• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2013 9:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28462 posts
14033 upvotes
For $10/year you could buy a domain from NameCheap and use their dynamic DNS.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2832 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know how to setup a dyn dns server on a vps?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4165 posts
720 upvotes
T.O.
Vps' usually have static ips. A domain may be cheaper
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
DynDNS sent an email today saying that they are getting a lot of complaints that a single warning email about expiration is not enough in view of their new "must log in every 30 days or lose your free account forever" policy. So they are increasing it to 2 warnings, 15 days and 5 days ahead of time. Ironically I've not had a single warning message from them since they started this policy, so whatever they think they're doing, it's not working at all. I have my own reminders set up.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1045 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
I've been receiving the email and it includes a link. Just hit the link and you're good for another month. It's pretty painless.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3768 posts
174 upvotes
Barrie
My old dlink DynDNS account is still active with no reminders... who would have thought that the best part of my router was a dns account.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1546 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
What about the Asus built in DNS service http://asusddns.appspot.com/

Edit: just tried, it worked, have access to my webcam now, bye bye DynDNS and your annoying renewals.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2441 posts
1525 upvotes
London
JamesA1 wrote: DynDNS sent an email today saying that they are getting a lot of complaints that a single warning email about expiration is not enough in view of their new "must log in every 30 days or lose your free account forever" policy. So they are increasing it to 2 warnings, 15 days and 5 days ahead of time. Ironically I've not had a single warning message from them since they started this policy, so whatever they think they're doing, it's not working at all. I have my own reminders set up.
You state you have your own reminders.
Presumably then, you log in every 30 days or less.
Therefore you won't get emailed reminders.

The email stated,
"both sent if you have not manually logged in within the last 30 days"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
^ That could be, but I think I'm logging in within 3 days of the deadline, so I should already have received the 5-day warning.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)