Computers & Electronics

DynDNS alternatives, how to use with my router?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2014 11:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON

DynDNS alternatives, how to use with my router?

I have a Linksys e3200 router. I am running stock firmware. My DynDNS account is coming to an end and they are no longer offering the free option so I'm looking at alternatives. In my router setup, I go to DDNS and in the drop down box I only have options for DDNS Server: DynDNS.org, TZO.com, or disabled.

What can I do to continue using a custom domain name to access my Foscam camera and not pay for the hosting service?
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm in the same boat with my Linksys router. Without a firmware update, the router can no longer keep the dynamic DNS address updated, and we're not going to get a firmware update for an older router from Linksys. You'll just have to rely on other means, like an app running on your PC. Or just hope that your ISP doesn't change your IP address very often. Mine hasn't changed for 2 years.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35184 posts
8648 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Your router only gives you two options. Looks like you are out of luck. TZO was acquired by DynDNS so it is no longer free.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6299 posts
3801 upvotes
Toronto
What's cheapest alternative to dyndns fixed on old modem?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35184 posts
8648 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you can't get new modem firmware that supports free DNS services, then you are out of luck

Custom firmware may support it or you're just better off running a client on your Windows PC that will update your DNS service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I may end up just buying a dyndns account, it's $18.95 right now for one year.

Or will flashing to tomato give me more DDNS options?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4490 posts
968 upvotes
London
Look into DD-WRT or Tomato, which support a huge selection of dynamic DNS services. Otherwise, do as Gee suggested and run an updating client on a computer within the home network.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35184 posts
8648 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Slawek wrote: I may end up just buying a dyndns account, it's $18.95 right now for one year.

That's pretty expensive for just one domain.
May 29, 2010
229 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
Slawek wrote: I may end up just buying a dyndns account, it's $18.95 right now for one year.

With tomato I get to use no-ip.org, and its free. I just use it to access my routers setup page to see who/whazit is at home when i'm out.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11536 posts
2468 upvotes
Did you check if DD-WRT compatible with your E3200?
Slawek wrote: I have a Linksys e3200 router. I am running stock firmware. My DynDNS account is coming to an end and they are no longer offering the free option so I'm looking at alternatives. In my router setup, I go to DDNS and in the drop down box I only have options for DDNS Server: DynDNS.org, TZO.com, or disabled.

What can I do to continue using a custom domain name to access my Foscam camera and not pay for the hosting service?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
Before you get too worried about it, check how often your ISP updates your dynamic IP address. If it's once a month or longer, you needed to log in to dyndns or no-ip once a month anyway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I haven't paid attention to how often they do this to be honest. I'm with Start Communicstions, can I ask them directy?

Also it's not 1 domain for that price, it's up to 30. I'll probably end up using a second one but no where near 30.

Router won't do dd-wrt
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23680 posts
12895 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: Before you get too worried about it, check how often your ISP updates your dynamic IP address. If it's once a month or longer, you needed to log in to dyndns or no-ip once a month anyway.
Why would I need to login to noip at all? It is done by the router automatically if there is an ip change. I think it is the reason for using ddns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
will888 wrote: Why would I need to login to noip at all? It is done by the router automatically if there is an ip change. I think it is the reason for using ddns.
I think you have to log in to your actual account to confirm you're still active
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm not clear on this. Are you accessing the camera directly from outside, or are you remote controlling a PC from within the house to look at the camera? If you're just taking over the PC, why not use TeamViewer, which would remove the requirement to know your external IP address.

I just googled Foscam cameras and it seems a lot of people do access these directly. If this is what you're doing, make sure you've updated the security on the thing:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/01/bug- ... -monitors/
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Accessing the camera directly
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23680 posts
12895 upvotes
Toronto
Slawek wrote: I think you have to log in to your actual account to confirm you're still active
I had no idea that I had to. I set up a noip and dyndns account long ago. I like dyndns better and so I kind of forgotten about the noip account. Now that dyndns is going to charge, I logged in and checked up on my noip account earlier this week. It was just as I had left it more than a year ago. I never really paid attention to the details on the lower part of the ddns setup on shibby tomato. It allows me to enable a second account. So for the moment, I have both dyndns and noip running. Since you have a E3200 just like me, you should be able to run tomato on it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
What version u running?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14705 posts
2401 upvotes
Toronto

Flashing your E3200 to Shibby's latest build will give you access to most (if not all) free and paid dynamic DNS services.