Automotive

During COVID-19, are you wrenching or getting work done on your vehicle? Are you ordering Parts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2020 6:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5633 posts
2188 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alanbrenton wrote: Wow. Didn't know synthetic oil changes still required 6,000 km service intervals. Even the 2012 CT200h I bought has an 8k service interval.

Do you think you can wait a month or so? Maybe email the manufacturer to get things in writing?

Oil changes are not expensive at the dealership anyway. Maybe visual inspection won't cost you much either.

I would email MFR and just have dealership do it but are you sure OCI is every 6k? That is too frequent.
Sorry, added more info. below.

Mtce interval is 6 months or 10000 kms whichever earlier. Have reached the 6 months mark but only halfway to the 10000 kms.

But yes would prefer to wait especially since low mileage and not risk covid19 from going anywhere else outside. Perhaps OCD but virus does stay on plastics and fabrics. I would obviously clean wagon after oil change but still.

Could I even do 12 months Service B later in summer and skip Service A? It includes all of Service A plus more items and more expensive. Would still likely be at less then 10000 kms.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53361 posts
18272 upvotes
georvu wrote: Sorry, added more info. below.

Mtce interval is 6 months or 10000 kms whichever earlier. Have reached the 6 months mark but only halfway to the 10000 kms.

But yes would prefer to wait especially since low mileage and not risk covid19 from going anywhere else outside. Perhaps OCD but virus does stay on plastics and fabrics. I would obviously clean wagon after oil change but still.

Could I even do 12 months Service B later in summer and skip Service A? It includes all of Service A plus more items and more expensive. Would still likely be at less then 10000 kms.
I went with mileage most of the time with my Honda Civic (8k vs. recommended 6) and Toyota and never had issues with extended or base warranty work.

Honda Accord has maintenance minder and normally lights up between 12-15k km.

I don't think Subaru can void your warranty when its dealerships are closed. Best to shoot email to get it in writing but oil change every 10k should be fine unless it takes you two years to get there. If you reach that annually, go with mileage.

I would do the service intervals requiring oil changes at the dealership and skip intervals that may just consist of visual inspections. That's what I am doing for our RAV4H with extended warranty. I do the service intervals that only include visual inspections myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8088 posts
2572 upvotes
Went to take the Armada to work today (easier to put out the garbage and recycling in one trip ), and no start. Battery toast. So I had to pick up a brand new one at CT on the way home from work and do an unplanned "wrench" tonight.

The one I pulled out was a mid range "silver" from parts source 4 years ago, but since the Armada does so many short trips, I am not surprised it died in only 4 years.

Went with an AGM this time. It was slightly smaller in size actually, but more CCA. Hopefully it will perform better.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5633 posts
2188 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alanbrenton wrote: I went with mileage most of the time with my Honda Civic (8k vs. recommended 6) and Toyota and never had issues with extended or base warranty work.

Honda Accord has maintenance minder and normally lights up between 12-15k km.

I don't think Subaru can void your warranty when its dealerships are closed. Best to shoot email to get it in writing but oil change every 10k should be fine unless it takes you two years to get there. If you reach that annually, go with mileage.

I would do the service intervals requiring oil changes at the dealership and skip intervals that may just consist of visual inspections. That's what I am doing for our RAV4H with extended warranty. I do the service intervals that only include visual inspections myself.
Ahhh, thanks.

Will ask them as well.

But leaning towards doing Service A [6 months/10000 kms] in summer when reach near 10000 kms or 12 months, whichever first. Should be about $120 per most dealership sites.

Service B [12 months/20000 kms] is a doozy... more inspections and service brakes. Should be about $500 per most dealership sites.

Hope they do not insist on Service B if doing Service A just before 12 months.[/b
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53361 posts
18272 upvotes
georvu wrote: Ahhh, thanks.

Will ask them as well.

But leaning towards doing Service A [6 months/10000 kms] in summer when reach near 10000 kms or 12 months, whichever first. Should be about $120 per most dealership sites.

Service B [12 months/20000 kms] is a doozy... more inspections and service brakes. Should be about $500 per most dealership sites.

Hope they do not insist on Service B if doing Service A just before 12 months.[/b

Yeah, every 10k should not get you in trouble but who knows how Subaru does business lol. OCI for newer Toyotas now every 16k. Older ones were 8k but out of warranty, annual OCI with synthetic motor oil should be fine.

