Art and Photography

E-m5 Mark ii - Need Good Travel Lens

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 8:07 pm
Mar 24, 2003
725 posts
194 upvotes

E-m5 Mark ii - Need Good Travel Lens

Heading to Hawaii in a couple weeks and thinking about taking my camera.

What do people recommend as good compact lens to pair with this camera?

Note I already have a M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, but that would be way too bulky for me to practically use while out and about.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
Nolan wrote: Heading to Hawaii in a couple weeks and thinking about taking my camera.

What do people recommend as good compact lens to pair with this camera?

Note I already have a M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, but that would be way too bulky for me to practically use while out and about.
What activities are you planning to do? What else are you carrying?

12-40mm makes the most sense, rugged/weatherproofed and don't have to change lenses. If you find it too bulky for what you have planned to do, I myself use the 12mm f2 for travel, and a 40-150mm
Mar 24, 2003
725 posts
194 upvotes
bhrm wrote: What activities are you planning to do? What else are you carrying?

12-40mm makes the most sense, rugged/weatherproofed and don't have to change lenses. If you find it too bulky for what you have planned to do, I myself use the 12mm f2 for travel, and a 40-150mm
I think we would only use it on hikes and beach days. None of the rough excursions.

Mostly for shots with a subject in them, not really into taking just landscape shots.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
Nolan wrote: I think we would only use it on hikes and beach days. None of the rough excursions.

Mostly for shots with a subject in them, not really into taking just landscape shots.
17mm is my favourite focal length for that purpose. It can be a good portrait lens, it can be a good landscape lens.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
I had the Lumix 20mm 1.7 on my em-10... loved that lens
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
Since you're not into landscapes, you won't need a wide angle.

You can take a reasonably fast prime like the 25mm 1.8 or the 14-150mm for a do it all lens.

I have the 14-150 and it's not bad. It's quite light and won't break the bank if you need to buy it. You might a sweet deal on Kijiji on this lens. I plan on taking that when I resume travel. The reason I like taking a zoom is that with a prime zooming with your feet is not always possible. m

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)