Shopping Discussion

Are duties/taxes charged for the pre or post shipping price?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2021 5:11 pm
Nov 25, 2012
103 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal

Are duties/taxes charged for the pre or post shipping price?

I ordered some bedding from France, which was cheaper than the price from a local retailer, but I am not sure how the duties + taxes work.

For instance, if the price is $500 + $100 dollars shipping, are the duties + taxes calculated on the $500 or the $600? If it's the former, it's cheaper to import, but if it's the latter, it's more expensive.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
Does the set from France include a top sheet? When I asked at the Hotel for one they said that they don't use them in France.
Nov 25, 2012
103 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
tew wrote: Does the set from France include a top sheet? When I asked at the Hotel for one they said that they don't use them in France.
It was from Brun de Vian Tiran, they sell duvets/blankets/pillows/throws, but no sheet sets.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
On the declared value of the item, which the sender will put on the declaration form. So be careful if a website does the shady markup price then puts it on "sale" for 80% off - because you may well get charged for the full "MSRP" not the "sale" (actual) price.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
it should just be the the value of the product
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
dannydevito wrote: I ordered some bedding from France, which was cheaper than the price from a local retailer, but I am not sure how the duties + taxes work.

For instance, if the price is $500 + $100 dollars shipping, are the duties + taxes calculated on the $500 or the $600? If it's the former, it's cheaper to import, but if it's the latter, it's more expensive.
Landed cost, so $600
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kasakato wrote: Landed cost, so $600
This
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 5-eng.html

This clause from the Customs Act, matters very little if you are going to buy something while travelling, or heading stateside to pick up an item from a Parcel Drop (such as a US Post Office, UPS Office etc)

But can matter greatly if you are using the service of a Courier / Customs Broker to import an item into Canada
(Less so if you use a Postal Service ... like USPS etc, where ALL IN shipping costs tend to be smaller than those including the use of a Broker )
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
A lot of sellers offer free shipping, so the purchase price I paid takes into account this expense as well as packaging and handling costs. So, how is CBSA supposed to know if I, the importer, paid extra for shipping?
Nov 25, 2012
103 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote: Landed cost, so $600
Ugh thanks, I didn't manage to cancel the order before it shipped, lesson learned. Now just hoping there aren't any tacked on FedEx fees and I escape with paying just a bit more than the local price, which is way more expensive when comparing base prices, but shipping and duties are the great equalizer.

Usually wouldn't bother with the hassle, but I scour the ends of the internet for good bedding.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
dannydevito wrote: Ugh thanks, I didn't manage to cancel the order before it shipped, lesson learned. Now just hoping there aren't any tacked on FedEx fees and I escape with paying just a bit more than the local price, which is way more expensive when comparing base prices, but shipping and duties are the great equalizer.

Usually wouldn't bother with the hassle, but I scour the ends of the internet for good bedding.
FedEx will add brokerage, disbursement and possibly ROD fees depending on the service used. I would look into self clearing if that's an option for you.
Nov 25, 2012
103 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote: FedEx will add brokerage, disbursement and possibly ROD fees depending on the service used. I would look into self clearing if that's an option for you.
Thanks, it was via FedEx international economy. I'll look into self clearance, it's slated to get here Wednesday. I think this is the first time where I didn't have the option to prepay the duties, so it's a little worrying with potential hidden fees and unknown declared values.