Wow. That expensive? Service 3 for our RAV4H was around $180 before tax. That's the most expensive I had paid so far. I was pleasantly surprised lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11304 posts
1925 upvotes
Toronto
I installed my own trailer hitch, where I'll put a bike rack. Now, I was going to do it myself anyways. The hard part was removing the rust in the bolt holes. Required some curb side pickup met wire brush.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5633 posts
2188 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alanbrenton wrote: Yeah, every 10k should not get you in trouble but who knows how Subaru does business lol. OCI for newer Toyotas now every 16k. Older ones were 8k but out of warranty, annual OCI with synthetic motor oil should be fine.

Wow. That expensive? Service 3 for our RAV4H was around $180 before tax. That's the most expensive I had paid so far. I was pleasantly surprised lol.
New RAV4 gas didn't quite meet our criteria as well as Outback else was on our list. The FWD RAV4 was more expensive then AWD Outback even though both 2019 MY... not too surprising as first year model redesign vs last year model before redesign.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18087 posts
2020 upvotes
Woodbridge
Mr. Lube at Wal-Mart accepts. I did two oil changes this month and no problems.

I just kept cleaning the interiors, mainly the leather seats. I kept the Audi logo when I debadged the Q3/quattro a week ago and yesterday, I went ahead and took of the Audi logo. Back is clean AF. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26583 posts
6880 upvotes
bembol wrote: I just kept cleaning the interiors, mainly the leather seats. I kept the Audi logo when I debadged the Q3/quattro a week ago and yesterday, I went ahead and took of the Audi logo. Back is clean AF. lol
Nooooooooooo! :lol:

BTW are you putting a tune on your Q3...does one exist for it yet? I'm guessing it's not a lease but then maybe you'd like to keep the powertrain warranty, lol.
Aug 5, 2007
62 posts
36 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Autoshack is in my neck of the woods.
Their product offerings are generally no name Chinese parts.
for things like tie rod ends, end links, wheel hubs, balljoints, studs etc. it will last longer than the rest of the car likely will.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32661 posts
18455 upvotes
Ottawa
fromage wrote: for things like tie rod ends, end links, wheel hubs, balljoints, studs etc. it will last longer than the rest of the car likely will.
I suppose, but you get what you pay for.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18087 posts
2020 upvotes
Woodbridge
I already got a stupid remark by a co-worker, "don't you want people to know you're driving an Audi."

FML

What tune?

No. lol My only MOD is ENKEI. I'm just not sure which to go with...
Images
  • ENKEI-HORNET-02-WEB.jpg
  • ENKEI-TSRX-ZP-170-WEB.jpg
  • ENKEI-VICTORY-AP-200-WEB.jpg
  • ENKEI-WHEELS-web-008-1.jpg
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5107 posts
1537 upvotes
GTEH!
Waiting a little bit for the warmer weather to do the Spring tire swap (to 3-season tires).
😎
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26583 posts
6880 upvotes
bembol wrote: I already got a stupid remark by a co-worker, "don't you want people to know you're driving an Audi."
LOL well to each their own, if it's your car you can do what you want with it. It's not to my liking, not to your co-worker's liking, but hey that's not your problem ;) Reason I don't like debadging is simply because, to me, it always just looks like someone got into an accident (or just got repainted if it's an older car) and had their car repaired on the cheap and the shop was so crap they never put the stuff back on/back on properly. I dunno why I have that thinking but that's always how it looks to me. I get why people do it but just not my thing. Only thing I wish is that on the blackout pkg cars (I dunno if you got that on yours or not?) is that they made the badges black too.
bembol wrote: FML

What tune?
Yeah doesn't look like APR or Uni has one for the new gen Q3 over here yet, not sure the rest. I'm sure it's coming shortly as the engine is used in all kinds of other MQB cars. If no tune then I guess no IS38 in the works either eh? :lol: A guy at work has a '19 GLI, I keep joking with him, "so when you gonna put an IS38 on it?" lol. But yeah like you he doesn't even have any plans to put a tune on, never mind a turbo swap.
bembol wrote: No. lol My only MOD is ENKEI. I'm just not sure which to go with...
IMO all look good, except the second one. Design is fine on #2 but don't think the colour is good for a blue car. Are any of those flow-formed?
Last edited by ES_Revenge on Apr 15th, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.