• Jul 14th, 2017 9:39 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6550 posts
2378 upvotes
Montreal

Duty and taxes - requesting a reassessment

I received an order today from the UK worth $90 US, so about $120 CAD at the time I paid it.
Canada Post asked for $50 in duty and taxes, that seems rather excessive for the value of my package.
Would it be worth taking the time to request an reassessment?

Has anyone done it and successfully reduced the amount of taxes paid?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver
Canada Post charges $10 brokerage fee in addition to GST/PST/GST, and duties. Did you check the tariff guide to see if the type of goods were correctly assessed? Here's a handy tool, it says it's for importing from the US but it works for importing from any country. https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calc ... calculator
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6550 posts
2378 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Canada Post charges $10 brokerage fee in addition to GST/PST/GST, and duties. Did you check the tariff guide to see if the type of goods were correctly assessed? Here's a handy tool, it says it's for importing from the US but it works for importing from any country. https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calc ... calculator
thanks, just used the tool, it calculated

Taxes (GST, PST, HST)
CAD $

Duty
CAD $

so I guess they overcharged by about 12 bucks. Worth doing it the reassessment I guess if that is accurate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6550 posts
2378 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Add Canada Post's $10 brokerage fee for assessing, collecting, and remitting the duties and taxes to the CBSA, and it sounds like they got it about right.
damn lol

and if I refuse the package, my refund would actually be less than paid because of the CAD currency increasing. Live and learn I guess.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6550 posts
2378 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: You can save the $10 brokerage fee by refusing to accept the shipment, it will be returned to the CBSA depot, and you can go down there and clear it through customs yourself. You decide if that hassle is worth a $10 savings.
Definitely not worth the hassle. Thanks for your help, saved me time going through the papers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)