• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2007 3:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I've had it. Dislike the smell and the taste... It's too like creamy for me.
Apr 13, 2003
399 posts
51 upvotes
JAGpilot wrote: what kind of smell does it have?
Smells like you're walking through the garbage alley in chinatown on a 30 plus day!
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
20 upvotes
mmm.. Durian. I love it, but sometimes, the relatives get over-enthusiastic feeding my family when we go back to Malaysia. As much as I love Durian, you can't chain-eat it you know. It's quite filling.

I used to hate it though as a kid. I got over that, thankfully!

Also, Mangosteen? I've tried it here and it's just no where as good. I can get ok durian, but haven't had as much success with mangosteen.
foodpr0n.com 11/02/15: Comforting Campagnolo // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com
Mar 26, 2007
325 posts
203 upvotes
I love durian!

I used to hate it because it stunk. After i had my first bite, i'm hooked! Sometimes its a bit dry, sometimes its too crunchy (and tasteless). it's perfect when just the outer layer is crunchy, and the rest with a stringy creamy texture

Smelly tofu, well, depends where you get it from. It seems no one has it right in the toronto area. I went to a street fair last summer when they had it. My mouth emanated with a nasty sewage smell. It was awful. It's NOT supposed to be like that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
I love durian myself although my sister hates it!

The most popular ones are from Thailand.

It's definitely an aquired taste.

You either love it or REALLY hate it... there's no middle ground on this one.

Known as the "King of fruits" in asia.

Ppl have actually died from over indulging on this fruit.

The Mangosteen(my fav) fruit known as the "queen of fruits" is the best thing to have to reverse negative effect from eatting Durian.
Apr 2, 2005
175 posts
love it but i dont quite like the frozen one. It has a different texture then the fresh ones.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2006
6424 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
i hate it.. my mom loves it and i hate it when she eats it.. it stinks up the whole house.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Love it. I've got one in the freezer with my name on it right now. Used to hate it as a kid, but have since grown to love it.

I prefer eating it when it's half defrosted, with the consistency of soft ice cream.
Oct 10, 2004
591 posts
19 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Love it and always loved it.

I can never see why people think it smells bad. However, durian is mighty fattening...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3430 posts
53 upvotes
London
D24s are the best kind.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
DURIAN??? SLURP!!!!! i wish there was AYCE durian place :D

my dogs love durian....they would wait while i open the fruit. they love it more than mangoes.

Durian milkshake is very easy to make - but have to use the frozen fruit.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
is there anything more hideous and disgusting?
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
What's the difference between a durian and a jackfruit? And how do you choose a good durian? size? weight? look?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
james22 wrote: I've got fresh durian from Chinatown, at the fruits store right next to Kings Noodle (Fruits&Fruits?). It was pricey ($30-$40) but well worth it.
They're no fresh durian here since we can't grow them. They're all frozen durians and rethaw once they get shipped over here. It really kills most of the smell and taste after they've been frozen.
kiasu wrote: Exactly...Malaysia durian is the best....D24!
Yep! Just too bad most of the durians here are Thailand export. They're freaking dirt cheap in Malaysia too.

Anyone have tried "Mountain" Durian? They're very small (and spikier) and have a very distinct durian and wine-like taste.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2006
1906 posts
57 upvotes
I just tried durian for the 1st time in my life last weekend, and boy, I've just realized that I've been missing the best fruit on Earth all these years. I thought mango was the best fruit on Earth. But I agreed now that durian is the king of all fruits, a forbidden fruit too ;)

I've been brainwashed by friends and relatives all these years saying that they stink and taste like crap and told me to stay away from the fruit, so I've never dare to try it, until I took the risk last weekend. And I'm glad I tried it now knowing what I've been missing all these years :)
Oct 16, 2006
113 posts
1 upvote
Akuma_kumite wrote: I just tried durian for the 1st time in my life last weekend, and boy, I've just realized that I've been missing the best fruit on Earth all these years. I thought mango was the best fruit on Earth. But I agreed now that durian is the king of all fruits, a forbidden fruit too ;)

I've been brainwashed by friends and relatives all these years saying that they stink and taste like crap and told me to stay away from the fruit, so I've never dare to try it, until I took the risk last weekend. And I'm glad I tried it now knowing what I've been missing all these years :)

Congrats! Your next adventure is to go to SE Asia and try the durian there. You will not be disappointed.