Students

Durham College -----> OPG?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 8:06 am
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 18, 2014
26 posts
1 upvote

Durham College -----> OPG?

Has anyone done the chemical engineering tech. program or know someone who did at DC? I will be doing the fast tracked eight months with coop and hoping to get a position with OPG as they hire chemical technicians and technologists.

Does anyone know if OPG has a good relationship with DC or takes many of their students? Any help is appreciated. thanks!
6 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2015
990 posts
1079 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rijalwar wrote: Has anyone done the chemical engineering tech. program or know someone who did at DC? I will be doing the fast tracked eight months with coop and hoping to get a position with OPG as they hire chemical technicians and technologists.

Does anyone know if OPG has a good relationship with DC or takes many of their students? Any help is appreciated. thanks!
If I was the hiring manager at OPG, why would I hire college kids for an insanely well-paying and secure job when there are so many university-educated engineering graduates who want this job just as much?
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 18, 2014
26 posts
1 upvote
Good point. But I was told that because of DC's proximity to OPG, and more practical focus, they tend to get coop positions there, I could be wrong though.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1454 posts
238 upvotes
How DC is proximal to OPG?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1391 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: If I was the hiring manager at OPG, why would I hire college kids for an insanely well-paying and secure job when there are so many university-educated engineering graduates who want this job just as much?
Because engineering graduates (for example) are not suited to technician/technologist roles, and they'll be disgruntled if they can't transfer out of the department in a few years to a 'real' engineering job that puts them on the P.Eng. path?

There is the whole idea that some people are literally 'too smart' for certain jobs as well, which would exclude a lot of engineering grads from mundane jobs that techs usually do.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1454 posts
238 upvotes
kuhai2001 wrote: Should you go to college for certificate, just avoid the coiny private institutes with low reputation.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Member
Jul 18, 2015
271 posts
89 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
burnt69 wrote: Because engineering graduates (for example) are not suited to technician/technologist roles, and they'll be disgruntled if they can't transfer out of the department in a few years to a 'real' engineering job that puts them on the P.Eng. path?

There is the whole idea that some people are literally 'too smart' for certain jobs as well, which would exclude a lot of engineering grads from mundane jobs that techs usually do.
I'm a tech for a nuclear plant (not OPG), and this is very true. I have both college and university education. Just because you have B.Sc after your name, doesn't make you a great tech. The hands on experience you gain for a technical program far outweighs the "book smarts" of being able to study hard for a university class. Just my opinion and real life experience that I've seen.
OP, I say go ahead and go to Durham, and make sure you get some Co-op experience to make that resume look better!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)