Shopping Discussion

DVD-R 100pk deals... which is the best?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2007 7:09 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which is the best?

• Total votes: 71. You have voted on this poll.
BB (memorex 16x PRINTABLE)

24%
FS (imitation 16x)

11%
NCIX (verbatim

65%
Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote
Verbatim from The Source, end of story. $20 = 4 packs ... plus you can mix and match + and -.
Nov 27, 2005
193 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
How about Verbatim vs. Taiyo vs. Ritek Ridata?

And I'm not asking just about coasters, but also longevity of the disc after it's burnt (I want my archived discs to last as long as possible)
RFD will make you go broke! :razz:
Nov 24, 2005
355 posts
9 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Yes it's wrong. How do I know? That's a very long and frustrating question to answer. The short answer is I spend a LOT of time working with blank media. I'm a mod on CDRlabs.com, and was previously for CDRinfo.com (probably still am, but don't have the time to visit there anymore). I used to write reviews for CDRLabs until recently (it's a time issue). I work directly with Maxell, Verbatim, Optodisc, and occasionally Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, and Prodisc. I have significant contacts within the industry, and have a significant connection with most of the better media businesses in Canada, like Blankmedia.ca and NCIX.com, and to a lesser extent Anitec and MemoryExpress. I have thousands of discs both rare and common, in spindles in my room, which I test on my collection of just under 20 DVD burners (only 9 active at a time between 2 PCs though), and 1 DVD recorder. I have access to over a hundred different MID codes in my personal collection, and many many MANY more available to me through various sources if I need them.

Put Simply, Blank media is my life. That's how I know.
Sooo.. instead of getting frustrated replying to the same topic over and over again on RFD, why don't you set up a website yourself and post your findings. I would think it would be a more effective way of communicating the info to the public than these forums. DigitalFAQ is highly ranked on search engines when searching for media info, so it's natural that ppl will read the info first (and thus, you'll be always be put into a defensive position, explaining and re-explaining why it's inaccurate).

If you are the expert in blank media, share the knowledge! Publish a whitepaper or something and post it on the net so ppl can learn.

Just my $0.02.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2464 posts
1086 upvotes
Just got back from futureshop, and I'm not too happy.

Imation switched up their MEDIA-IDs since the last round of Imations went on sale.

Imation DVD+R: CMC MAG-M01-00
Imation DVD-R: CMC MAG. AM3

Looks like I'll be returning these, with NO THANKS.

Wouldn't it be great if they identified the MEDIA-ID on the packaging?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
drunkgoat wrote: Just got back from futureshop, and I'm not too happy.

Imation switched up their MEDIA-IDs since the last round of Imations went on sale.

Imation DVD+R: CMC MAG-M01-00
Imation DVD-R: CMC MAG. AM3

Looks like I'll be returning these, with NO THANKS.

Wouldn't it be great if they identified the MEDIA-ID on the packaging?
Same as the Philips. I'd bite if they were $7/50 like last year, but not for this price. Luckily I bought 8x25 packs of Verbatim for $4.99 :D
Sep 30, 2001
28859 posts
8121 upvotes
Toronto
Orion168 wrote: why don't you set up a website yourself and post your findings.
he doesn't have time.
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
MrDisco wrote: he doesn't have time.
That's it in a nutshell. Doing a good job would require frequent updates and a LOT more data then the current attempt is giving. Also, I suck at trying to "dumb things down" for people, and end up being more blunt and rude then educational. Sometimes I have to use "translators" to go from "excessive geek speak" to "regular person" language :razz:
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Nov 24, 2005
355 posts
9 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: That's it in a nutshell. Doing a good job would require frequent updates and a LOT more data then the current attempt is giving. Also, I suck at trying to "dumb things down" for people, and end up being more blunt and rude then educational. Sometimes I have to use "translators" to go from "excessive geek speak" to "regular person" language :razz:
Then put up a FAQ or something and point ppl to the post, otherwise, why would your word be any better than the author on DigitalFAQ, especially if you claim to be an expert in the field of blank media? I'm not doubting your expertise, but since I don't know you, or the author from DigitalFAQ, it would be nice for you to post actual data on your claims rather than just saying the site is wrong..... don't worry about the technical babble...Try me... why is DigitalFAQ inaccurate?? They make big claims on which media is better, I'd like to know why you think it's wrong. More importantly, which blank media is the best in your opinion and why??

