• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 12:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
289 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough

Duties on purchase from China - CC Collect

I purchased a few products from China recently. Received a text from a company called CC collect asking for payment of duties. I've never heard of this company before and they've also marked the value of the goods at double the price of what I paid. Can anyone provide me with guidance? Thanks
Don't worry be happy - Bob
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4832 posts
3103 upvotes
LaLaLand
It sounds like a scam to me. What method is the package being shipped? I would think the shipper, Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, etc. would be asking you for the duties/taxes. For fun, ask them for an invoice.

I once received a scam email from UPS asking me for payment of duties via PayPal. I ignored it and still received my package.
Jan 21, 2007
110 posts
120 upvotes
I agree, this sounds scammy to me. Don't pay anything and certainly don't click on any link that they might have sent to you
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
289 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough
It's shipped by SF Express from China. Apparently Purolater is delivering it here
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Jan 20, 2012
927 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
Prestonxavier wrote: I purchased a few products from China recently. Received a text from a company called CC collect asking for payment of duties. I've never heard of this company before and they've also marked the value of the goods at double the price of what I paid. Can anyone provide me with guidance? Thanks
I got email from CC collect last year as well when shipping stuff from China by EMS. It's acting like a freight forwarder whom collects duty/taxes before releasing the shipment. I spent a few days to contact my shipper in China and trackings to confirm that my items were held at a warehouse in Mississauga before they contacted me for payment. Unfortunately I had to pay them to get my stuff release even they charged very high brokerage fee. ($19) My shipment got released and delivered within 2 days after I paid.