• Mar 8th, 2007 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Chigu wrote: Note: I'm an accountant I like to reduce the unknown variables as much as possible. I'm risk averse.
That pretty much means you would need to avoid buying name brand media almost entirely then...
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: That pretty much means you would need to avoid buying name brand media almost entirely then...
So which ones should I buy?
Apr 17, 2005
442 posts
43 upvotes
I too got tired of searching for name brand discs with a certain serial number, packaging, MIJ sticker, etc. Now I always just buy the 100-packs of Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs when they go on sale at NCIX.
Dec 10, 2003
553 posts
13 upvotes
Chigu wrote: Hi, what program can I use to scan for errors. i use the 16x Maxell (those are the only one's that i can find) but I burn at 8x. An extra 2 mins to ensure no errors is worth it for me.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Before the 16x dvd's came out ..Maxell had 8x dvd to purchase. The 8x rated dvdr are much better than the 16x which are in the stores now.

Yes lowering your burn rate may help a little..but what I am saying is it depends on who actually makes the dvd and how they make it is more important than lowering your burn rate.

If you have the full version of Nero.. there is a cd-dvd tools you can use.

There is a program call DVDinfo Pro as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Chigu wrote: So which ones should I buy?
Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):
- Taiyo Yuden Value Line, TruBlu by Taiyo Yuden

Mid-term:
- Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs (3-5 years+) - Discs with MAP6 serial code are known to have bad batches
- Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x DVD
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Chigu wrote: it's the lack of information available to informed consumers is what I'm concerned about. I dont' remember the last time I purchased a product whereby the manufacturer wasn't stated on the label or the product specifications. Also ... it's the longevity I'm concerned with as well.
When a company chooses to bet their brand on it (by not differentiating between outsourced manufacturers), I'm sure that they ALL meet their production standards. (Of course, you could guess that those standards are not particularly high, esp. for cheap, disposable blank media.)

Moreover, I wouldn't worry too much about anything more than say 5 - 7 years from now, unless you have some really HUGE stock to archive. You WILL need to port (transfer) your files onto some other media a-n-y-w-a-y.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
[quote="The Digital Dolphin" post_id="4764653" time="1173301584" user_id="5863"]Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):

Mid-term:
- Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs (3-5 years+) - Discs with MAP6 serial code are known to have bad batches
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45342 posts
5893 upvotes
Richmond Hill
[quote="The Digital Dolphin" post_id="4764653" time="1173301584" user_id="5863"]Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):

Mid-term:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)