Shopping Discussion

Dynamex for Amazon.ca. Could drunken monkeys do a better job?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2019 7:31 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2009
76 posts
48 upvotes

Dynamex for Amazon.ca. Could drunken monkeys do a better job?

I order from Amazon.ca all of the time. I'd say that I've had Dynamex as the courier maybe a dozen times or more in the past year and very few of those deliveries have gone smoothly.

They've only gotten two same day deliveries on time out of 8 attempts. They miss my two day Prime deliveries just as frequently as the same day deliveries. I haven't really minded this so far, as Amazon refunds my delivery charge each time and extends my Prime membership by a month as compensation. If they didn't cap the Prime extensions at 10 months, I could probably rely on Dynamex's missed deliveries to ensure that I never had to pay for Prime again.

I've also had one of their delivery guys hop my back fence to deliver two parcels. He left one of them at the back door, and hid the other in my kid's playhouse. He left a post it on the parcel at the back door indicating that the other parcel was hidden in the playhouse. The post it blew off, and I found it weeks later when cleaning my yard and only then looked in the playhouse.

On Sunday, I ordered a Fitbit for my wife's birthday. I didn't need to have it until this coming weekend, so I went with my normal Prime two day delivery. I was given a guaranteed delivery date of Tuesday, but I cringed when I saw that the tracking info indicated that Dynamex was the carrier. On Tuedsay, the tracking info indicated that the parcel had been delivered at 11:00 am. I got home from work, and there was no parcel. A family member was home at the time and said that nobody had come to the door. I checked my security footage, and it verified that no delivery attempt had been made. I complained to Amazon CS, and received a reply stating that there was a mistake with the tracking info and that the parcel would be delivered today by 5:00pm and that Amazon would automatically follow up to ensure this happened. So, 7:00 pm rolled around and still no parcel... I did negative feedback on my original Amazon CS response, and when I submitted it I was prompted to see if I wanted to be called on the issue. I agreed, and a very nice lady called me and listened to my story.

She put me on hold to call Dynamex, and came back a few minutes later and said that she couldn't reach them. She promised to call me once she was able to. She called back at 9:05 pm and said that Dynamex actually delivers until 9:00 pm instead of 5:00 pm as I was told by the first CS rep. However, it still never came. Long story short, I got a refund, made sure that the CS rep forwarded feedback that the sale had been lost entirely due to Dynamex.

Has anyone else had crappy service from Dynamex, or am I just cursed somehow? When I have seen the delivery people, they have been random non-uniformed guys in unmarked vans. One guy even seemed to be on foot for the delivery.. there were no vehicles anywhere near my house when he dropped off the parcel. Is this the low end of courier companies? Sort of like Coffee Time is to donut chains?
153 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5340 posts
3166 upvotes
Dynamex sucks.
Amazon sucks even more.

"I complained to Amazon CS, and received a reply stating that there was a mistake with the tracking info and that the parcel would be delivered today by 5:00pm and that Amazon would automatically follow up to ensure this happened."
110% lying to get rid of you

If you read my "Another Idiot Amazon.ca CS Rep" thread, I actually didn't even receive that package. They made me wait until Tuesday. The package was nowhere to be seen. I go to chat and ask the rep where the freaking package is. Rep apologizes and says she'll refund me right away. The price of the item had increased by $10, so I said Send a replacement, I am not paying $10 more because of your incompetence. That one arrived on Thursday. Two-day shipping turned into 1-week+ shipping.

When you have a problem like this, Amazon reps spew as much BS as they can. Next time just tell the rep to either send a replacement right away or give you free One-day shipping on a new order.

"I've forwarded this to concern team on your behalf to avoid such inconvenience in future. I assure this will never repeat again." :lol: Another lie that I heard from an Amazon rep this week.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2009
76 posts
48 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 1:59 am
"I've forwarded this to concern team on your behalf to avoid such inconvenience in future. I assure this will never repeat again." :lol: Another lie that I heard from an Amazon rep this week.
They can have some influence over which shipper gets your packages, despite what they say. I no longer have Canada Post handle my subscribe and save items because they were treating them as signature required. So, I was having to go to my local Shopper's Drug Mart Canada Post location to pick up items that I could have just purchased from Shopper's anyway. After complaining, those items never come via Canada Post anymore. Only UPS.

