• May 31st, 2021 9:29 am
[OP]
Sep 29, 2012
732 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

E receipt for expenses ?

Hello

I recently open corporation. And I am using app to keep track of the receipts. I was just wondering I were to get audited for any reason can I show the e receipt as a proof or I need original copy ?
I
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5724 posts
3233 upvotes
Toronto
If audit demands paper copy, just print it.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2012
732 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: If audit demands paper copy, just print it.
But that would work ? I can print the receipt? Because app does take a pic so I guess I can print if there were to be audit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5724 posts
3233 upvotes
Toronto
sndeal wrote: But that would work ? I can print the receipt? Because app does take a pic so I guess I can print if there were to be audit.
Many companies are pushing for electronic PDF invoices like Rogers, Enbridge, hydro. Some even forces you to receive them and charges you for paper bill. Why would anyone care if a bill is an original or a copy? As long as your books are in order, you shouldnt worry. If audit demand paper invoice to make their job easier, just print a copy for them.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1937 posts
317 upvotes
Calgary
As mentioned, at a lot of places all you can get is e-Receipts. Ergo, if required for an audit, a printed copy of that e-Receipt will have to suffice.

One caveat I would add: I don't trust the app/supplier/vendor to store that eReceipt or have it available when needed. I store a PDF copy of all relevant receipts in ordinary categorized folders on our own servers. It may seem redundant and old school but I trust Murphy's Law more than anything else.