I believe your information will not only help me, but the many ppl that come across this thread to find out why one brand is better than others.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
I went to walmart this morning and I picked up two pack of memorex 16x 100s for $17.99 each
no limit per purchase
Jul 15, 2002
170 posts
3 upvotes
went to FS and they had the fuji dvd's on sale also but you had to mail in a $10 rebate... $27 each 100/spindle - $10 mail-in rebate = $17 per 100 dvds... sold out a lot faster than the other brand...
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
terranaj98 wrote: which is the best?
None, since FS, BB and TS are all SOLD OUT! :evil:

I was too freaking busy snagging other stuff, that I totally forgot to grab a few DVD-R's.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Orion168 wrote: Sooo.. instead of getting frustrated replying to the same topic over and over again on RFD, why don't you set up a website yourself and post your findings. I would think it would be a more effective way of communicating the info to the public than these forums. DigitalFAQ is highly ranked on search engines when searching for media info, so it's natural that ppl will read the info first (and thus, you'll be always be put into a defensive position, explaining and re-explaining why it's inaccurate).

If you are the expert in blank media, share the knowledge! Publish a whitepaper or something and post it on the net so ppl can learn.

Just my $0.02.
But then, posting on RFD, the DD can change his post everytime slightly as things change in the media. If he makes a website, that means he probably has to update it every week or so.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Orion168 wrote: Then put up a FAQ or something and point ppl to the post, otherwise, why would your word be any better than the author on DigitalFAQ, especially if you claim to be an expert in the field of blank media? I'm not doubting your expertise, but since I don't know you, or the author from DigitalFAQ, it would be nice for you to post actual data on your claims rather than just saying the site is wrong..... don't worry about the technical babble...Try me... why is DigitalFAQ inaccurate?? They make big claims on which media is better, I'd like to know why you think it's wrong. More importantly, which blank media is the best in your opinion and why??

I believe your information will not only help me, but the many ppl that come across this thread to find out why one brand is better than others.

Thanks.
Most of us can answer your questions right there (from being on RFD too much) =P

Digital FAQ is, first of all, OUTDATED. I believe it was written back in 2003 or something, and as I stated before, quality of media change very rapidly and from batch to batch. The batch one manufacutrer made today may have been superb, but the next day may not be. When we buy media, we're looking for the brand that gives the best stability in their manufacturing process and best Quality Assurance process.

For DD, his media of preference is Maxell BQ > Maxell Plus/MCC Verbatim/TY > > all the other crappy brands
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Orion168 wrote: Then put up a FAQ or something and point ppl to the post, otherwise, why would your word be any better than the author on DigitalFAQ, especially if you claim to be an expert in the field of blank media? I'm not doubting your expertise, but since I don't know you, or the author from DigitalFAQ, it would be nice for you to post actual data on your claims rather than just saying the site is wrong..... don't worry about the technical babble...Try me... why is DigitalFAQ inaccurate?? They make big claims on which media is better, I'd like to know why you think it's wrong. More importantly, which blank media is the best in your opinion and why??

Thanks.
I've re-written the DigitalFAQ once or twice already, at least one of them is in my own FAQ thread in the hardware section if I recall correctly. The problem is pointing you to it :P but if you do some searches of DigitalFAQ you should be able to find it.

One of the biggest problems is how quickly things change though. What's true today was not true 4-5 months ago, and will potentially not be true in another 4 months. It's impossible to predict, and it's hard to stay on top of.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Vinman wrote: None, since FS, BB and TS are all SOLD OUT! :evil:

I was too freaking busy snagging other stuff, that I totally forgot to grab a few DVD-R's.
NCIX might still have a few deals? Just not the good $19.99 Verbatim deal anymore.
DVD
Feb 23, 2002
605 posts
39 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: NCIX might still have a few deals? Just not the good $19.99 Verbatim deal anymore.
Are the Verbatim's good enough to pay an $15 shipping charge to MB on one hive?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
pcguy wrote: Are the Verbatim's good enough to pay an $15 shipping charge to MB on one hive?
That depends ENTIRELY on how important the data you're burning is to you ;)
DVD
Sep 30, 2001
28859 posts
8121 upvotes
Toronto
pcguy wrote: Are the Verbatim's good enough to pay an $15 shipping charge to MB on one hive?
why not buy them locally from the source?
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
MrDisco wrote: why not buy them locally from the source?
The Source was probably still cancelling orders when that was written ;)
DVD
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4525 posts
44 upvotes
I bought the stack of Memorex and I'm having a horrible experience with them. I tried to burn some videos into a DVD movie and it crapped out on me! I guess I'll stick to DYNEX..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)