By the way, Dynamex screwed me again! Last night around 7 pm, their delivery guy (who looked more like someone that might come to my porch to steal a parcel than someone there to drop one off) ran up my porch, dropped off the now cancelled and refunded Fitbit delivery, and fled. He didn't give me a chance to refuse the package! The parcel had been opened too.

Since I've already been refunded and I'm too honest to simply keep the Fitbit, I'm now locked in a childish stalemate with Amazon CS over how they are going to get the parcel back. They want me to treat it like a normal return (go out of my way to take it to a postal outlet for return shipping), and I'm being a dick and insisting that they send someone to pick it up. I'll more than likely end up losing... but the exchange back and forth is entertaining for now.
Dec 15, 2012
30 posts
44 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I hate-hate-hate-HATE Dynamex. I only started seeing shipments from them when the Canada Post strike became imminent, and they are by far the worst courier I have ever dealt with.

I frequently have items delivered to my work because our Canada Post guy is awesome (and the Canada Post lady who delivers to my house sucks). With Dynamex, twice they've delivered on a Saturday when the package should have arrived on Friday. My office is only open Mon-Fri, and there's only a small mail slot when we're closed. The first shipment was too big so they left it just sitting by the front door in the hot sun for anyone walking by to steal (thank God it wasn't raining that day). The second was a Kindle, and they completely mangled the package just to cram it in the mail slot. Thankfully the Kindle itself wasn't damaged.

I never thought I'd actually miss Canada Post deliveries until I had to deal with this garbage.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5340 posts
3166 upvotes
RMS wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 9:32 am
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 1:59 am
They can have some influence over which shipper gets your packages, despite what they say. I no longer have Canada Post handle my subscribe and save items because they were treating them as signature required. So, I was having to go to my local Shopper's Drug Mart Canada Post location to pick up items that I could have just purchased from Shopper's anyway. After complaining, those items never come via Canada Post anymore. Only UPS.

By the way, Dynamex screwed me again! Last night around 7 pm, their delivery guy (who looked more like someone that might come to my porch to steal a parcel than someone there to drop one off) ran up my porch, dropped off the now cancelled and refunded Fitbit delivery, and fled. He didn't give me a chance to refuse the package! The parcel had been opened too.

Since I've already been refunded and I'm too honest to simply keep the Fitbit, I'm now locked in a childish stalemate with Amazon CS over how they are going to get the parcel back. They want me to treat it like a normal return (go out of my way to take it to a postal outlet for return shipping), and I'm being a dick and insisting that they send someone to pick it up. I'll more than likely end up losing... but the exchange back and forth is entertaining for now.
Send via FedEx, Purolator, UPS etc. who will pick up from your door, and let Amazon take the damage by refunding the shipping fee to you.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3843 posts
1771 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered a $400 item early this year with same day delivery. It was via Dynamex. Tracking showed it delivered but of course, it wasn't. Chatted with Amazon, they said to wait 3 days, if it doesn't show, they will refund. Of course it doesn't show. Chat with Amazon, they say a refund will be issued immediately - they refund, plus an extra 10% (for the inconvenience, I assume). 7 weeks later the package shows up. That was months ago, I've held it waiting to hear from Amazon. :)
Nov 7, 2014
607 posts
255 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Haha yeah they suck. If I remember correctly they don't deliver to post boxes, so if you put P. O. Box 0 then Canada post will most likely deliver it.

OTOH the Amazon delivery service in my city is crazy. I wasn't home when they tried to deliver. They called me every hour or 2 that day (which I ignored) until I finally picked up and the guy asked to deliver it to me right away. I said I wasn't home and he told me to call him back when I got home. I didn't call back but they delivered again that evening.

It literally felt like I was being stalked lol
RFD Staff Writer
Sep 13, 2015
509 posts
3954 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had a particularly memorable Dynamex experience from a couple of years ago.

I ordered a textbook, Amazon sent the wrong version, so they had a replacement sent out for same day delivery via Dynamex. It's around 7pm and I get a phone call from a blocked number - it's the Dynamex delivery guy. He says he can't find my address, which was ridiculous since I lived on a major street in Toronto and finding addresses is essentially his job. He asks if I could go outside and wait so he knows which building it is. I agree since I needed the book sooner rather than later. 15 minutes later, I get another call - he's at the intersection a block north because he "can't make a u-turn" to come back and asks me to go meet him. I agree - lo and behold, he's not there. I start walking back since it was a complete waste of time and he calls again - he found the address and delivered the package. I get back and he "delivered" it on the sidewalk three feet from the door. Hands down the most infuriating Amazon experience I've ever had.

