR superior in that regard and PXE blows that out of the water.
I may as well be using a floppy disk to install something.

Seriously though... http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/
Stick that on like a 16GB USB key and you can have literally everything you'd ever boot from.
No more binder full of random discs.

PXE is even better. Assuming I'm at a location with PXE I just plug into my network.
Music. Movies. Disc for people. I'm not going to give people usb sticks but disc I don't care.

I get programs on disc. Sometimes easier and faster to use the disc versus download the software
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
death_hawk wrote: I can't think of one situation where I've needed a CD drive in like a decade.
I just bought a new vehicle this 2 weeks. There is a cd player in the vehicle (in addition to BT/Aux connection) . No clue why they have such outdated feature at all.
So I tried to make use of the cd player which can play mp3 of around 700 Mb size. I found out that out of the many junk (incl many blank dvd-r in my basement), I cannot find one blank cdr where I can record music. I gave it up as my phone with 64Gb memory card can accommodate zillion pieces of music (or moveis) in ripped mp3.
I am sure a lot of people with ipod/iphone/Window/Android smart phones have zero issues at all.
It is a mystery that the vehicle manufacturer (Honda) does bother to put a cd player there at all. I guess there are still people around fixated on outdated devices. It is unreal.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
danieltoronto wrote: I just bought a new vehicle this 2 weeks. There is a cd player in the vehicle (in addition to BT/Aux connection) . No clue why they have such outdated feature at all.
So I tried to make use of the cd player which can play mp3 of around 700 Mb size. I found out that out of the many junk (incl many blank dvd-r in my basement), I cannot find one blank cdr where I can record music. I gave it up as my phone with 64Gb memory card can accommodate zillion pieces of music (or moveis) in ripped mp3.
I am sure a lot of people with ipod/iphone/Window/Android smart phones have zero issues at all.
It is a mystery that the vehicle manufacturer (Honda) does bother to put a cd player there at all. I guess there are still people around fixated on outdated devices. It is unreal.
Some manufacturers actually charge extra these days to include an optical drive.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9254 posts
366 upvotes
Went with a pair of T450s.. 12gb max ram isn't as good as 16gb but it should last. 512gb 850pro in one and 240gb OCZ ARC 100 in the other. Will get a m.2 pcie ssd in the future once theme 3d nand takes off.