• Mar 8th, 2007 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44576 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Chigu wrote: The different Media ID's for the same type of Disc pisses me off!!!! I use Maxell Dvd-R's to burn my DVD movies and I haven't had many problems with them at all. I assumed that Maxell was considered to be "1st class media" according to the website link I attached below, but when I put in the disc the media ID was ProdiscF02, which is actually "2nd class media". I didn't care as I was getting quality burns and didn't really have any major issues with the longevity of the media; so when they ran out I purchased what I thought was an identical Maxell DVD-R it had the same outer packaging, was 16x, and the top was gold, it was aesthetically identical to the other spindle that I had finished. But now when I put those into my computer the Media ID is RITEKF1, still "2nd class media" but a totally different manufacturer and according to the website below, there have been some issues with this manufacturer. Why don't they just state the media ID information on the packaging itself. I'm just hoping that these work out, I'm glad I only bought the 50 DVD spindle, rather than the 100. STUPID manufacturers, why do they do this with blank media. I'm sure a Sony LCD t.v is not manufactured by some no name brand company!!!

End of rant.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

For the last time, that quite is extremely outdated and was not 100% accurate when it was not outdated.

Someone should get them to remove that guide.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: For the last time, that quite is extremely outdated and was not 100% accurate when it was not outdated.

Someone should get them to remove that guide.
I agree that the guide may be outdated. But it doesn't negate the fact that both spindles were made by different manufacturers (different Media ID). The reason why I repurchased what I thought was the exact same media was because I had no issues with the previous spindle, now that I know it's from another manufacturer, it doesn't mean that it was produced with the same dye or quality standards. Basically, I don't have any assurance that these will be of the same quality. The issue is the fact that the manufacturers dont' disclose the media ID on the outside label of the DVD. It's like buying Heinz ketchup, and realizing it was actually 'no name' ketchup with a Heinz label. Sure it has the Heinz logo, but it's definitely not Heinz quality.

Self realization: Sorry if it gets annoying, but i like using examples of everyday products :D :D
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44576 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Chigu wrote: I agree that the guide may be outdated. But it doesn't negate the fact that both spindles were made by different manufacturers (different Media ID). The reason why I repurchased what I thought was the exact same media was because I had no issues with the previous spindle, now that I know it's from another manufacturer, it doesn't mean that it was produced with the same dye or quality standards. Basically, I don't have any assurance that these will be of the same quality. The issue is the fact that the manufacturers dont' disclose the media ID on the outside label of the DVD. It's like buying Heinz ketchup, and realizing it was actually 'no name' ketchup with a Heinz label. Sure it has the Heinz logo, but it's definitely not Heinz quality.

Self realization: Sorry if it gets annoying, but i like using examples of everyday products :D :D
It is becuase manufacturers will outsource their consumer media to the lowest bidding factory. In the case of Maxell, sometimes it will be CMC, sometimes Prodisc, sometimes Ritek, and rarely MCC.

Although the MID is not posted on the outside, if you find spindles that say Made in Japan, then you can assure yourself that it is good quality media.

The only exception are Verbatim DVD+Rs, they are Made in Taiwan but with Verbatim's own dye.

Otherwise, pay a bit more and buy professional media, which are always made by Maxell themselves. The Plus series is only 60c each if you buy 50, and they're guaranteed to be made my Maxell themselves.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4368 posts
205 upvotes
Just to clarify, you haven't had any quality problems, but you're still upset?

Sometimes we think we know too much about some things from what we read on the internet and take as fact.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
Impossibles wrote: Just to clarify, you haven't had any quality problems, but you're still upset?

Sometimes we think we know too much about some things from what we read on the internet and take as fact.
I haven't had any quality issues with the first spindle I have purchased. I haven't burned enough media with the second spindle to compare. It's not the quality of the media that I am not happy with (at the moment I don't have any complaints), it's the lack of information available to informed consumers is what I'm concerned about. I dont' remember the last time I purchased a product whereby the manufacturer wasn't stated on the label or the product specifications. Also, it's not only the quality of the burn I'm concerned about. I don't mind burning at lower speeds (although my Ritek's (long time ago) were a piece of garbage), it's the longevity I'm concerned with as well. Also if I do encounter a problem with a certain manufacturers disk, I don't want to make the generalization that all Maxell media is bad. I want to be able to state that "Maxell media made by manufacturer 'x' is no good".

Note: I'm an accountant I like to reduce the unknown variables as much as possible. I'm risk averse.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Chigu wrote: Note: I'm an accountant I like to reduce the unknown variables as much as possible. I'm risk averse.
That pretty much means you would need to avoid buying name brand media almost entirely then...
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: That pretty much means you would need to avoid buying name brand media almost entirely then...
So which ones should I buy?
Apr 17, 2005
440 posts
42 upvotes
I too got tired of searching for name brand discs with a certain serial number, packaging, MIJ sticker, etc. Now I always just buy the 100-packs of Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs when they go on sale at NCIX.
Dec 10, 2003
547 posts
12 upvotes
Chigu wrote: Hi, what program can I use to scan for errors. i use the 16x Maxell (those are the only one's that i can find) but I burn at 8x. An extra 2 mins to ensure no errors is worth it for me.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Before the 16x dvd's came out ..Maxell had 8x dvd to purchase. The 8x rated dvdr are much better than the 16x which are in the stores now.

Yes lowering your burn rate may help a little..but what I am saying is it depends on who actually makes the dvd and how they make it is more important than lowering your burn rate.

If you have the full version of Nero.. there is a cd-dvd tools you can use.

There is a program call DVDinfo Pro as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Chigu wrote: So which ones should I buy?
Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):
- Taiyo Yuden Value Line, TruBlu by Taiyo Yuden

Mid-term:
- Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs (3-5 years+) - Discs with MAP6 serial code are known to have bad batches
- Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x DVD
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Chigu wrote: it's the lack of information available to informed consumers is what I'm concerned about. I dont' remember the last time I purchased a product whereby the manufacturer wasn't stated on the label or the product specifications. Also ... it's the longevity I'm concerned with as well.
When a company chooses to bet their brand on it (by not differentiating between outsourced manufacturers), I'm sure that they ALL meet their production standards. (Of course, you could guess that those standards are not particularly high, esp. for cheap, disposable blank media.)

Moreover, I wouldn't worry too much about anything more than say 5 - 7 years from now, unless you have some really HUGE stock to archive. You WILL need to port (transfer) your files onto some other media a-n-y-w-a-y.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
[quote="The Digital Dolphin" post_id="4764653" time="1173301584" user_id="5863"]Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):

Mid-term:
- Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs (3-5 years+) - Discs with MAP6 serial code are known to have bad batches
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44576 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
[quote="The Digital Dolphin" post_id="4764653" time="1173301584" user_id="5863"]Short Term Use (several months to a year or 2):

Mid-term:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)