I was angry enough that I wrote a really long email complaint to customer service and CC'd Jeff Bezos. They ended up giving me a $10 credit and thankfully I haven't had any packages since then delivered by Dynamex.
Ice Town Costs Ice Clown His Town Crown
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19020 posts
1476 upvotes
Wow, I have never heard of this "Dynamex" service, and from the sounds of it, hope I never do. Are they a GTA only courier?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Jul 25, 2009
76 posts
48 upvotes
[/quote]
Send via FedEx, Purolator, UPS etc. who will pick up from your door, and let Amazon take the damage by refunding the shipping fee to you.
[/quote]

That's a good idea actually. I'll send out that offer to befuddle their CS staff. I don't even have to pay first. They can call and arrange for the pick up with their account info. At my work, we return lost items to people this way. My other offer will be to compensate me for my time in going to the local post office, plus shipping and handing. Technically, the package arrived opened already so I had to use tape to close it... and print the label and affix that. Haha
[OP]
Jul 25, 2009
76 posts
48 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 4:38 pm
Wow, I have never heard of this "Dynamex" service, and from the sounds of it, hope I never do. Are they a GTA only courier?
They are apparently Dallas based, and operate in several North American cities. They are owned by Transforce, a Quebec based trucking company owned by the Saputo family.

I'd never heard of them either until last year when Amazon gave me a tracking number for a parcel that seemed strange and wasn't recognized by my delivery tracking app. Another way to tell that Amazon has used Dynamex to deliver a parcel to you is that a run down and unmarked van will pull up to your house and a non-uniformed delivery person (that looks more likely to be the sort of person to steal a parcel from your porch than to deliver one) will drop it off to you. They have no hand scanners, or even paperwork for you to sign. More often than not the packaging on the items they deliver is very flimsy.

In the Toronto area at least, they do Amazon's same day deliveries. They also deliver on weekends, when they can actually manage to deliver. However, I believe that lately they have benefitted from more business due to Amazon's concerns over a Canada Post labour action.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2845 posts
911 upvotes
Montreal
Intelcom is very bad also.

Just today I told an Amazon CSR to not use them for all my orders.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6218 posts
870 upvotes
panckage wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 2:38 pm
Haha yeah they suck. If I remember correctly they don't deliver to post boxes, so if you put P. O. Box 0 then Canada post will most likely deliver it.
Post office boxes are owned/controlled by Canada Post. Courier companies do not have access to them, I have a PO box so everything Amazon sends to me is via Canada Post which is wonderful, especially since I'm not paying for any priority service and am in no rush for anything I'm ordering.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1090 posts
364 upvotes
I can also attest to Dynamex's incompetence. I was supposed to have my Amazon order shipped yesterday to a Penguin Pick-Up location, which I have done numerous times in the past with a variety of other shipping companies without any problems. However, this was the first time I have had Dynamex ship an order, and despite the fact that the Penguin Pick-Up was open when the delivery attempt was made, the delivery was unsuccessful ("No Access" according to the tracking number).

I contacted Amazon support to complain, and they said my package will be delivered the next day. However, I got a call from Dynamex today after noon, and they asked me if I wanted to pickup my package from their warehouse in Mississauga? I said no, and told them I was assured by Amazon that my order would be delivered today. The lady I spoke with from Dynamex told me that they would try to deliver it today, but due to their drivers already being out making deliveries my package may not be delivered until tomorrow. I don't understand how they could have mistook my request to have my order delivered today as a request to hold it for pickup, or why they would call me so late that it may not be possible to deliver my package on the promised date.

If Dynamex fails to deliver my package today, I will be submitting another complaint to Amazon. I will post any future updates in this thread.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18619 posts
3248 upvotes
GTA West
I had a shipment coming to my work address via Dynamex. They tried to deliver on a Saturday and of course it failed. I complained to Amazon and they sent another shipment for free. Another week after that, the first shipment appeared!

I'm not too quick to blame Dynamex because it might be Amazon who is pushing impossible delivery quotas.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?