(ON, E GTA) Free travel on HWY407 ETR

Deal Link:
Price:
free
Expiry:
December 31, 2016
Hwy 407 Ajax to Oshawa = free
Starts Monday June 20

Free travel on toll highway. Hopefully highway 401 between Pickering and Oshawa will have a bit of rush hour relief for the next while. Brock Road, Pickering to Harmony Road, Oshawa
June 17, 2016 1:00 P.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Today, Ontario announced that the first section of the new Highway 407 in Durham Region will be open to traffic for morning commuters on Monday, June 20, helping to manage congestion and supporting economic growth in the region.

The highway will be open from Brock Road in Pickering to Harmony Road in Oshawa. Highway 412, which connects Highway 407 and Highway 401, will also open. There will be a toll-free period on the new Highways 407 and 412 until the new year, allowing drivers to travel on these roads free of charge. Following that, tolls will be in place.

Housing prices may stabilize and drop slightly in 2017 along the new highway 407 E route, according to some. 2-4% decrease is predicted. YMMV
Images
9 replies
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
Now they added a new bottle neck by the 412 . That part of the 401 is a disaster .
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3957 posts
872 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this the one that the toll money goes into Wynne's pocket?

Bet they are going to study the usage and decide what other highway they can start tolling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
wing0 wrote: Is this the one that the toll money goes into Wynne's pocket?

Bet they are going to study the usage and decide what other highway they can start tolling.
Yes, the Ontario Liberal government is looking at ways to increase their pot of money off the tax payer's back. Asking us to buy electronic cars in the near future is another way. Increasing hydro electric rates twice in 2016 is a third way. Laying off health care workers quietly and squeezing doctors salaries is another way.

Back to the highway :D
Plans are to take highway 407 east out to the 115/35 highway that goes north to Lindsay and Peterborough
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't get the point of making it free for a few months. Doesn't do anything except remind people of the idiotic governments we have that sold 407 in the first place. I know the new part is owned by Ont, but majority of people will be irked by the raising 407 rates.

Imagine how traffic would be on the 401 today if 407 was free ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
foodyforlife wrote: I don't get the point of making it free for a few months. Doesn't do anything except remind people of the idiotic governments we have that sold 407 in the first place. I know the new part is owned by Ont, but majority of people will be irked by the raising 407 rates.

I think the reason they made if free for the rest of the year
give them a taste
hook them for life

;)
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24800 posts
1913 upvotes
Markham, ON
coupondiva2012 wrote: I think the reason they made if free for the rest of the year
give them a taste
hook them for life

;)
another reason why the 407 should have been privatized (yes they could have sold it for more).....more tax dollar wasted for the next 6 months. Make it free for 2 months and start generating revenue for f sakes.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8560 upvotes
GTHA
coupondiva2012 wrote: Hwy 407 Ajax to Oshawa = free
Starts Monday June 20

Free travel on toll highway. Hopefully highway 401 between Pickering and Oshawa will have a bit of rush hour relief for the next while. Brock Road, Pickering to Harmony Road, Oshawa
Thread title is wrong.

407 ETR is from the QEW to Brock Road and is leased to 407 International Inc.

412 and 407 extension (Brock Road to Harmony Road) is free to the end of the year.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1520 posts
653 upvotes
foodyforlife wrote: I don't get the point of making it free for a few months. Doesn't do anything except remind people of the idiotic governments we have that sold 407 in the first place. I know the new part is owned by Ont, but majority of people will be irked by the raising 407 rates.

It's free to get people on that stretch of the highway and show them how much time they are saving, then they can start charging the tolls once they are hooked on saving some time