Shopping Discussion

Dyson stick vacs: too unreliable to be an RFD fave?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 4:39 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
956 posts
423 upvotes
Prince Edward County…

Dyson stick vacs: too unreliable to be an RFD fave?

Don't get me wrong. We love our V7, our Miele stays in the closet now and we clean two houses with our stick-vac. I am grateful to RFD members to alerting me to the Dyson refurb sales on Ebay.

But anyone considering a cordless should read this consumer reports link, half of Dyson vacuums fail within 5 years. (Especially after year two)

https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-v ... ty-issues/

Consumer Reports, in my opinion, is the perfect companion to RFD. A bargain device is useless if it ends up in the trash. I have great respect for Consumer Reports. Here is why their reviews are far far better than any other online reviews out there. The response from Dyson to this report is really interesting: if Dyson wants to improve the durability of their machines, I'm sure that's in their power, I wish them luck with that: if they succeed, then the data will eventually show that.

Many people on RFD rely on anecdotes from this forum to make purchases. Anecdotes are not useless, but they are far less revealing than the DATA from many users tracked by CR.

Again, I love my Dyson V7. I hope it lasts. But if I bought a new stick vac today, I'd look at a Shark, based on data for reliability, as well as user satisfaction. (which is on par with Dyson) I have not done a cost-benefit analysis of a Shark vs. a refurb Dyson. It could well be that the refurb Dyson remains good value, even with a higher failure rate. But I personally ALWAYS will default to the more durable machine. I hate throwing stuff out, I'd rather pay more for something that lasts.

I love my V7, for now. If it dies before 5 years, I'll review the data for sure. I know of no better place to do that than CR. Incidentally, many people can get free access to their online site through membership at their local library. Toronto Library, gives you access to Consumer Reports, for example, as do others.
Last edited by MooseOnLoose on Mar 2nd, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5726 posts
2100 upvotes
Alberta
I would never buy one or even consider any Dyson product. It's too expensive not worth the price.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
956 posts
423 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 11:54 am
I would never buy one or even consider any Dyson product. It's too expensive not worth the price.
Retail prices, agreed, they are too high for what you get. I bought my refurb V7b for $192 via Dyson's ebay site, and a soft roller for $90 from an ebay seller. (Who replaced it under warranty when it failed after a month)

I don't know if I could have got a more reliable brand for that cheap. But knowing what I know now from CR, I would explore before buying a Dyson, at any price. Even though I love it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28086 posts
13899 upvotes
Ottawa
I own a Dyson canister and would never buy a battery powered vacuum.
Batteries have a life span and loses its capacity as it ages.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15635 posts
5855 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 12:24 pm
I think this is part of the problem that people fail to realize when buying battery powered devices - the battery degrading as it ages is perfectly expected and planned to happen. My iPhone is not crappy because after two years of daily charging the battery is degrading, that is actually exactly how it is designed (and in Apple's case they even tell you about it). The Dyson stick vacuums can last as little as 7 minutes on a full charge - you bet you're going to charge it often and you can bet the battery will degrade over time.

The battery powered Dyson has it's place and can do some things really well. But you have to go into it expected the battery to degrade as you use it and that it's performance will noticeably suffer within 2-4 years (or more depending on your usage).
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
956 posts
423 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
vkizzle wrote:
I understand that, vkizzle, and might have said the same a year ago, we loved our Miele corded.
Now that I own a Dyson V7, I will NEVER go back to a corded canister. The only question for me is which brand I'll choose next time. Cordless sticks make vacuuming incomparably easy for us, as a result, our house is way cleaner with far less effort. Also, we may have been spending as much on bags for our Miele over 3-4 years as our refurb Dyson cost. And those bags are just more landfill: money in the garbage. I don't know if we'll touch the Miele again until the Dyson fails.

That actually highlights a shortcoming in the Consumer Reports article about Dyson unreliability posted above: it says that %19 of the failures before 5 years are battery failures. But you can get a new battery on Amazon for $50, I believe. So this is only a failure if you can't find the info or own a screwdriver. Most rechargeable products need the batteries replaced eventually, with current technology.
Apr 29, 2018
134 posts
69 upvotes
I have had a Black & Decker Li-ON handheld vac for quick cleanups and it works great. The RoboRock S50 handles the rest.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Dyson stick vacuum (can't remember the model, has the white canister top) and it works amazing for my apartment. It does last longer than 7 minutes for me and on the plus side it breaks down to a smaller vacuum and I can do my whole car with it.

I've had the same problem with it 2x in 2 years though. You hold the trigger to use it and it turns on and off quickly. Dysons customer support was probably some of the best and fastest support people I've ever dealt with and they told me what to do to fix it which took a whole 3 seconds.

Would I buy one all over again? Not at full retail but yes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21617 posts
7522 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
As long as the battery is at least somewhat user replaceable (as in I don't have to destroy it to get to it) I'm fine with battery powered things.